Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8, 16, & two 50's: what should we see in europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that's a really big question, but we have no patience for art museums and the like, plus we can only do three-four places in late June, and one has to be Amsterdam because of work. We also think we want to do Rome, Paris (especially Disneyland), and Legoland Denmark. (we're theme park people). Does this sound reasonable? Must-sees? We have to book soon.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM

Since you'll be in Amsterdam, take a bike trip in the Netherlands. The tulips will be gone by then, but scenery is still great. The biking is super-easy because the countryside is so flat.

We very much enjoyed a day-trip with this tour guide:
http://www.letsgo-amsterdam.com/UK/indexUK.htm
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM

How long do you plan to be traveling? Are you driving, taking trains or planes or a mix?
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:18 AM

Rome, Paris, Denmark, and Amsterdam, and all about theme parks? No, it sure doesn't sound reasonable to me unless you have about a month. And "must-sees?" For theme park folks who eschew "museums and the like" it would be truly hard to conjecture.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:20 AM

If you happen to be near the Alps, a gondola ride to the top of a peak would be memorable for the boys (and you). Castles are always fun for kids too. Use your imagination, in Paris a simple walk along the Champs elysees can be fun! Lots to do, see and eat. Personally I'd skip Disneyland and do the Eiffel Tower, Montmarte, ride the Metro for fun, do a Seine river crusie, Notre Dame Cathedral, etc,etc,etc. Make the most of it and just have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, we have to do amsterdam a certain way because of work. Otherwise, in rome 16 wants to see the places from her latin textbook, one 50 wants to relive her youth, 8 wants to shop, and the other 50 just doesn't want to go crazy or spend a small fortune. And we just like Disney & Lego. We will have two weeks, maybe three days excluding travel time in each location. We will fly in from philly, and probably drive around. The gondola ride and bike ride will probably be enjoyed by all.
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:56 PM

we want to do Rome, Paris (especially Disneyland), and Legoland Denmark. (we're theme park people)

If you are going by train and for such a wide-ranging itinerary i would certainly consider it - your kids can see how great trains can be - then look at some of the Eurailpasses - simply because you will have to travel a lot to get between say Denmark and Rome - you could also consider flying between say Denmark and Rome - then it would change the calculations with the efficacy of a pass - but if doing it all by rail then by all means look at the classic Global Eurailpass. Overnight trains can take you literally across Europe at night - get on at night in Rome and wake up the next morning in Paris - saving a night's hotel cost to boot. (I took my son when he was about 8 on overnight trains and he thought they were so so fantastic - you can often book a private 4-berth compartment - kids can clamor up the tiny ladders to the upper berths)
For loads of great info on contemplating a European rail trip and on passes i always spotlight these info-laden sites: www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - download on the latter their free (and superb IMO) European Planning & Rail Guide. I am partial to rail travel, having used literally hundreds of railpasses over decades but i have also driven a lot - and with two kids in a car driving all day - as you would have to do to get to all the places you mention in your OP - i'd rather be on the train - many of which go up to nearly 200mph now - and get there much quicker. Trains are also IMO the best way of travel to meet Europeans - cars are isolating - so consider the European rail system IMO.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I also love Theme Parks and have done EuroDisney twice with my son - and though one may think it's the same as Orlando or Anaheim it ain't - lots of European themed fairy tale characters, etc. and of course Europeans mainly there - the Italians trying to cut lines - etc. So go for it - just a short RER train ride from Paris or you can take a train there from Brussels or Lyon - Marne-la-Vallee/EuroDisney station.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Update: We're doing London, Paris (one kid & parent at Louvre, the other two at Disney), and possibly Denmark, and Amsterdam is definite. The 8 is going to the museum, 16 to Disney. Anything good in London or Paris proper?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM

London - I liked seeing the Tower of London. Also, it was fun to go through the walking tunnel under the Thames River. You can see a picture at this website.
http://www.explore-london.co.uk/foot3.html

A day trip to Stonehenge or Lacock where the abbey was used in the Harry Potter films.

http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/platform9.75.html Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross Station
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 06:54 AM

There's a big ferris wheel in London.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:00 AM

If you like theme parks then you could consider Walibi World
www.walibiworld.nl/en/park.html or de Efteling www.efteling.com.

Better than those there is Muiderslot, a castle, near Amsterdam, two open air museums - in Enkhuizen and Arnhem, a few other amusement parks around, like Duinrell, near Den Haag. Artis is the zoo in Amsterdam, NEMO is a great science museum www.e-nemo.nl/en/.

Anne Frankhuis should be on every young persons itinerary in Amsterdam, even if you don't like museums. Do buy your tickets ahead of time as the queues can be terrible.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Europapark in Rust Germany (1 hour from Basel) or Gardaland on Garda lake, Italy, are two good amusement parks.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 07:48 AM

If you're considering Denmark only for Legoland, there is one just outside London, near Windsor. That would save you a lot of time and money. I have no experience so can't compare the two.

It's hard for me to answer your question, "Anything good in London or Paris proper" politely, so I'll just let that one go.
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 08:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
• You won't be driving that route

• Has Rome now been dropped?

• I agree - the expense and time to go to Denmark just for LegoLand doesn't make too much sense. Go to the one in Windsor and combine it w/ your London visit.

• "<i>Anything good in London or Paris proper?</i>" Hundreds of things. Start by clicking on DESTINATIONS above to get some ideas.

If Rome is now out of the plans -- then Amsterdam/Paris/London would totally fill your time. Fly into Amsterdam and out of London (or vice versa) so you don't have to backtrack
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Rome has been dropped to due to time. We wanted to see the original Legoland, so...but Windsor might save time, so I don't know. Paris and London I have no ideas. 100's of things, yes. Which ones would you recommend?
Old Mar 13th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are themepark addicts, add parc asterix into your mix. it's just south of DLP and has a lovely french feel - and much better food than disney too.

there are other Themepark type places in France - west of Angers on the western Loire at Cholet is the Puy de fou, which tell the story of that area of France by various shows featuring Romans [think chariot races, lions and gladiators], medieval minstrels and jousting knights on horseback, and invading vikings doing a spot of pillaging. they also have a night-time son et lumiere which is very popular with the french and features a cast of thousands - if you count the cows and chickens.

further south is futuroscope at Poitiers, which comprises a number of themepark-type rides and 3-d films, and also has a son-et lumiere show most summer evenings, as do many of teh chateaux on the Loire.

have a great trip,

regards, ann
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM

For a theme park near Paris that is quite different from any i have seen in Europe try the Mer de Sable - where you used to at least ride camels - not sure now - but France's oldest theme park.

Mer de sable | Mer de Sable - [ Translate this page ]
Parc d'attractions familial de l'indien à Ermenonville, Oise (60). Le Parc - Préparez votre visite - Contact
www.merdesable.fr/

Mer de Sable
The Seed Sea (La Mer de Sable), or Park of Ermenonville, is the first theme park built in France. Located on an amazing geological site, ...
www.aboutparis.info/15/467/la-mer-de-sable.aspx

Mer de sable (La) : Paris convention and visitors office
La Mer de Sable RN 330. 60950 ERMENONVILLE. District : Ile-de-France ... de Gaulle 1; Others means of transportation y car : From Paris (45min) Autoroute ...
en.parisinfo.com/professionnals/623/mer-de-sable-la-