Search

8 days in switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 days in switzerland

Hi,
We are 2 couples travelling with 2 kids aged 5 and 8 yrs. Our trip to switzerland is in Oct. from 15-23rd morning, when we fly out. Below is the itinery we have proposed.
Do the ferry services in ticino close down by Oct 21st? How cold will it be in Switzerland as i am travelling with kids and What should i pack?
We are planning to buy the Swiss Saver Pass for 8 days, Does this pass cover most of my journey?

Route 1: Zurich – Locarno – Interlaken – Lucerne/Zurich
Day 1: Land in Zurich. Direct train to locarno.(DOES THE SWISS PASS COVER A CISALPINO TRAIN?) OR Train to Lucerne. Boat to Fluelen. Train to locarno. WE HAVE CHOSEN LOCARNO OVER LUGANO, IS IT A BETTER IDEA?

Day 2: Full day locarno and nearby.

Day 3: Full day visit Lugano and nearby

Day 4: Check out and board centovalli train to spiez via brig and and domodossola in Italy. DO WE NEED VISA FOR ITALY! (we are from India). ALSO DOES THE SWISS PASS COVER THIS TRAIN? Take train to Interlaken. Check into hotel oberland??

Day 5: Take mountain excursion to Jungfraujoch, visiting picturesque hill resorts of Wengen & Lauterbrunnen enroute.

20.11.07 Day 6: Full day trip to Montreux (we plan to cover Vevey, chebrex and return to Montreux from Rivaz)? ARE THERE DIRECT CONNECTIONS TO MONTREUX FROM INTERLAKEN? WILL I BE ABLE TO VISIT BERN IN THE SAME DAY?

Day 7: Ballenberg and Speiz Oberhof

Day 8: Check out . Board train to Lucerne/zurich and stay overnight.

Day 9: take early morning flight from Zurich to India.

IS IT A BETTER IDEA TO WORK THE OTHER WAY i.e. FROM ZURICH-INTERLAKEN/BO- LOCARNO/TICINO-ZURICH?

Please advise

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM

ttt
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I read this post because I love Montreux and Vevey. I can only help a little bit, I don't think you can possibly do day #6 as you describe, Bern would be a day trip all of its own.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:33 AM

Hi sukha,
You can get from Zurich Airport to Locarno in about three and a half hours, but you have to change at Zurich Hb [and sometimes at other stations as well].
The Swiss Pass will cover all but your Jungfraujoch trip. You'll get a 50% discount on that but it's still very expensive. Also you may need to pay supplements if you want to travel in a panoramic carriage, eg to Montreux.
It will also cover boats on the lakes, except for Lake Maggiore, but by late October services will be restricted.
Be aware that the Centovalli train takes you only from Locarno to Domodossola in Italy. From there you can take a Cisalpine back into Switzerland through the Simplon Tunnel [and north to Spiez]. The Swiss Pass covers both, but I'm not sure whether you'll need visas.
We had warm weather in early October last year, but it will probably be cooler and certainly cold up the mountains! Pack layers, but don't pack too much, as you need to be able to negotiate changes at staions etc. Also, the Centovalli trains are very small.
Finally, don't even think of going to Bern on Day 6 - you're trying to fit in more than enough for 8 days, and especially on that day!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

hi suze and suelyn,
thanks, that was a lot of information! now i have decided to do bern on another day if possible. Is the open air museum at Ballenberg worth a visit with kids? What is the best way to reach it?
Ok one more queston for you suelynn: in the website the centovalli train displays an entire timetable from locarno right upto Bern and vice versa. So do i need to take a cisalpino from domossodola? And would luggage be a real problem?
Suze i need a little help for montreux: I am planning to take a ferry from montreux to vevey. walk around on the promenade. take a train to chebrex and walk down till rvaz visting the wineyards enroute. take ferry back to montreux.: I have 2 kids 5 yrs and 8 yrs, so how long the walk to rivaz will be? Is it worthwhile with kids?

pls bear with my endless questions as this is our first trip to switzerland
thanks in advance!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Hi sukha,

I think the excursion from Interlaken to Montreux is too long for one day; it takes at least three hours in each direction just for transport. I can't think that your children will sit still for all that!

There's really so much to do in the Interlaken area that it's a real shame to "waste" a day of your holiday by sitting on a train to get to another area. I'd save Montreux for another trip when you can actually do it justice.

But to answer your question, the walk from Chexbres to Rivaz takes about 40 minutes.

