Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

8:00AM flight out of Naples-Where should I stay the night before?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out where to spend the night after 4 nights in Positano if our plane leaves Naples at 8 AM on a Saturday in June. I have not booked flights yet, but have noticed the most convenient flights from Naples to Boston leave around 8 AM.

Or, what if I booked 12 PM flights? Should we chance staying in Positano until it is time to get to the airport? HELP, please!!!!! I've been searching this board, but unfortunately didn't come up with anything concrete.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:52 PM

If you plan on having a car drive you from Positano to the airport you can leave the morning of the flight...just REAL early.

For a 8 am flight you want to be at the airport at 5:30 - 6 AM so you need to be picked up at 4-4:30 AM.

If you stay in Naples you still need to be at the airport by 6 AM so you would leave your hotel by 5:30. You would only save an hour to an hour and a half.

I live 45 miles from SFO and I never stay near the airport the night before...I just leave real early.

If you plan on using public transportation or driving yourself then you should go the night before.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM

Meant to add that if you have a desire to see Naples then by all means stay there the day before the flight. There have been several recommended places posted recently.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
ira

Hi J,

If you stay in Positano and hire a driver to take you to NAP, you will leave about 1:30 - 2 hr earlier than if you stayed in Naples.

I wouldn't trust public transportation to get from Positano to NAP.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Stay in Naples that nite.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:41 AM

I think you should book the later flight.

You would definiitely need to hire a private car to get you to the airport from Positano, no matter what time you leave. And that will be expensive.

Some people have very strongly negative reactions to Napoli. (I happen to like it.) But if you are going to italy for the magical beauty of the Amalfi coast, filled with friendly, helpful, tourist-loving Italians, just know that Napoli is a chaotic, impoerished, falling apart, garbage-plagued city wtth quite a few scamsters. It is also crammed with art and fascination.

If you want to spend the night in Napoli but don't want to deal with urban riot, consider a 4star portside hotel with a view of Vesuvius or someplace grand like San Francesco al Monte. If you're curious about Napoli, go in early and tour its central sights and historic areas.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

saps, ira, bobthenavigator. and fall06,

Thanks for the information! Still not sure what I am going to do, but at least now I know what my options are! Part of me wants to see Naples, but then again, staying one more night in Positano is very enticing.................
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 03:44 PM

I've taken the early flight out and just be there not more than an hour and half early. I stay in Positano
and have a driver get me to the airport in the morning. No packing and repacking, etc. You go straight from lovely Positano to the airport. YOu don't seem like you want to visit Naples so I would skip it this trip if I were you. If you do have a tinge of curiousity about Naples have the driver leave a bit earlier and drive you around town a little before the flight.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin,

Thanks for the feedback! I like the idea of having a driver show us a bit of Naples especially if we decide to take a later flight. I'm now leaning towards the noon flights anyway!!!!!
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM

You're welcome. He can drive you for beautiful views from the hills and through different parts of town and down by the waterfront. Have fun!!!