Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 days in Ireland - need help with itinerary

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Camargiotta

My husband and I are traveling to Ireland for 8 days in Sept., flying in and out of Dublin and I'm not sure where to begin. I know 8 days isn't enough to see a good portion of the country, but I would like to see as much as we can without being to rushed.

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:15 AM

I was a bit overwhelmed with information when i was first planning my trip to Ireland, so I know the feeling. What worked for me was to limit myself to a few counties. Since I was flying in/out of Shannon, I stayed on the West and Southwest coasts. You might want to consider doing something similar, either going to Northern Ireland, to counties South of Dublin or even straight across to Galway (one of my favorite cities). It's hard not to cram in a lot of sights since there's so much to see. I cut down our itinerary and we still ended up driving over 850 miles in 7 days.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Hi there
I just returned from a 5-day trip to Ireland in which I tried to see both the west and the east side. This resulted in hours of excruciating driving in difficult roads, which turned to be a complete nightmare. If I were you, I would stick to 2 or 3 counties, not more than that. Take a small part of Ireland and enjoy it as much as you can.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Decide on the sort of thingsyou are going to Ireland to see. With 8 days you want to focus on those. Instead of, well, I'd kinda like to see ..... pick up on "I must see ...". If you taravel for museums and the like, it will be one area. If you are looking for peaceful countryside, another and wild coastline still another. Don't try for a little of everything, you'll just go crazy.

Bill
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:30 PM

I'm with Bill on this one. You'll find that once you pick up a browse through a couple of good guide books, that you will have way more places than time.

Once you've reached that inevitable state, you'll find yourself with the reverse problem of having to pare back the schedule, rather than trying to fill it in. Since you've got eight days, you have to be selective either by sites to see, or by area to focus on.

A suggestion: Since you don't want to be rushed, group your must-sees into a max of no more than 3 areas and decide which look most promising. Then pick a nice area in the center of each of those areas from which you can base mini-trips. Be sure to allow for recovery for any flights if you're arriving from overseas and keep it close to the airport on your day of departure.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 05:03 PM

A couple of years ago my wife and I spent 3 weeks in Ireland. Our itenerary included 5 nights just for Dublin. There is so much to see in that historical city that you could just stay there and save the cost of a car rental (good transportation to be found in Dublin - unless it rains!!)

Trinity college can take a day, Christ's Church, Guinness Brewery, Jameson Distillery another, just walking the Temple Bar area for food, drinks and shopping could take third.

One place that I HIGHLY recommend everyone see is St. Micahns Church and see the mummies preserved in the basement. When we went they allowed us to touch one! Very cool.

If you want to leave Dublin you can travel a modenr highway south towards Cork. Visit Cashel, which has 15th century ruins on top of 12th century ruins, on top of 4th century ruins. St. Patrick preached from there.

In then end, follow the advice that most people have given, make a reasonable list of to see things and don't hold yourself to it once you're there. It takes longer to travel the small roads than the map would appear, so always add extra time for trips in the country.

Good luck, have fun! Sláinte (cheers!)

Kevin and Joby
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:16 PM

Thank you to everyone who responsed to my post. The problem is that we want to see the whole country but we obviously can't. I think I'll take everyone's advice and center on only a few area that have our "must see's" and go from there.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM

No, you're right, you can't see the whole country in 8 days. It might help to get a map, divide the country into four quadrants and pick one to explore. Maybe look at the northeast or southeast this time since you'll be flying to and from Dublin.