Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 8 days in Rome in June with my family - what to do!

8 days in Rome in June with my family - what to do!

Feb 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

8 days in Rome in June with my family - what to do!

We are taking our kids, 10, 8 and 6 to Rome for 8 days towards end of June. Any recommendations - what to do, where to eat etc??
Feb 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Surely you have some ideas, right? What do you want to see?

We went for a week back in October with our 12 & 9 y.o. Perhaps my trip report and blog will be helpful.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...log-photos.cfm
Feb 27th, 2012, 12:54 PM

For anyone to help you need to provide alot more info.

What are your interests? Have you been before? Why did you choose Rome?

Most importantly - have you read some travel guides to see what interests you and your family? What interests me (eating and drinking alot ha) may not interest you and your young children. Get a few books from the library and see what you and your kids are excited about and then come back here and we can help you with logistics.

Happy Planning!
Feb 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Do the usual tourist things. The Colesseum, Forum, Trajan Markets are fun for kids because there are lots of dark nooks and crannies with alleys leading off the main square. It also gives a greater understanding of Ancient Rome because the shops etc are still in situ and you can identify with the concept of a shopping mall!

The Villa Borghese park is great to hire bikes, or take a little boat ride on the lake. You could take the elevator up to the roof of St Peters and then climb up to the dome. I think your 6 year old could make it.

Go to Piazza Navona or Piazza Rotonda, buy some ice cream and let the kids explore, while keeping a good eye on them of course. Italians love children and you will find they are fussed over. Have a great time.
Feb 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM

A few things you might want to see in the general area of Piazza Navonna and Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon):
there is a cat sanctuary at Area Sacro Argentina--you can see cats lounging around the temples in the excavated area there

Bernini's sculpture of an elephant supports an obelisk in front of Santa Maria sopra Minerva right around the corner from the Pantheon

There is a large marble foot (from a colossal statue) "the Pie de Marmor" just down the street from the street from the obelisk

The church of San Luigi dei Francesci (between Pantheon and P.Navonna) has three spectacular Caravaggio paintings of St. Matthew, an easy way to see some great art work for free. You need coins to turn on the lights to illuminate the paintings

The Piazza Navonna itself will have portrait artists, people dressed as statues, sometimes street performers
Feb 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I do think you should buy at least one basic book about Rome. For one thing, you will need some maps to find your way around. For you, I would say Rick Steves probably would have a useful book.

Since you have so many days, consider a day trip to Tivoli, to see Villa d'Este. There are huge gardens in the back that are full of fountains of many different designs that are a lot of fun. And there are stray cats there, too. A book on Rome will also give you info on getting there. Also in Tivoli is Villa Adriana, or Hadrian's Villa, many acres of ruins of Hadrian's country residence, although the kids may find it less interesting.

Or a day trip to Orvieto by train ( one hour north of Rome). It's up on a mesa, and you ride a fun funicular up from the train station. The mesa is riddled with caves where people used to have workshops, etc, and you can take an underground tour. You can even eat in a restaurant in a cave. There is a deep, deep well near the funicular that has a circular staircase in it you can go down into for a fee.
Feb 27th, 2012, 05:40 PM

Well....why did you decide to head to Rome? Surely you must have at least a basic idea of what attracted you to it.

Or did you win a contest and have no idea?

Get guidebooks. Get a map. Watch videos. Use the internet. We can't plan a trip for you as you haven't given us even basic information about what you're looking to get out of this trip.

Search this Thread