Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 days in Switzerland w/11 mo. old & pregnant

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into Zurich at the end of March for 8 days. We'll have our 11 month old son with us - and by then I'll be almost 6 months pregnant. We've traveled quite a bit with him domestically (both by air and very long car rides) but never internationally. We're both fairly seasoned international travelers, though we've never been to this area of Switzerland.

We're also hoping to travel into Austria and Liechtenstein.

We're both pretty active, but when hauling a 25 lb. baby around, I'm not sure that we'll be able to hike as much as we normally would. He's walking now, at 9 months - but I don't think he'll be able to really walk much on his own by then. We're debating between the Swiss rail pass and renting a car - as we're hoping to get out of the city a bit and explore smaller towns. We're both avid photographers and would appreciate any suggestions you have for especially scenic areas.

I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to plan this, and would appreciate any suggestions (re: lodging, historical sites, restaurants (especially any that are vegetarian friendly - as my husband is veg), etc.

Also - any suggestions about where to buy baby necessities (diapers, formula, etc.) would be greatly appreciated)

Our budget isn't without limits, but I don't mind splurging a bit on the trip.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM

well, the cool thing about hiking in Switzerland is that even at the tops of mountains are paths so you can walk, rather than really have to hike or climb.

We've only been to the Berner Oberland, where you can get the most amazing views on these trails!
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear redesq03,

Bring a stroller along and little toys to keep him busy.

Train rides are wonderful in Switzerland, but he may get antsy with too many of them if he is very active. Some train cars are "family" cars meaning they have little play areas. Look into this for him.

Regarding your husbands diet - almost every place I've ever been in Switzerland provides a veggie option.

For a wonderful vegetarian experience in Zurich just off the Bahnhofstrasse try Hiltl.

Also, you will find most in Zurich speak English should you need help with anything. And, the medical care is excellent.

Look into Berner Oberland for your photos...Lots of Fodorites stay in Wengen at the Alpenrose. I will warn you the rooms are very small. But the food is great and you'll be close to lots of great views.

Your son might enjoy the paddle wheel boat from Luzern that is a part of the Wilhelm Tell Express. You and your husband will love the scenery. There is a restaurant on board. Reserve in advance. Luzern is also a great little city to see...

gruezi
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Hiking in March might be iffy due to weather. I suggest you rent a car for this trip, it gives you the freedom and privacy you need, also the shelter you might need at times.

When you get to Zürich, go to a bookshop and ask for maps or guides to the Wanderwege - (literally means wandering paths) - this is a network of well maintained and uniformly signed and marked paths throughout Switzerland that would be perfect for you.

In the lower elevations these paths are ideal for Sunday afternoon family strolls, they usually swing by train stations and such and take you from village to village - you could park at one village train station, wander off and take a local train back from wherever - these maps will show you where that "wherever" might be.

In the higher alps these Wanderwege can be more strenuous, of course, but for you on this trip, and for March, the low-lying routes around the lake of Zürich for example will be just grand.

Just as an example of a place I fondly remember from some time back:

On www.rail.ch look up S-Bahn (light rail) trains to Sihlbrugg, then get a map of Sihlbrugg and figure out how to get into that area and - from your Wanderwege info you'll get locally -= what Wanderwege paths there are around there.

Or around the Türlersee between Aeugst am Albis and Türlen - it is nice country, not too much up and down, just one example of many that might suit you.

About vegetarian: Not a problem in major towns - shops are by now fairly well stocked with suitable items. Restaurants less so, often the one and only token vegetarian dish is an unimaginative plate of salads or vegetables.

Shops that specialize are mostly called Reformhaus - look for that term and you won't go wrong, and any staffer in a Reformhaus will also guide you to suitable restaurants.

Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switzerland has quite a few brands of formula but maybe not the one your child is used to. You might want to consider bring your own or weaning him into normal milk.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for such kind and considerate responses. This is all very helpful to us.