9 days for Venice & Tucsony

Mar 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

9 days for Venice & Tucsony

Hi. I've been reading the postings & taking notes. I will be flying into Venice in mid June & taking the train to Rome 10 days later giving me 9 days plus my last day of travel to see Venice, Florence & Tuscany. Most of the travel will be by train but I thought I'd rent a car in Florence & drive around Tuscany.I'd like to see the Chianti area & San Gimignano. I will leave for Rome from Florence. I will be in that area on 6/24, a holiday in Florence, which makes it tricky. I need suggestions & advice from all you experts. I'm not sure how many & which days to alot to each portion of the trip and what to do with Mondays & the times that things are closed. HELP! Please.
Mar 5th, 2004, 11:53 AM

I did that same route 5 years ago, but in the opposite direction. Was in Venice 4 nights, which should be lovely and less crowded than when I was there in July. Did not like my Hotel Ala, would not recommend it. Had taken the train up from Florence, where I spent 3 nights. Absolutely loved Florence and that was enough time. (There's actually more "to do" in Florence in terms of museums, but Venice is a walking and looking city. Had been in Rome 4 nights and rented a car there and took it all the way to Florence, the drive was easy. From Rome drove through Umbria and stopped at several lovely hilltowns, Todi was especially lovely, visited Assisi which was great and spent the night in Spello. Then spent the next day in Siena and on to our hotel on the Chiantimangana (sp? the road from Florence to Siena. Siena and this area are absolutely gorgeous. We stayed at the Villa Le Barone in Panzano in Chianti, which I highly recommend. Did a day trip to San Gimignano. Basically had two nights and two days in Tuscany and that's where my regret was, could have stayed there longer. Would probably have cut out one night in Rome (had 4). Hope that helps
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:37 PM

to seagulls,

I'm booked at the Ala, after hearing many favorable reviews. If you don't mind, could you elaborate what you didn't like about it. Thanks very much
Mar 5th, 2004, 12:56 PM

That's ironic that I mentioned not liking the hotel! I just checked the website I use a lot for reviews tripadvisor.com and saw that many people wrote favorable reviews. I was there 5 years ago, so things could have changed. It definitely was convenient and I do remember the breakfast being good. I think the common areas were a little unappealing and I remember our room to be very small. A larger one would certainly have been better. So maybe for the price range, it will be good.
Mar 5th, 2004, 01:09 PM

We stayed at Ala 2 years ago and loved it. The common areas are not spectacular but the room was very pretty. It had frescoes on the wall and ceiling and 2 large windows. The furnishings were antique style. When we booked a room, we requested a newly renovated rooms as I have heard that some of the rooms on the 4th floor are tiny and worn out.
Mar 5th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Seagull,
Thanks for the tips. How long was the drive between Florence & Rome? I will be returning the car on a Sunday & all the rental places are closed. Driving to Rome might be an option.
Mar 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM

We didn't drive directly, but I seem to remember the drive from Rome to Umbria was a couple of hours and then a couple of hours through Tuscany to Florence, I don't think bad if you're coming from Tuscany to Rome. AAA has maps that have approximate driving distances and time.