Search

skiing Interlaken region

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skiing Interlaken region

Hello,
I'm going to ski with my girlfriend in the Interlaken region in December (first time there), probably I will be based in Wengen.
I would like some help in some ski route planning:
1) Which is the best place in the region to ski?
2) Does it take to much time from the best places to ski to Wengen?
3) Is i worth buying the SwissPass? I would use it to buy train tickets from Bern to the region, during my stay (3days) and then back to Zurich.

Any tips would be very helpful...
Regards
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 03:35 PM

In Wengen you are right smack in the ski country and at a railroad station that will take you further up the mountains to the Kleine Scheidegg and down to the valley, where you have access to all the ski runs from and near Lauterbrunnen/Muerren.

Not sure what's better in terms of RAIL passes. Generally, I am a great believer in point-to point tickets, because yoiu usually can get very faorable day ticket discounts.
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Hi there. I will be in Wengen for 4 days in Dec. Others will have the specifics on this, but from what I understand, the type of Swiss Pass you purchase depends on how long you are there and how many days you need to use the train. There are other threads that cover this topic. I do know that the Lauterbrunned/Jungfrau area has a rail/ski pass that you can purchase special for just that area. (I think there is a 3 day pass.) My wife and I are staying at Caprice,12/21-24. Maybe we'll see you on the slopes or at the bar! K
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Hi rntrrr,

Here's a link to the ski pistes of the area:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/sk...ay-facilities/

The page opens to the Grindelwald/First ski area, and you can also click on the two other ski areas, Kleine Scheidegg, and Mürren/Schilthorn. Imo, Grindelwald is the best area for beginners or intermediates, and advanced skiers will enjoy any of the areas. But you can take a look at the maps to see which areas appeal to you the most.

Yes, you can easily get to any of the areas from Wengen.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 12th, 2012, 02:08 AM

If you just want to ski, then a Swiss Pass is not of much help. Better buy a Swiss Transfer Ticket which offers free travel between the airport (or border station if travelling by train) to your destination (Wengen) and back. The ski pass for three days covers all the other public transportation in the region around Wengen.

Wengen is an excellent choice, btw. At the moment there's not much snow in the region yet, and none is in the forecast for the next two weeks. Better later in December than earlier, I'd say.