9-10 day Italy itinerary needed!

Aug 7th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Lori

9-10 day Italy itinerary needed!

I will be travelling to Italy for about 9 days in May 2001. I don't want to try to see too many cities in such a short time--but I would love to go to Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan/Lake Como area. Is this too much to attempt for my first trip? Any suggestions anyone? How many days in each place? Help!!!

Aug 8th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Art

I would concentrate on Rome (5 days), Florence (2 days) and Venice (2 days) on this trip. You'll just scratch the serface but you'll get a good feel for each of them.

Aug 8th, 2000, 01:39 PM
texasgirl

hi, i would try to narrow it down to no more than two of the big cities on your list, otherwise you'll be spending an awful lot of time in transit. I find there is a lot to absorb in each part of italy and i always want more time in every town! For a first trip, i'd recommend four or five days in rome _ a big beautiful hectic crowded city that i happen to love _ then take the train to either florence or venice for the balance. from either of those cities you could take a day trip or two, as after several days in busy cities you may be ready to see some of the countryside. have a great great trip!

Aug 8th, 2000, 01:49 PM
lisa

I'm with Texasgirl on this one. I would spend 5 days in Rome and then 4 days in either Florence or Venice (not both). Alternatively you could do 3 days in each -- Rome, Florence, and Venice -- but Rome really merits more than 3 days so this would not be nearly as preferable to me. Don't try to do too much.

Aug 8th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Amy

We are going to Italy at the end of September. We have 3 nights in Rome, 2 nights in Tuscany, 2 nights in Florence, and 2 nights in Venice. While we have been told we will be rushed we are going to give it a shot. Our thought was to get a feel for the area and then go back at a later date to the places we really enjoyed. I will let you know how it goes with a trip report when I get back.

Aug 8th, 2000, 02:21 PM
elaine

Lori,
all of the suggestions are "right", it depends on you. I don't think you should go to all the places you mention in such a short time. Milan can certainly be skipped. If you are arriving there, take a train to one of the nearby lakes if that's important to you. You can easily go on to Venice by train from there.
If you want to cover "the big three"
then go with Art's or Lisa's suggestions; you'll only be getting a taste of each place, but it's better than nothing.
Florence is charming, but its biggest
claim to fame is its art. If you are a lover of Renaissance art, even 4 or 5 days in Florence won't be enough; if you have a low tolerance for museums, then a couple of days to see the highlights with perhaps even a daytrip to Siena might be good.
Venice is in a class by itself, it is much more than the sum of its parts.
Two days would give you at least an overview and a wonderful memory.

Aug 12th, 2000, 11:09 AM
net

We took a 10-day trip to Northern Italy in May of '99 and I couldn't recommend our itinerary more--we flew into Milan, took a train to Como and ferry to Bellagio for 2 nights, train back to Milan and onto Venice for 2 nights, train to Florence for 2 nights, train to Italian Riveria (Cinque Terre) for a night and train to Milan for a night and flew out the next day. Perfect timing, never felt too rushed. It also gave us a reason to get back to Italy to tour Southern Italy and all that it has to offer, giving it the full attention that it deserves! Enjoy your trip. YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Search this Thread