Train schedules are at www.rail.ch

Ferry schedules are at www.cgn.ch

Good luck!

s
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 03:41 AM

In reply to your question on Centovalli: yes, you do change trains at Domodossola, as someone on the other thread told you. We did it as a side-trip so didn't have luggage. It wasn't at all crowded [in April] and there would have been space for luggage but I wasn't paying close attention.
I wouldn't bother with Bern, but would go to Montreaux if the children like train travel as it's an interesting trip, especially the descent to Montreux. But I would give them plenty of exercise in Montreux. You could catch a ferry to Chillon and then walk back to Montreux, for instance. [We've done the trip twice and last time there were young children in our compartment and they weren't restless at all - but that was only one way.]
I haven't been to Ballenberg, but imagine it would be interesting. There's so much to see in the BO and decisions would have to be based on the weather at the time. I suppose if weather was really bad Bern would be a good side-trip, with all its covered arcades, but I wouldn't waste good weather on it. Ballenberg is probably a good choice in light rain,but in lovely waether I'd head for the mountains!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weather in October? Warm with sunshine, rain, snow or fog. No one knows what it will be like till it's here. Check out the weather forecast (wetter.de) and dress accordingly. Bring layers so you can peel off or put on clothes, depending on the temperature. Bring a wind/rain jacket, zip off pants and tennis shoes. When you get here, buy snacks and liquids to carry with you on the train.

Ideas for Locarno:
- Ascona and its free public bathing area along the lake. A real oasis of green grass, sandy beaches and natural beauty.
- Val Verzasca with its beautiful bridge "Ponte dei Salti” near Lavertezzo. Actually climbing around the rocks down by the river is the most interesting. At the end of the valley, in Sonogno, I have a Canadian friend who manages the ice hockey field and adjecent restaurant.
- Ferry ride to Brissago island. The island is not too big, nice to walk around and the ferry ride is always fun too.
- Bellinzona and its big castle. A nice stopover and interesting for the kids.
You might want to skip Lugano or, if you go, rent a pedalo and take the kids out on the lake. The walk to Gandria is flat and nice. Get directions since the first part is along a sidewalk along a road until you get to the path. You can take the ferry back. Lugano has a nice car-free old town in the middle.

If you decide to stay in the Lucerne area, I would do a day on the lake and in the mountains. Take the ferry to Vitznau (or Weggis) and take the train up to Rigi Kaltbad. Do the Felsenweg until Rigi Staffel. Take the train up to Rigi Kulm and then go back down to Rigi Kaltbad. Go back down to Vitznau/Weggis and take the ferry nice. It sounds a bit complicated but if you have someone help you in Lucerne, you'll be able to figure out the ferry/train schedule and mountain paths (or use sbb.ch) to get you through this highly interesting day.

- Don't know about visas but we get lots of Indians in Switzerland.

I don't think it really matters if you do Ticino or Interlaken first. I'd be more apprehensive about the weather but you never know how that is until you get here.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:36 AM

I have a suggestion for Day 4. I would skip Interlaken since you don't seem to have planned to do anything there anyway except sleep. Instead, I would go directly to Lauterbrunnen and stay in a hotel there. (We loved the Silberhorn - ask for a view) This way you will be within the beautiful scenery instead of seeing it from afar from a city, and you can explore the town once you arrive. The next day, you should get an early start to the Jungfrau after checking the local TV to be sure it's not too cloudy. If the weather is good, leave as soon as you can to get up there before the crowds.

I hear it is often cloudy so be prepared that leaving only one day there may not allow you to see anything. Most people on Fodor's suggest staying there a couple of days to maximize your chances of getting the view from the Jungfrau.

Of course, there will be suggestions to stay in other small towns such as Wengen, but the point will be to stay in the valley instead of in Interlaken. Any of those towns, IMHO, would be better than Interlaken. We used to stay in Interlaken before discovering Fodor's and while I did not know any better and did find things to do there, once I discovered staying in Lauterbrunnen last year, I was an instant convert.

I would build in time at Kleine Scheidigg during your trip back down from the Jungfrau - it's where you change trains for the last leg of the journey. There are goats running around freely, you can walk through the cow pastures, hopefully will see the Alphorn player, and just sit and take in the beautiful mountains. The kids would love it - mine did! Don't forget to buy them the wonderful ice cream!!!

If you are staying in the area on day 6, you might consider taking the kids up a mountain by cable car. You could go up the Schilthorn or go from Wengen to Mannlichen, among others. My parents took me up one when I was 10 and not only did I never forget it, but it bacame one of the top things to take my kids on when I started taking them traveling.

