Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8 Days in Europe. Arrive Milan. Depart Paris. What to do?

Dec 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Hello - my boyfriend and I recently booked a great deal from NY to Europe for March. We arrrive early Saturday morning in Milan on Saturday, March 19th and we depart from Paris the afternoon of Sunday, March 27th.

Now, I was wonderig what people suggest as a good itenerary. I heard Milan is not worth staying in for more than a day. My boyfriend suggested going to Venice (by train) perhaps for a few days, but not sure if that is out of the way before heading to Paris. We would want a couple of days in Paris at the end of the trip.

Everywhere else is open as we have only been to Spain and London before together, and I have been to Rome alone. Do you think train, plane, or car would be the best to get around?

Any advice is appreciated.
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM

Without know anything about your interests or how relaxed/busy of a trip you'd like, I'll start with the following suggestions:

Sat night: Milan
Sun-Tues nights: Venice
Wed: spend a night somewhere in Switzerland on your way to Paris
Thurs-Sat nights: Paris

Alternatively, you could skip Switzerland and take the overnight train from Venice to Paris allowing more time in both cities. Or take a night from either place and spend more time in Switzerland. Or...
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:21 AM

I loved Milan and it does have a ton of history and great sights; it is the fourth most visited city in Italy so I think the ones who maligned Milan are definitely in the minority.... At least Saturday explore Milan.

At this point you do have some tough options; Venice, Florence, Cinque Terre. Some thoughts--let's break it down:

Sat- Milan
Sun Aft to Venice
Mon Venice
Tue Aft train to Florence
Wed Florence
Thu In transit to Paris (train)
Fri Paris
Sat Paris
Sun Depart from Paris

It is a borderline frantic pace, but it is what it is; you do start with ideal conditions by landing in Milan and departing from Paris. Pack VERY light; layers, layers.
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:22 AM

Oopss! I meant...>>you do NOT start with ideal conditions by landing in Milan and...<<
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:22 AM
ira

Hi wep,

Arrive Milan, take BUS not train to Central station. Take train to Venice.
Sat nite Venice
Sun nite Venice
Mon afternoon fly from Venice Marco Polo to Paris CDG or Orly.
Enjoy Paris
Sunday - fly home.

Have a nice visit.

Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:35 AM

I am with Ira. Since you are arriving in Milan, you might as well take advantage and visit Venice - a magical and unique place. Then go right to Paris by the most direct and economical route, probably air, and enjoy Paris for the rest of your time. If you want to stay overnight in Milan, perhaps to see the Last Supper, stay in Venice Sunday and Monday nights and go to Paris on Tuesday. If you do plan to see the Last Supper, make reservations as soon as you can.