8 hour layover at Oslo airport

Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 hour layover at Oslo airport

I may need to book a flight that includes an 8 hour layover in OSL on May 1, which also happens to be a national holiday, Labor Day, and a Sunday. I see that there's an express train between OSL and the city -- I'm assuming we can store our luggage, catch the train, walk around for several hours, have lunch, and be back in plenty of time?

Any words of wisdom?

How much time should we allow for getting through the airport when returning?
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 01:49 PM

Gardemoen (I assume that's your airport?) is a fair distance - about 50km - from Oslo so its not as doable as when you used to fly into Fornebu but eight hours is a fair amount of time so you should be able to manage something.

Be very careful to ensure you have your return transfer times to the airport looked up and keep an eye on travel news if you can. I've done this myself at airports like Logan in Boston but that's a short metro hop only. The sculpture park and the national museum and a coffee might be options.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, RM -- yes, it is Gardermoen (OSL).
Old Oct 1st, 2015, 12:18 AM

Train only takes about 20 mins. You can also use the local train which costs half as much as the express, takes only a couple of minutes longer, but runs only 3 x per hour. The local train ticket includes transfer to bus/tram/metro for 2 1/2 hrs after validating at start of journey - so would get you to e.g. Vigelandspark and back. You should plan on getting back to airport a couple of hours before your flight to allow for security etc. There is a food hall in the station complex and right next to the Opera where you can walk over the roof. Allow 1 1/2 hr from landing to sort luggage and get into the city and leave the city a couple of hours before your flight leaving you about 4 1/2 hrs in the city.
http://www.visitoslo.com/
Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, dyoll.

Do either of you know if the holiday will have any impact on crowds at the airport or in the city? Will some business be closed due to the holiday? (It will be a Sunday).
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 10:14 AM

There are parades, speeches etc in the city on Labour Day, but most people would use public transport and I don't suppose traffic would be particularly heavy. All businesses will be closed on Sundays and on holidays - you might find some convenience shops open. The airport seems reasonably good at adjusting staffing levels to cope with expected traffic - but leave plenty of time in case there is a hold up. Airport shops and services will be open as usual.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, dyoll!