Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place/area to stay in Athens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering where the best area is to stay while in Athens & name of a few motels would be fantastic.
Just looking for a central location to see the sights.
Thanks
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 06:03 AM

I don't know that there is a "best" unless it is the Grande Bretagne on Syntagma square.

My last time in Athens I stayed at the Amazon Hotel on Mitropoleos Street between Syntagma and the Plaka.

The location is one reason I loved it... Syntagma for its transportation links and the Plaka because its lively and full of action and places to eat. The hotel was also handy to walk to the Acropolis and the ancient agora. It was a 10 minute walk to my car rental at Avis near the Temple of Olympian Zeus and I even found overnight parking within a block of the hotel.

The hotel itself was reasonably priced, spotlessly clean and our large room had an Acropolis view. Come to think of it... I don't know why I ever left! ;^)
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 06:17 AM

We stayed at the Athens gate hotel and thought it was great
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM

There is no 'best'. Just pick a hotel that looks OK to you, fits your budget and is located near the places you want to visit.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 08:15 AM

Central areas to stay in Athens are : Syntagma, Plaka, Monastiraki and Acropolis.
They all have access to the metro and are in walking distance to most sites and museums.
Check booking.com for hotel availability and prices. there is an area search option, where you can limit your search for certain areas only.
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:18 PM

Clausar has a super idea! When you go to booking.com/athens and put in your dates, you get a topline that lists options for sorting your search. One option is "location" with pull-down menu. One option on that that pulldown is LANDMARKS and under it, you can click on "acropolis." Then all of the choices shown will be within easy walking distance of Acropolis -- I checked this out yesterday, it gives u a long list of these hotels, saying ".3 mile from Acropolis" etc, and the current prices of each, for your dates. A great way to winnow things, and not be misled by vague wordings that fool you into thinking a place is convenient.
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all And great ideas @ clausar & @travelerjan I will be sure to check booking.com out.
Old Mar 4th, 2014, 11:44 PM

You may want to visit Mikrolimano as well. It's near Piraeus and it's a unique place to relax
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 09:01 PM

A hotel in the Plaka district or the Athens Gate Hotel on Singrou.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 03:42 AM

Hi!
I stayed in the Amalia Hotel, a block away from Synthagma Square and just metres away of the Syntagma metro Station that takes you to the airport.
Old Feb 8th, 2016, 11:34 AM

Look at the area south of the Acropolis (this is an assortment of price range and facilities: Acropolis View, Herodion, Phillippos, Hera, Acropolis Select and Divani Palace are some of the hotel there.
If you want to go down to the coast, you could take the tram to Glyfada or even further south. There is a bus that goes all the way to Sounion.