$9.00 Little Cup of Coffee

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Elizabeth

$9.00 Little Cup of Coffee

On my stop-over to Moscow, I ordered a coff at the Franfurt Airport. I was just dying to have a coffee and a cigarette. I had only an American twenty and a Canadian twenty. They took the U.S. and handed me back $14.00 U.S. change........by Canadian prices, I just paid $9.00 for this measly little cup of coffee. Here at home, in Ontario, I pay $1.00 for fresh brew. What a royal rip-off.......even at $6.00 U.S. its a shocker.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 10:39 AM
Rex

If you were working at a coffeshop in Toronto - - and paying airport rent for your 10 square meters - - and someone handed you a 50-Deutsche-mark bill - - how much change in $CAD would you give them after a cup of coffee?

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Buyer

This sounds suspiciously like one of the pesky word problems they give you in 6th grade math class.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 11:22 AM
Sjoerd

Well, Frankfurt Airport is expensive, but if you pay in foreign currency you will always pay a premium. After all, the airport staff will have to go to an exchange office, change the dollars into marks, pay a commission. People like you seem to forget that dollars (whether American or Canadian) are foreign currency for Europeans and are "worthless" until we exchange it in "real money".

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:11 PM
David

They accepted her $20US and gave her $14US in change. It would seem to me that USD are accepted in this airport restaurant routinely. I know the Zurich airport shops accept most major currencies. If you had a 2hr layover would you want to go the exchange booth and get $20US in local currency and get whacked on the rate and end up with $14 local and get whacked again at the exchange back. Or pay $20US and receive $14US back and just get whacked on a $6US cup of coffee. I think Elizabeth made the right choice.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Ross

Most restaurants AND fast-food establishments accept credit cards. It wouldn't of cost you as much. Just a kind word of advice for the next time.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:41 PM
David

Ross, You're definitely right about using a CC but some places _might_ have a minimum charge. I believe the Heathrow airport pubs have a 5 Pound minimum charge, which was _no_ problem for me.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:29 PM
Don't

If you have to "ask" how much, you can't afford it! Hey, you're on holiday (or expense account), think of the cup of coffee that you were "dying" to have with your (to die-for) cigarette and how much "pleasure" that six-bucks AMERICAN bought you! Quit complaining about a measly $6, and think of how much pleasure that person in Moscow is having with all that money!

BTW,did you think you were in the U.S. of Moscow!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:32 PM
Don't

Oppps, meant Frankfort...

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Maira

I think you all got Elizabeth wrong. It appears she was shocked because there was no forewarning. At a minimum she should had been made aware of penalties, if that was the case.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Richard

Kvetch, kvetch, you're in an airport, vendor's rents are high, ergo you'll pay top dollar. Personally, I'd keep the $14.00 for putting up with 2nd hand smoke.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 03:18 PM
Second Hand

Maira: You must read between all the lines. If someone is "shocked," why don't they just come out and say, "Wow, I'm shocked that I was charged $6.00 for a cup of coffee!" I think the point of her posting is that she was "bent so she felt entitled to vent!" I've paid close to 100FRF for a small roll and coffee on the street! I was hungred! I wasn't stopping for a coffee and smoke!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 12:51 AM
Paige

Maybe that was all the US change they had or were willing to part with. Maybe you should've asked first how much it would be in US. If you try to pay in a foreign currency, I don't think you can be very demanding. Imagine the response if you tried to pay with a 50dm bill for a cup of coffee at Chicago O'Hare.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:35 AM
Elizabeth

Boy!!! Some of you sure get carried away with only 1/2 the story told. All I had was a 40 min stop-over and no time to change money. The coffee shop would not accept visa. He pointed to a sign stating they would accept British Pounds, American Dollars, Japanese Yen, Canadian Dollars.

All I tried to do with this posting is make fellow travellers aware of the cost of coffee in Frankfurt.

By the way......I refused to accept the coffee and he gave me my $6 back 8-)))!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Nosey

So, Elizabeth, the rest of the story begins to unfold. You didn't actually "pay" $9.00 (as you would have most of us believing, because that was in Canadian dollars), but then you ripped off the coffee vendor by asking for a cup of coffee, refusing, and got your money back!

Wow, that story doesn't look a bit like your original posting.

Folks, what wrong with telling 100% versus the 50% of a story???

And then others getting testy when people respond, until they know the whole truth!

Elizabeth said in her original posting that (and I'm quoting) "I just paid $9.00 for this measly little cup of coffee." Hey, Elizabeth, why not tell us you refused and got your money back???

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:09 PM
Lighten

Oh, leave Elizabeth alone. Yes, her original post wasn't too precise. But who says the merchant actually poured the coffee before Elizabeth handed over the money. In Italy, you pay before you get your Joe. So once she knew the cost, she was free to cancel, in my opinion.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:13 PM
CanadianAl

I see her problem now. I spent a couple of hours at the Frankfurt airport ,and had several wonderful German beers @ $7.00 each , and got to chat with Vinnie from Brooklyn to boot. when in Airports , stay away from the coffee...drink beer!! cheers, Al

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Just the Facts

Okay, okay, now we ALL (should) feel good. Elizabeth didn't really pay $6.00 (Canadian $9.00) for a cup of coffee -- and, yes, she got ALL of her hard-earned money back. We'll all sleep better for that clarification!

But when someone writes, "I just paid..." what are we suppose to think? I can't always read between the lines!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 07:49 PM
Donna

You know, it is positively amazing just how "refreshing" and "satisfying" a $5 Coca Cola, served with a large glass of ice and a tiny piece of lemon, is when you've been running all over Paris all day during an unexpected heat wave. You could have inquired about the price ahead of time and declined without unnecessarily troubling the waiter. And, you weren't in Ontario, were you? Everyone knows airports are the worst place to expect anything suitable for a reasonable price. Thank you Starbucks for all your airport outposts!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Ralph

Oh, please, you were "dying to have a coffee" but didn't want to pay for it? Everyone knows that you may or may not expect to find a really good cup of coffee in any AIRPORT on the planet, and that,regarless, you'll have to PAY. Silly you. Didn't get it either.