Have a great time! Don't forget to have fondue for dinner one night!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Well, if they want to go to lakes Thun (Spiez) and Brienz (Ballenberg), maybe Interlaken is a more convenient location. But Interlaken is a long town; stay close to the Interlaken Ost station, where the trains up into the mountains leave as well as the boat on Lake Brienz.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:33 AM

The Ballenberg Open Air Museum is interesting. It has examples of houses from all the cantons of Switzerland and enactors milking cows and making cheese, etc.

Things to do in Locarno:

- ride the funicular/gondola/chair lift from the center of town up the mountain

- take centovalli train

- take the bus back into the Val Verzasca

However, no one has said your itinerary seems very hectic with lots of time spent traveling. Better you settle down one or two places with lots of nearby options. I would think your children would get awfully tired of traveling.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Sorry, I am afraid I cannot help with that question... I did not know there was a ferry between Montreux and Vevey! The two towns are barely 5-10 mins. apart by bus or train.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Oh my god i'm so overwhelmed wit your suggestions. Thankyou all of you, Suelynne, Swandav, Suze and Mimar! That was wonderful. I've actually been reading the posts in this forum especially monica and suzans trip reports. And i think you can really guide me.
I've decided to completely change my itinery and if you can help me plan it would be great!
The dates are from October 15 to 23rd (Zurich airport). The places i am keen on are locarno (i can leave lugano if you think), Montreux (if i can stay 2 nights there if possible), interlaken/lauterbrunnen (i just thought it would be too cold in october to stay up in the mountains, plus connections for day visits would be more cumbersome? But i would still go for yor opinion) and lucerne/zurich on last night dpending upon the return flight.
Also i would like to include atleast one really scenic train route. I know i'm getting really greedy but i'm open to all suggestions.
eagerly awaiting your replies!
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

sorry i would like to thank and even require help from schuler and kwren. Please don't mind my error in mentioning your names, but i sincerely appreciate your suggestions.
thanks once again
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM

Yes, you can catch a ferry from Vevey to Montreux, or do the whole trip arond that end of the Lake on the Swiss Pass. [We also caught one from Vevey to Lausanne.] I don't think the ferries on Lake Brienz will be running in October.
As far as scenic train trips, there aren't many in Switzerland that aren't scenic! For the places you're going both the Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne, as well as the one to Montreux, are very scenic. [The former takes you along Lake Brienz, which is a beautiful colour.] Perhaps the best of all are the small mountain trains, eg Lauterbrunnen to Wengen, which you can do on the Swiss Pass, and then up to Kleinne Schedegg, which costs exra, but you get a 50% discount. From there you can go down to Grindelwald with the same discount.
We also enjoyed the Centovalli ride from Locarno very much. We saw it in April when the valleys were covered in snow. I love the traditional Ticino rural houses, which are quite different from the ones elsewhere in Switzerland.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 07:02 PM

Thanks Suelynne, I'll have to do that on my next trip to Vevey & Montreux (I have a friend who lives there). I don't know how I could have missed knowing about the ferries! I spend enough time walking down along the quai lakeside.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Dear Suelynne,
I am thinking of changing my plan a little bit.
From Zurich(where i land), i plan to stay 2 nights in locarno (visit ascona, stresa, Val Verzasca , Brigasso island etc. whatever i can manage).
Then take the centovalli till domodossola/change trains to Spiez to interlaken/lauterbrunnen and stay 3 nights. (Visit Jungfraujoch / wengen / Murren. Take the kids to Ballenberg etc).
After this take train to Montreux and stay for 2 nights.(Visit Vevey to chebrex for sure and maybe gruyeres or bern).
Last night of the 8-day trip in Lucerne.
Can you help me with the hotels in these places:
Locarno (Rondellina i think?)
Interlaken / Lauterbrunnen ?
Montreux ?
Lucerne (should be near trainstation)

Pls suggest hotels with room rates (double bedroom) to be not over 100 euros but near train stations or old city? Is it possible in this season?

Thanks in advance

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:19 AM

I checked the Silberhorn's prices (in Lauterbrunnen) and they are 100 euros for a standard double with breakfast in Oct. We really like that hotel and the breakfast was wonderful. It is close to the train station. We stayed in a family room whichwas also nice.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:24 AM

That's going to be difficult to find in Montreux (a hotel in that price range), it's an expensive city.

Would you be willing to stay in Vevey instead?
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

hi suelynne and suze
the silberhorn sounds great. just a small quesion but how will it be in lauterbrunnen in october? won't it be very cold?
vevey of course was on my mind too. but does it have good train connections, ie. to bern or to lucerne? how long is the train from montreux to vevey and how frequent? would you know?
Also how is hotel falken in lucerne?
pls advise

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -