Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 nights in Andalucia - split between Seville & Granada?

Old Aug 7th, 2022, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In early November we will have 9 nights in Spain, flying in and out of Madrid and spending our last night before our return flight in Madrid, leaving me with 8 days in Andalucia. I'm trying to determine how to split the time - I am traveling with a 5 and 7 year old, so multiple hotel transfers aren't convenient. Right now I'm thinking:
- Arrive Madrid, train to Seville
- Seville 4 nights, spending one day in the caves (we will rent a car if needed), possibly another day trip (any recommendations appreciated!)
- Last morning in Seville, leave early, stop at Ronda on the way to Granada
- Granada 4 nights - seeing the classic Granada sights (Alhambra) and also spending time doing day trips to Sierra Nevada or other nature/hiking destinations (my children like to hike and did very well doing pieces of the Tour de Mont Blanc and hikes in Jungfraujoch this summer). Would love to hike Camino del Rey but they don't allow under 8 year olds!
- Our last morning in Granada leave early for the trek back to Madrid, spend the final night in Madrid. Note: we've been to Madrid before and there's not that much that I want to see again and that I think would be very interesting to my kids, so we are skipping it)

Any thoughts on this itinerary? I originally wanted to base myself in Malaga but it (to me) looks a bit too built up like a winter haven beach town. We're not interested in the beach really, and it will be early November. Thanks in advance for any family friendly suggestions!
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 08:15 AM

I think it looks like a good split. I haven't checked the train travel time, but I assume you have and feel like that part works for your family. I think both Seville and Granada are worth "equal time", although I have a slight personal preference for Seville over Granada, but others feels differently. I would agree if the beach isn't a particular focus I would stick with the places you are targeting as they both have a lot to offer.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 08:26 AM

No allowance for jet lag when arriving in Spain.
Take the train from Madrid to Andalucia and back.
Do not to forget that the hours of darkness are longer. If you visit the Alhambra during darkness then please read the following it may have some restrictions.
https://www.alhambra-patronato.es/en...acios-nazaries.
If you head for the Sierra Nevada in a rental and it is snowing you may need snow chains.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VANAARLE
No allowance for jet lag when arriving in Spain.
Take the train from Madrid to Andalucia and back.
Do not to forget that the hours of darkness are longer. If you visit the Alhambra during darkness then please read the following it may have some restrictions.
https://www.alhambra-patronato.es/en...acios-nazaries.
If you head for the Sierra Nevada in a rental and it is snowing you may need snow chains.
Thanks - we know we'll be a bit jetlagged, but figure we can nap a bit on the train from Madrid and then go to sleep upon arriving in Seville. I was planning on getting a car when we got to Andalucia.
Thanks for the note on the darkness, very helpful. Hoping to book my Alhambra tickets tonight.
Sierra Nevada would be a day trip from Granada, obviously weather dependent.
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 09:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Tansmets - I like the fact that you are giving yourself decent amounts of time in each place and not being too ambitious.

If you are looking at going to the Alhambra at night, since we went they have introduced a night visit to the Generalife which might suit the children better than seeing the palace again. We went in November as well and the gardens were wonderful even that late in the year.