9.5 days in Italy need advice on itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just booked fabulous tickets on Iberia Airline (Really Cheap) for November 2-13 for my honeymoon in ITALY!! So, now I need advice: (hotels,restaurants,trips, etc). So far, we get to FCO at 11:15AM on November 3 and leave from FCO at 8:15 on November 13 back to NYC. From reading all the posts I want to go to Rome, Florence, Venice. Would appreciate any advice on planning this trip. Hotels don't have to be luxury but under $250USD a night. Thank you
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Elaboration on flights, arrive 11:15AM, leave 8:15AM
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:30 PM

OK, here's my take on it. Arrive Rome and stay for four nights. Then take a train to Florence for two nights. You will arrive about noon so have a full afternoon plus a full day with two nights. Then take a train to Venice for three nights (the 9th, 10th, and 11th). Take a train back to Rome for a final night at a hotel in Rome then home on the 13th.
There are many choices for hotels. Mine (based on the idea of character and charm rather than big and impersonal) would be the Raphael in Rome, the Hermitage in Florence, and the Rialto in Venice, only if you can book soon and be guaranteed Room #402 --the special room there facing the grand canal with a balcony. The Rialto may be a little more expensive, but the average of the three will be well within your budget total.

I am not a big lover of Florence, so that explains my short stay there (but I agree it is a must see).
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'll get lots of (sometime conflicting) advice in response to your very general request. Everyone has their own perspective on what one should see in Italy. Museums, art, scenery, food, shopping, history are subjects you need to prioritize in your own (and your future husband's) mind in order to plan your trip. We can't do that for you.

Personally, if I had only 9-10 days and it was my honeymoon, I'd limit the itinerary to two places and in early November I'd stick to Rome and south. How about Capri or Sorrento or somewhere on the Amalfi Coast for a few days before or after Rome?

We liked the Fontanella Borghese Hotel in Rome (under $200) and the Bellevue Syrene Hotel in Sorrento (just over $200).
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:42 AM

HI
I tend to want to go to my farthest point first (even tho' I arrive tired), and then work my way back to my last stop.
So my suggestion would be, arrive in Rome and change planes and fly to Venice. Should cost about $100-120 euros pp. Spend 4 days in Venice, including the tiring day you arrive.
Take the train to Florence, spend 3 days. End in Rome, go home.

My hotel of choice in Rome is the Santa Chiara which I think will fit into your budget. Great location, great breakfast, great hotel. For Venice, look into the Ala, Flora, Colombina.

I have files on the 3 cities above; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:56 AM

I agree with the other post to consider staying south. I'd arrive Rome and immediately head to Positano (Amalfi Coast) for a few days to relax and recover and enjoy. Train into Florence and side trip to Siena/Lucca some other hill towns, 4 nights, end in Rome. Save Venice and the Northern region for another trip someday. If you must include it then train from Amalfi (overnight?) to Venice for 2 nights (Hotel Galleria), to Florence for 2 (Hotel Dali), and Rome for the rest. The hotels I mentioned are where we are staying for our honeymoon there in late June. Cheap but nice. We prefer to spend our money on the experience/food/drink/fun and just want a nice clean safe place to sleep, doesn't need to be luxury. If you check out the hotel galleria ask for a large canal view room, about 135 euro. Congrats!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. After reading these boards, we decided to stay on the south side of Italy. We plan to stay in Rome the first 4 nights, then head to the Amalfi Coast (any suggestions); someone told me about a little island in the bay of Naples with a Roman spa, anybody have any info insight. I am so excited and overwhelmed by the amount of information on this site. Also, this is going to sound dumb but, is the difference between the double and the single the number of beds? Does a couple need a double. Recommendations...
Old May 4th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

change of plans: turns out fiance wants to visit his parents hometown: Gravagna, which is 2 hours north of florence, so it seems we are taking a northern tour. Back to the original plan, start at venice and head south. Any ideas..
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:34 AM

Ingrid, I'd still try and make it to the Amalfi coastal area. After time spent with his relatives-surely you'll be eager for some private, just-the-two of you time...Amalfi is so romantic! We're headed there in November, and are considering the Santa Caterina, with the most breathtaking views! I believe Hillary Clinton once stayed there (but don't hold that against the hotel).
Another idea-when heading south, use Sorrento as base and travel from there on day trips.