Search

Taxi in Palermo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxi in Palermo

On our arrival in Palermo we prebooked a taxi from one of the internet sites and paid 55 Euros to get to our hotel in town. On leaving the hotel at 6.00am on a Sunday morning, the night before, we asked the hotel to book us a taxi to the train station 4 km away. The taxi arrived and prior to getting in we asked the hotel man how much we had to pay. The hotel clerk asked the taxi driver and it was 50 Euros!! In shock, I said that was expensive and the hotel clerk said that I had to pay that amount. My advice....perhaps go on the internet and book a taxi through the same companies that pick up at the airport. You will know how much in advance and it will be a set price and probably cheaper.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Which hotel? We booked a taxi from the hotel to the airport and it cost us 50€; it was metered.
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 09:38 PM

Always and everywhere when I asked a hotel to call a taxi for me, I paid what the contor showed at the end of the ride. Never a hotel clerk said me how much to pay.

So, what you did? Did you pay? Did you take this taxi? For a short ride (to train station) is no need to prebook, you just ask 10-15 min. earlier the clerk to call a taxi for you.

Maybe in your case was a misunderstanding and the clerk book the taxi to airport.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM
GAC

Did you end up paying 50 Euros for the taxi to the train station, then another 5.80 Euros for the airport bus to the airport?
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Yikes. I've been ripped off by a taxi in Palermo before now (80euro from the airport to the station!). I now tread very carefully and make sure I get a taxi from a rank with a working meter.
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Hard to tell whether you have been ripped off or not without knowing where you went from the hotel. It may have actually been cheap! As for Kate's comment on getting a taxi with a "meter that works", believe me dear they ALL work. The driver was just saying that so he could run you around without a meter on and milk you for a few more Euros. It happens all of the time, in every country. If that ever happened to me, I would simply reach over the front seat, and press the far left button on the taxi meter (which turns it on) then when the meter comes on, tell him how much of an electronics genius I am. But then again, I know all these tricks. I own a cab company in Phoenix AZ (http://www.paulstaxi.com ).
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM

Oh, I know Paul, I meant that I make sure it's switched before I get in, instead of bumbling into the nearest car jetlagged off a flight (and without doing my research – many airports/jurisdictions have fixed airport-city centre prices, including Palermo)