Ques Train from London to Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will be taking the train from London to Edinburgh next year. Before anyone asks, yes we want to ride the train. We're on award tickets and the best route for us was to and from LHR from the U.S. So we are taking the train to Edinburgh on arrival and flying back to LHR from Glasgow.

I know it's too early to book tickets yet (we're not flying till May), but I was looking at the Virgin Trains East website just to see what it looked like.

Questions:

1. How long should we allow for getting from LHR to Kings Cross train station? Our flight arrives at LHR at 6:55 a.m.

2. What does it mean when it says "Show overtaken trains"? Should I check that box when I get ready to book?

3. Standard or First Class?

4. Under the info for First Class it shows a symbol that looks like a plane diving into something and says it's complimentary for first class, but I can't find any explanation of the symbol.

5. Is the tube the best way to the train station?

Thank you!
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>So we are taking the train to Edinburgh on arrival and flying back to LHR from Glasgow.<<

If you can I would REALLY consider staying one night in London before catching the train the next morning. If you stay near Kings Cross you can have a nice dinner and get some sleep and then book an early morning train.

But to answer your questions:

>>1. How long should we allow for getting from LHR to Kings Cross train station? Our flight arrives at LHR at 6:55 a.m. <<

Allow 3.5 to 4 hours from arrival to train departure. The journey doesn't take that long but the train say 1.5 hrs at LHR and hour traveling to Kings cross that gives you an extra hour in case anything goes pear shaped.

>>2. What does it mean when it says "Show overtaken trains"? Should I check that box when I get ready to book?<<

You can ignore that bit. Juts book your tickets.

>>3. Standard or First Class?<<

1st if you can afford it -- it is a long journey and the food/beverages plus extra space will be appreciated. If you are over 60's - I'd book senior fares in 1st (you'll need to buy senior rail cards when you get to Kings cross so another reason to allow more time)

>>4. Under the info for First Class it shows a symbol that looks like a plane diving into something and says it's complimentary for first class, but I can't find any explanation of the symbol. <<

I have no idea what you describe - can you give us a link?

>>5. Is the tube the best way to the train station?<<

What day of the week? On a weekend a car service would be fastest. But on a week day the tube will be faster - but it will be a bit of a hassle at both ends. Another option would be a train to Paddington and then a cab or teh tube to Kings Cross.

But again -- IF it was me, I'd book an early train the next morning -- otherwise you will have a very VERY long travel day.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 07:26 PM

<i>Ques Train from London to Edinburgh
Posted by: patandhank on Sep 11, 16 at 7:24pm
DH and I will be taking the train from London to Edinburgh next year. </i>

There is/was a night train. That would save you a day of travel and a night of hotel.

If you go by day you could take a two night stay in York. It is well worth it.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 07:32 PM

"yes,we want to take the train" No need to apologize about that plan. It is a delightful journey, unless one happens to hate trains. Otherwise, I think you are on the right track, given the award air leg to LHR.

Concerning the above advice to spend a day/night in London, I must honestly say that I am confused by that suggestion. An 11am Virgin East departure from Kings Cross gets you into Edinburgh Waverly at approx 3:30p, giving you 3 hours in Edinburgh to find your hotel, a brief nap, shower, then plenty of time for dinner. If you followed the above suggestion, you'd get into London before you can check into a London hotel, then get into Edinburgh before you can check in there. That would make _two_ long days. Given the suggestion concerning 1st class on the train (which _ I DO_ agree with) and given the fact that that your first day is long regardless of plans to the contrary, why not spend it on a nice train rather than waiting for you hotel room to be cleaned?

You can assume there are several options to get from LHR to Kings Cross, as the above poster has suggested, - your flight crew, fellow pax, and the people at LHR can give you up to date suggestions once you are on the ground, specific to that day. I'd opine you don't actually have to have that part planned until the last minute.

As to the aforementioned symbol, I believe you are seeing a crossed knife and fork, as some food and beverages are free on first class, as well as WiFi access. Not sure if there is any other explanation for what you are seeing.

Note that there is an offering of a Edinburgh "Plus Bus" pass, which is a very good deal only for the early AM train, if you took that suggestion. Please note, the UK now has good Uber service, so if you have that app on you internet capable phone, it may be an option. We used Uber in Edinburgh and found it to be a very nice option.

If you are looking for a guide of that region who can take you around Stirling, Fife and Perthshire for one or two days, may I suggest Ricky Henderson at http://aboutscotland.net/ especially if golfing is anything you might be interested in. (Still a good suggestion if you hate golf)
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 08:14 PM

>>There is/was a night train. That would save you a day of travel and a night of hotel.<<

The sleeper makes no sense really -- that would make an even longer travel day since the train doesn't leave until 11:30 so they would be up hours longer than either taking the train right away or staying the night in London.

