8 days & 2 girls in the UK

Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

8 days & 2 girls in the UK

this will be our first time in UK and we have 7 days, and I want the most aggressive itenary possible. I am all about scenery & museums , old cities and castles; dont care about night life much. But if there is a must see place, we want to see that too.
The problem is, I want see the Scotland as well, so I need a must - see list. Can I just see Edinburgh? So far, I feel that Virgin Trains is the best price (London to Edinburh 45 per person) but I would love to hear if there is a better priced option (we are on a budget)
Also, we are planning for the late - october, will it be too cold? I am from İzmir, and it is always sunny here.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 03:44 AM

try thetrainline.com for the best price. Virgin goes up the West coast and the East coast line might be cheaper. East coast allows you to do York. Alternatively look at up on East and back on west...

Serioulsy suggest google maps hover over UK and type in "castle" and see the red dots light up
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM

Don't use thentrainline, they charge a booking fee. Use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM

Do you need to take the train or would you consider flying? Check www.easyjet.com to price flights.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:15 AM

Whether it will be too cold for you I couldn't say, but it certainly won't be freezing. Late October is still mid Autumn - mild compared to deepest January, and even then, the UK is never THAT cold. You will need to wear a warm jacket or coat, but that will be sufficient to keep you very comfortable.

Coaches are often cheaper than trains (www.nationalexpress.com) but I'd say London-Edinburgh is too far by road - you really need to take the train (c.4 hours) or fly (c.1 hour).

I agree with Bilbo about taking the east coast line to Edinburgh via York. York makes a great stop off - very historic city.

As you've never been to the UK, there's so much to see in London alone that I'd split your trip between that and Edinburgh. From London you can take numerous day trips if you want to historic castles and palaces such as Windsor and Hampton Court.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM

London to Glasgow or Edinburgh takes about the same time door to door on the train as it does flying. Glasgow Euston is under 4.5 hours....and you get to save the planet too...and see scenery from the window
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for answers. I think I prefer train anyway, since I get to see the scenery. So should I change my itenary to London(5 days) York (1day) and Edinburgh(2days)
Or maybe I will see the York for a day trip and divide the day between York and Edinburgh.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:38 AM

I realise it's the same from a time perspective, however, flying can be cheaper. Merely an option. Thanks for the top environmental tip.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

I am dreaming of a lovely wiev from my train, I found 35 Pound tickets for London to Edinburgh with thetrainline.com
So far, the best I found.
Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:09 AM

You can't stop in York if you book London through to Edinburgh. You'd have to book London > York and a separate York > Edinburgh ticket.

York can be done as a day trip from either city -- but it is 2+ hours on the train each way so it isn't a very efficient way to do things.

I'd take the train to York and stay one night. Next day take the train to Edinburgh for the rest of your stay. You should be able to get discount fares to/from York this early.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank a lot? How about daily tours for London and Scotland? What do you think of Stonhenge? A must see? What tour compaines did you used? I found this premium tours but I have no idea if they are good or not
Sep 3rd, 2010, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

And I feel a little stupid; but I don't need a visa for Scotland do I? The reason I ask is I thought I would not need a visa for Ireland, since I got for the UK, turns out I did.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:00 AM

No, you don't need a VISA for Scotland as it is part of the UK. Ireland isn't.
Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the flight suggestions! It is much,much cheaper, and the time saving is a big bonus. We will spend 3 days in Scotland and 4 in London. I am planning for the day trips from London, what do you think about the Stonhenge and the Bath?
Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:32 AM

4 days is not very long in London, especially since you'll likely be jet lagged on the first day. So maybe don't plan any day trips. Even dashing about like crazy people, you will barely scratch the surface in London.

Plus the day tours to Stonehenge/Bath are pretty expensive and you seem to be on a budget.

In Edinburgh you'd have time for maybe one organized day tour

http://www.rabbies.com/ and http://www.timberbush-tours.co.uk/ are good tour companies out of Edinburgh.
Sep 5th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

I found two free tours for scotland. I give myself 1 tour for the entire trip, and since I have 2 for Scotland, I thought I can pay for Stonehenge, it is 63 Pound, while expensive (for me) I think I can indulge, I am very curious about Stonehenge