Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8th Arrondisement in Paris - why the general lack of enthusiasm?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:02 PM
marymary

I'm going to Paris mid-February for my second trip. I previously stayed in the Latin Quarter and wouldn't mind a Right Bank location this time around. I found some good rates at 3-star hotels around the Opera area (the Newton Opera and the Richmond Opera are two I've looked at). Is the 8th really that boring, or whatever, that it doesn't get much press on this board? It doesn't bother me to be in a sedate, non-hip neighborhood, but does this area pretty much close up tight after the offices and stores are done for the day? I just want some restaurants, cafes, etc. around the immediate area and so that I can dine and then walk back to my hotel in safety. Anyone out there care to comment?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Ira

Hi
The 8th is like the town where I was raised, "A great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there".

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM
xxxxx

Mary, This area is filled with hotels so it tends to be touristy & not terribly "charming." And many of these hotels cater to business people. So I don't think you'll find many nearby, untouristy places for dinner. Don't know what kind of good rates you found, but there are plenty interesting reasonable options. How about the Marais?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Eric

We typically stay in the 6th, but on one of our recent trips we thought we would try the right bank, so we stayed at the Ritz. The hotel was great, but we went back to the left bank on our last trip because it is just so much more fun over there. We just didn't find much nightlife on the right bank.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM
cara

Eric, What hotels do you like on the Left Bank? Thanks.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Eye Spy

The 8th, along with the 7th and the 16th, are the 3 nicest arrondissements in Paris. In this sense, I am talking about old world apartments and real estate/valuable. The most money is concentrated in these arrondissements. I have lived for a long time in the 8th and love it. If you take the bus along Parc Monceau, Avenue de Courcelles and up Boulevard Malesherbes, past Saint Augustin (in the 8th), you have some of the nicest apartment buildings and residences in Paris. The 7th is arguably the same if not better. Many tourists prefer to stay in the 6th and the Quartier Latin which borders on the 5th, but there are many, many wonderful places in the 8th -- I prefer it's because many tourists are unfamiliar with the 8th and their idea of Paris is basically the 6th around SGdP. Where you are is fine and lively in the 8th. A few streets over it may be quiet at night, but you won't dislike that part of town. What steets are the hotels in which you are interested?

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Diane

I stay at the same hotel in the 8th near St. Augustin whenever I'm in Paris. I really love the area, because it is not touristy and it is relatively quiet at night -- which is why a lot of people don't like it! Just depends on what you're looking for.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:21 AM
marymary

Thanks to everyone who responded.

EyeSpy,
Thank you for your observations - I love to check out architecture, residential and otherwise, when I travel. When I was in the Right Bank neighborhoods last time in Paris, I did notice and appreciate the type of apartment buildings which you are referring to.

The Hotel Newton Opera is on rue l'Arcade, and the Hotel Richmond Opera is on rue Helder. Are these areas safe in terms of not being totally deserted at night, and having at least a few cafes and restaurants nearby?

Thanks again!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:33 AM
marymary

Diane,
Would you mind sharing the name of your hotel in the 8th? If you have other hotel suggestions, I'd enjoy hearing those as well.
Thank you very much.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Eric

Responding to Cara:

On the left bank we always stay at L'Hotel. It is one of my two favorite hotels in the world (the other being the Hotel d' Europe in Avignon). On our first trip to Paris we stayed at Relais Christine, which I also recommend.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Eye Spy

Actually, rue du Helder is in the 9th right above Boulevard des Italiens. One block south is Bd des Italiens and it is always busy there. You are close to the Opéra and the large department stores Galéries Lafayette and Printemps. North of those stores it's pretty quiet at night because the businesses are closed, but during the day everything is quite lively. There are many cafés, restaurants, movie theaters all along Bd des Italiens, up to rue Montmartre and beyond. You are not that far from Palais Royal and the 1st around Place des Notre-Dames-des-Victoires (which is lovely!) and around that area as well you will not be short of typical Parisian charm in bistros, restaurants and shops. I hope this helps you! If not, post back and I'll try to be more specific.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 08:39 AM
Ron

To marymary:

If architecture is an interest of yours, then by all means take the noon tour [in english] at the Opera Garnier.