>>Concerning the above advice to spend a day/night in London, I must honestly say that I am confused by that suggestion. An 11am Virgin East departure from Kings Cross gets you into Edinburgh Waverly at approx 3:30p,<<

As I tried to explain . . . they will have been up all night already and then 3 or 4 hours on the ground in London, then a 4.5 hour train ride, then getting to their Edinburgh hotel . . . doable? Yes. But depending on where they are starting out from that could give them a 25 to 30+ hour travel day.

>>You can assume there are several options to get from LHR to Kings Cross, as the above poster has suggested, - your flight crew, fellow pax, and the people at LHR can give you up to date suggestions once you are on the ground, specific to that day. I'd opine you don't actually have to have that part planned until the last minute. <<

Bad idea IMO/IME. Landing at LHR w/ no plan and jet lag could be difficult.

Basically the choices are 1) the tube. 2) a car service - but it MUST be pre-booked. Can't be arranged after arrival at LHR. like justairports.com 3) train to Paddington then tube or a taxi to Kings Cross. A taxi all the way from LHR isn't a good idea since it would cost twice as much as a car service.

>>as <i>some</i> food and beverages are free on first class<<

All food and bev are free -- depending on the day of the week. On weekends the offerings are less extensive. That could be the symbol but I really don't see a knife/fork looking like an airplane but maybe??

I've ridden the London / Edinburgh (or London / Glasgow) train 5 times in the last 2.5 years.

Only you know how you suffer or don't suffer from jet lag and if you can sleep on transatlantic flights. If you normally arrive in good shape -- then sure - a noon-ish train would be very doable.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 10:19 PM

<i>"Show overtaken trains"</i>

It means do you want slower trains to be shown which will be overtaken by other trains.

Personally if I was at Heathrow and wanted to get to Edinburgh I would fly. Why subject yourself to the hassle and stress of getting into central London. If you take a flight that departs at the same time as the train from KX you

1) Give yourself an extra hour leeway in case of a late arriving flight
2) Be in central Edinburgh 3 hours before the train
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 10:40 PM

You can always get the train to London on the return journey.

Try to get seats by a window on the right-hand side going from London to Edinburgh, or the left-hand side Edinburgh to London. That way uou get the best view going through Durham and Newcastle, and a quick glimpse of Lindisfarne.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 01:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, a Senior Railcard costs £30 per person, so do your sums to make sure it's worthwhile if you only intend catching the train once.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 05:19 AM

>>Personally if I was at Heathrow and wanted to get to Edinburgh I would fly. <<

Me too. I love the train -- but the hassle of getting from LHR to KingsX - flying makes more sense when one is already AT the airport.

Re the senior rail card -- yes, £30 pp. I'd only bother IF you decide on First Class because 2nd class tix are cheap enough w/o the discounts.

Actually - a '2 travel together' rail card might be an even better deal. it is also £30 but that is for the pass, not pp. You need to have to passport photos and it is best to download and complete the form at home -- then build in enough time to queue at the station to buy the pass.

W/ either pass -- you'd want to advance purchase your tickets as though you already had the rail card. Then you need to buy the actual pass before boarding the train.

But honestly . . . the hassle . . . juts fly.

You will have a lot of time in Edinburgh to buy the rail card for a return journey to London (however -- IF you are merely returning to LHR to fly home, I'd fly)
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 08:54 AM

Last May we did what you are doing - had a great airfare deal from LAX to LHR.

We opted to fly BA to Edinburgh from London for all the reasons posted above - plus the fact that it was not much more cost-wise, especially when figuring transport to King's Cross.

I did take the train back to London (with a two-night stop in Newcastle). First class all the way. Lovely.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your information. It is very helpful!

We are over 60 so we'll check on the senior ticket first class.

DocDan - I think DocDan you're right about the symbol being a crossed fork and knife now that I go back and look with that in mind.

You're also correct on the reason why we opted to take the train to Edinburgh versus the other way around. Typically when we've flown to Europe we really aren't that tired (excitement I think) going and frequently do sightseeing after landing. We will be flying business class award seats so hopefully will also get some sleep on the plane on the leg over. So our thought was simply to enjoy the train going and it will get us to Edinburgh not to early for hotel check-in. I already have air tickets booked coming back from Glasgow and we are staying the overnight in London coming back as our flight out of London leaves mid-morning the next day.

Janisj - our flight will arrive in London on a Tuesday. A car service might be the way to go - we do that here.

I really appreciate all of your comments on flying versus train and we'll discuss a little more too since we have some time.

Thanks again
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 07:37 PM

Really the easiest way to get from LHR to Kings Cross is by a car service. I have done just that but opting to spend the night before a morning departure to Edinburgh. For car services I'd recommend either www.justairports.com or www.blackberrycars.com

It will be a long day and you may find the initial excitement soon diminishes as the day wears on and fatigue sets in. I fly business class but never seem to get much sleep. Others don't have a problem. Knowing my limitations, I always spend at least the first night in London and catch the 9:00 to Waverley Station, but this should be your decision not mine.