Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   9 day Ireland Itinerary May 2011- I welcome suggestions anyone? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/9-day-ireland-itinerary-may-2011-i-welcome-suggestions-anyone-880969/)

GoGreenVT Mar 7th, 2011 09:40 PM

9 day Ireland Itinerary May 2011- I welcome suggestions anyone?

Our plane tickets are purchased for then end of May- very exciting. I think I have an itineray...and some B&B thoughts- we were going to wing it/not reserve ahead of time but I'm starting to get nervous- I see many are booked for our dates, especially in Kenmare and Dublin at this point....

To preface, we are two 35-45 yr olds who are quite active, love to hike and bike the back roads of Vermont! We are not city folk but would like to see some of the impressive sites ie Book of kells/Trinity, Guiness (my favorite beer), perhaps a castle or two. My beau, moreso than I, is a history buff, but then again doesn't want to look at rock formations for the entire vacation! We would like to focus on taking in (and drinking in!- literally and figuratively!...not partiers though!) the natural beauty and landscape and staying in smaller towns- small enough to not see tour buses right and left but large enough that there's 3 or more pubs and restaurants!- enjoying the culture, a bit of music....and hence prefer to stay in nicer B&Bs- close enough to town to walk, but far enough that we can get a good night sleep!

The draft:

Day 1 Sat Arrive Shannon 5:05 AM. Pick up rental, drive to Doolin. -Cliffs of Moher
(1st overnight Doolin) Daly’s B&B?
Day 2 Sun -Aran Islands
(2nd overnight Doolin) Daly’s B&B?
Day 3 Mon -The Burrens ½ day & TRAVEL ½ day to Dingle via the ferry
(3rd overnight Dingle) Greenmount House?
Day 4 Tues Dingle -Connors Pass, perhaps Mt. Brandon 5 hr hike
(4th overnight Dingle) Greenmount House?
Day 5 Wed Dingle -Slea Head Drive & TRAVEL 3 hrs. to Kenmare
(5th overnight Kenmare) Abbey House B&B?
Day 6 Thurs Killarney – bike the Gap of Dunloe, Ross Castle, Torc waterfall
(6th overnight Kenmare) Abbey House B&B?
Day 7 Fri TRAVEL to ??? family is from Dunmanway- more info. needed/up in the air for the moment
(7th overnight ??? here)
Day 8 Sat TRAVEL to Dublin (Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle on way), return rental
(8th overnight Dublin) Parkway House?
Day 9 Sun Dublin – hop on/off bus Kilmainham Goal, Trinity/book of kells, Guiness
(9th overnight Dublin) Parkway House?
Day 10 Relax, hang out in AM @ Stephen’s Green?…fly out Dublin 5:00 pm

Suggestions? I'd welcome any thoughts. Thank you!

irishface Mar 8th, 2011 04:02 AM

This looks like a relaxing, doable trip with hikes, history, pubs, etc. Have fun!

irishface Mar 8th, 2011 05:38 AM

I just googled Dunmanway out of curiosity. There were several videos on youtube by annawhatnot--driving and walking in Dunmanway.

Looking at a map, it looks as if you could drive to Dunmanway from Kenmare and then push on to Cahir and Cashel. Depending on how much time it takes, perhaps you could spend the night in one of those places and then get a good start for Dublin the next day. My preferance would be Cashel for the overnight stop. Besides the Rock there are several little places to visit and some nice walks.

Check via.michelin for driving times.

jaja Mar 8th, 2011 10:42 AM

Dunmanway seems to be just a hop, skip and jump from Kenmare. If Dunmanway doesn't pan out to be worth spending a day, think about exploring the Beara Peninsula on Day 7. You could stay in Kinsale, perhaps, giving you a start toward Dublin on the 8th.

GoGreenVT Mar 8th, 2011 01:03 PM

Irishface,

that's what I was thinking! Kenmare to Dublin via Dunmanway and Cahir/Cashel- stay in one of these areas depending on how much time we spend searching for long lost relatives! I think I'll keep this day open/unplanned since I get the feeling these aren't the "most visited" areas/probably ok winging a B&B June 3rd, still being "shoulder season" of sorts.

I will check out the Dunmanway YouTube- thanks!

Jaja,

Beara is a good thought if we don't check out Dunmanway for some reason....if not, there's always next time! The "hop, skip, and a jump" looks to be 1 1/2 hrs. or so....then onto Cashel.

Does anyone have any lovely B&Bs we should check out?, or stayed in the ones I've mentioned above as hopefuls? or have any favorite pubs/restaurants throughout any of these areas we should stop by?

I have read good things about the Rock of Cashel and Kilmainham Goal guided tours- thoughts? worth it? Anyone have info. re: how to arrange a student tour of Trinity campus? (maybe you get off the hop on hop off bus and it's self-explanatory?) Does anyone have recommendations what order to visit the sites in Dublin- sounds like most are open from 9:30ish to 5. I have read it's best to see Kilmainham Goal first in the AM to avoid the crowds...maybe Trinity/Book of Kells next, then Guiness? We may stop at St. Patrick's or Christ's Cathedral too...for the architecture if for nothing else- if we were to see just one of them, which of the two would you all recommend?

One last random thing- I read in a few posts that Americans need to arrive at the Dublin airport 3 hrs. prior to departure???!!! (maybe this was just post 9/11?) The Dublin airport website states 90 min. Is 90 min ok?

Thanks for all the replies and help!