Search

8 days to Austria - Help with Itinerary please

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days to Austria - Help with Itinerary please

Hello,

We are planning to visit Austria during Christmas from India.

Kindly help us plan an itinerary for 2 families with 2 kids each(7&1, 6&3 yrs) along with a Nanny. We would like to experience Christmas, skiing in the alps(Innsbruck?) and possibly Budapest.

We are planning to arrive on Dec23rd leave on the 1st. Ideas and suggestions such as where to stay, where to rent a car or travel by train to get the most of the trip would be helpful.

Thankyou in advance,
Pooja
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 02:31 AM

www.ski-europe.com/resorts/innsbruck.php

Best for skiing Salzburg for spas picturesque beauty if time

seat61.com train best usually cheapest for me.

Do reserve in advance peak season.

Budapest too far for something amazing and different

train down to venice-tourism.com not far...

www.bauervenezia.com was amazing for me there www.otel.com

For great hotel values eurocheapo.com great budget city guides

Happy Planning!
Old Sep 29th, 2011, 10:32 AM

The best skiing in Austria is NOT in Salzburg, a city that rarely gets much snow - now Kitzbuhel, Halstatt and St Anton are world-famous ski resorts - so is Innsbruck but this largish city lacks the romance and charm of a cozy ski resort up in the hills.

So Vienna is a no-brainer - go before Christmas for Christmas markets (in all large cities) - bop over to a ski resort - my favorite Alpine place in Austria is Halstatt - absolutely gorgeous setting admist rugged Alps and lovingly sits on a pristine Alpine lake.

Take the train IMO - trains go to Halstatt as well. You may want to investigate the Austrian Railpass and IMO anyone with kids in tow should go first class - lots of empty seats usually - lots more room for luggage and in general just a more relaxed way to go - car driving can be iffy in winter, especially if you are not used to icy roads - trains are great and go everywhere you will want to go.

Great sites for info on Austrian trains - www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com. Check schedules and fares at www.oebb.at - Austrian Railways official site - they also have some nifty discounts if you want to go the cheapest way but check the restrictions - the railpass can be used on any train anytime - just show up and hop on.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

i definitely recommend to book packages in skiing areas...hotel+ski-pass+transportation+spa is usually convenient. x-mas season is usually the most expensive and soon fully booked.
you should book it now, also tables for dinner!
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:15 AM

there are also I believe nice bus transfers from Munich Airport to various ski resorts.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou all for your input. I am researching on Kitzbuhel and Halstatt.

So 3 days in Vienna, 3 days in one of the above Ski areas. That would leave us with 2 more days. Any input on St.Wolfgang Advent for these 2 days or Salzburg?

We have decided to drop out Budapest.

Also, please let me know how to book a package in the skiing areas, it makes sense to do that, however when I searched on Eurocheepo or booking.com I am just getting the resort but not the packages.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Since we are 2 families, I am leaning towards the idea of apartment instead of a hotel in Vienna.
What area should we be looking at that is touristy?
Can someone suggest a good serviced apartments or a hotel that serves breakfast in that area?
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 11:02 AM

Important to realize that Hallstatt is not a ski resort - The town has no ski lifts or ski terrain.

I believe a ski bus is available to take you some distance either to the Krippenstein ( limited beginner fascilities )
Gosau or the Dachstein - not convenient .

Most hotels in better resortd during tzhid holidsy period want extended stays - a week or more.

Kitz is a high price resort - and normally fully nooked for these times -

Perhaps for your purposes - the Wolfgangsee area may be better for you- nice scenery - Christmas / New Years Markets in the various villages around the lake - beautiful by night too-

If you wish snow activities - the Postalm by ski bus - offers easy skiing - even the 13 er bahn by st. Gilgen can be good - easy access to Salzburg city too by bus.

for info

www.wolfgangsee.at

www.wolfgangsee-advent.at

The best area for astaying in Vienna is the city center area - this the Innere Stadt / First District -
you can identify it when looking for accomodation as its postal code is 1010- this will be on the hotel address.

Many sights within easy walking distance in this area
Hofburg Palace , major museums . music venues like the Opera and Musikverein , Stephansdom and much more
a place to look for apartments

www.netland.at/wien