Reload this Page >

8 days in Italy, 3 cities too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 02:30 PM
Julie

We are going to Italy in early April (arrive Milan) and will only have 8 days. We were thinking of going straight to Venice, then Florence and on to Rome - 2 nights each. Is this too much travel? How difficult to transport 2 large suitcases, etc. on/off train? Would we be better off taking in the sites in just 2 cities? which ones? Do we need to buy train tickets, museum tickets in advance? (We are interested in seeing the highlights) Your advise is appreciated! julie

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 02:50 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>8 days is too short for those three. One night in Venice would be sufficient, if you don't want to cut out a city. But I'd recommend just going to Florence and Rome on this trip, with more time in Rome. Allow yourself time to see things along the way too. You're going to be overwhelmed, there is so much to see. If you're going on Eurail, you should buy those tickets in advance here in the states. It's been so long since we used the trains (but we loved them) I can't offer details though. You should each be able deal with one "decent" sized suitcase on trains. You won't need much for just 8 days, trust me. Once you get to each hotel, you can make tour arrangements there, don't have to get those in advance. April is not going to be overcrowded with tourists. Hope this helps a little. <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 05:11 PM
Bill

Hello Julie, I agree with Cheryl. I took a 9 day trip last year to Italy. I spent 3 nights in Firenze and 4 nights in Roma (flew into Milano and flew out of Roma). To my surprise, I found Roma to be a delightful city and could easily have spent more time there. I was disappointed I did not see Venezia, but I decided to see it in a future trip together with Vienna and Salzburg. To help you with your decision I've looked up the fastest trains to the three cities you're interested in. Buon viaggio! <BR>ilano Centrale to Firenze Santa Maria Novella on the Pendolino (high speed) train =&gt; 3hr <BR>Milano Centrale to Venezia Mestre on the Intercity train =&gt; 2.5hr <BR>Venezia Mestre to Firenze Santa Maria Novella on the Pendolino train =&gt; 2.5hr <BR>Firenze Santa Maria Novella to Roma Termini on the Pendolino train =&gt; 1.5hr <BR>Roma Termini to Milano Centrale on the Pendolino train =&gt; 4.5hr <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 1999, 05:49 PM
Rod Hoots

Agree with the above on visiting only two cities. However, if you have to fly back out of Milan, then I would recommend Venice and Florence. For rail schedules and prices, check raileurope.com. I recommend buying tickets in advance - unless you speak Italian, trying to buy tickets in site can be time consuming and confusing. With only two months left you should get started on travel and hotel accommodations now. Museum entry should not be a problem in April. Can't imagine why you would need two large bags. Travel is casual these days and one medium or two small should be plenty.

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 04:59 AM
Paul Rabe

I disagree on buying tickets in advance; I've never had a minute of formal training in Spanish, Greek, or Italian; but had no trouble buying bus/train tickets in any of those languages -- or even in Britain! Grab a phrase book, learn the words for time and travel [for example, "round trip" is "return fare" in English :^) ], go to the ticket office, mumble your destination and the type of ticket you want to buy, have a scratch pad if you're not sure what number the ticket seller is saying, pay the amount, and then take your ticket.If you buy tickets in big cities; believe me, you WON'T be the first tourist to buy tickets! Just try to do so well in advance, so you don't have to rush as you try to make the train. <BR> <BR>BTW, if you are only traveling between two or three Italian cities, you'll be better off buying single tickets instead of a rail pass. I've used the latter and loved them, but they're designed for more frequent travels.

Old Feb 8th, 1999, 05:39 AM
John

Unless you will be flying out of Rome, I would advise you stay in the north with just 8 days. There is certianly enough for you to see. Bellagio and Lake Como are north of Milan ... perhaps 30 miles. Bergamo is 30 miles east of Milan, on the way to Venice. It is a walled medieval city high up on a hill. and is where Pope John XXIII was born. After Venice, you can go to Florence, Siena, San Gimigiano. You could proceed to Pisa and come back to Milan up the coast with possible stops in Portofino, the Cingue Terre. There are other options as well. On the other side of Lake Como, in Switzerland (the Italian part) are Lugano and Locarno. Or you could go to Genoa and along the coast towards France ... San Remo, Monaco, Nice. You will have no problem filling up 8 days in the north. Save Rome, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi coast for another trip.