8 nights in Barcelona?

Jun 13th, 2019, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

8 nights in Barcelona?

My wife and I just planned an impromptu trip to Barcelona in August. We got nonstop round trip tickets for $330 from Chicago so it was too good to pass up! We will be there for 8 nights, which, in hindsight, is probably more than we would have normally done.

We want the trip to be part adventure and exploring the city and another part of relaxation. We booked a hotel with a really nice rooftop pool and want to spend at least a day at the beaches so we have a couple days of just relaxation.

My question to everyone is how we should spend our other 6 days. I feel like we can hit all the sites in a couple days but are there any day trips that anyone recommends taking?
Jun 13th, 2019, 07:23 AM

6 days to play

August is busy on the Costa Brava, but you can check to see what's available around Begur. You can also take the train and head north to NÓmes for a couple of nights, no car required (Site officiel de la Ville de NÓmes.). Another option, if you don't mind the heat, is to take the train to Zaragoza for a couple of nights, or just a day trip. There is also Vic, in the mountains, and Taragona on the coast, neither of which is far by rail.
Jun 13th, 2019, 07:29 AM

Loads to see in Barcelona itself. For my last visit start here and use the links at the top of the page: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...s-the-ramblas/

If I had had more time I would have visited the Teatre Museu DalŪ in Figueres
Jun 13th, 2019, 08:16 AM

I'm amazed you could get that airfare at any time. Did it involve numerous layovers or something really weird? what airline? just sounds enticing to me as I love Barcelona

sure, definitely go to Montserrat for a day. I know you can go to Girona or Figueres as well as Zaragoza by train easily. You can go to France, also, Perpignan is only about 1:20 by AVE train from Barcelona.

I presume you know these places will be hot as hades. I've been in Barcelona in JUly, same thing, but it was really hot, so was Perpignan. Barcelona is a bit better being right on the water.
Jun 13th, 2019, 08:40 AM

You might look at taking the train out to Castelldefels for the day-it is a beach town and only a 20 minute ride from Sants station. We had a Valentines Day Brunch at this place when we were there called Fosbury. The setting was lovely-the seafood was nice although there may be better foodie choices without the view.

https://fosburycafe.es/?utm_source=t...edium=referral

We also love Roses near Girona, but that will packed in August, so I would be tempted to just base in Barcelona and go day trip from there to the beach
Jun 13th, 2019, 08:49 AM

A day trip to Montserrat is pretty easy - https://www.tripsavvy.com/montserrat...celona-1643096
Jun 13th, 2019, 11:12 AM

I know you asked about day trips, and Girona is a good one. Have lunch at NU Restaurant Nu Girona - Restaurant centre Girona
Go online now to see if there are any performances in the concert hall at Palau de la Musica https://www.palaumusica.cat/ca that you would like, and get tickets.
When you go to the beach, we like Can Majo for lunch or dinner.
Jun 13th, 2019, 04:16 PM
kja

I must admit that I wouldn't find a week in Barcelona too much -- in fact, with day trips, I tend to think it easily merits closer to a week and a half! You've already gotten some great day trip ideas; I would add a strong recommendation for the Michelin Green Guide. And if you haven't already seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya

Have fun!
Jun 13th, 2019, 04:57 PM

Sitges is all about beaches and outdoor restaurants..

Jun 14th, 2019, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! All great ideas!
Jun 14th, 2019, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
I'm amazed you could get that airfare at any time. Did it involve numerous layovers or something really weird? what airline? just sounds enticing to me as I love Barcelona .
No layovers or anything. A direct nonstop flight from Chicago to Barcelona (Aug 20-Aug 29) on American Airlines. Deal is still out there but looks like itís $407 now. I used google flights explore feature which is really cool if you have never used it. You put in a departure airport, when you want to go, and for how long and it shows a map and gives the fares for each city. London and Barcelona were both around $330!
Jun 14th, 2019, 06:32 AM

A week in Barcelona is the prefect amount of time.
We were there in early July and it wasnít hot. Sea breezes perhaps.
If you want to go elsewhere , a few days on the Costa Brava would be nice. There is a Parador in Aquablava that is nice.
Jun 14th, 2019, 08:20 AM

That is an amazing deal, although I can't make it in August since I have a major trip in July. I didn't know you could fly from chicago to BCN nonstop, though, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.