Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   $731 CLT to CDG in June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/731-clt-to-cdg-in-june-271299/)

Betty Nov 6th, 2002 08:06 AM

$731 CLT to CDG in June?

My TA is offering this airfare from Charlotte to Paris, leaving early June, returning late June. She is using a consolidator. I'm not exactly thrilled with it, but she seems to think it's a good deal. If I just wanted 1-2 seats I would be inclined to wait for something better, but I need 7! Should I grab it?

Christina Nov 6th, 2002 08:32 AM

It seems like a very good deal to me, also. I don't know what you're comparing it to, but Charlotte is not a major US departure point to Paris and that is peak summer fare (late June definitely is and early June has been more often in the last few years). I think it is a very good price and would take it, assuming that price includes the taxes.

Wendy Nov 6th, 2002 09:00 AM

I would grab this right away! Excellent price for the busy travel season to Europe. Good luck.

Beth Nov 6th, 2002 10:08 AM

I'll offer a different opinion.,I've flown out of Charlotte the past two Junes (early June to mid-June) to CDG and London Gatwick, and gotten under $600 (first year got under $500). With seven people, it might be hearder for you to find a better deal, but I would wait until closer to January 1.

Gretchen Nov 6th, 2002 10:09 AM

Actually while Charlotte has lost its Paris flight it is USAir's major hub so the probability it will be on USAir with a good connection through Philly or Pittsburgh. I don't think you are going to do much better in that time period.

Bob Brown Nov 6th, 2002 10:11 AM

Right now prices are listed on expedia in the $1,300 range.<BR>Did your TA tell you that the flight was directly from Charlotte to Paris?<BR>There is not one that I know of.<BR>In Sept 2002 I flew from Charlotte to CDG via Philadelphia.<BR>The direct flight from Charlotte to CDG that I took in 2001 no longer exists.<BR>

Betty Nov 6th, 2002 11:08 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I didn't have all the details when I last posted but now I do. It is not a direct flight; it is on US Air and goes through Pittsburgh outward bound (2.5 hr. layover)and Philadelphia on the return ( 3 hr. layover). The $731 includes all taxes and fees. Since I had originally estimated $700 for the flight (hoping for something less), it is not far out of line. My real problem is that my only choice of departure and return dates requires that we stay in France 2 days longer than originally planned and that will cost a minimum of $150 pp more than we budgeted. But if the consensus is that this is about the best we can do, I'll take it and try to make up the difference somewhere else. Again, thanks for your input. Any other thoughts?

SA Nov 6th, 2002 11:19 AM

US Air has talked about adding the direct flight from CLT to CDG but have not @ this point. That is a good deal based on what is out there from CLT to anywhere in Europe for that time frame. I paid almost that much to go in March.

Bob Brown Nov 6th, 2002 11:39 AM

If you can, DO NOT return to the USA in Philadelphia. Lousy airport for a return. <BR>Why? Because once you go through passport control and customs, you are outside security, and to take a connecting flight you have to GO BACK THROUGH SECURITY. Thank heavens I had adquate time to get through the line last September when I came home. (I do not know the procedure in Pittsburg, you may have the same mess to go through.)<BR><BR>Why in the world they do it that way I will never know because it is a major inconvenience. I was just screened out the gazoo in Europe, and then I get an amateur job in Philadelphia. Sort of annoying.<BR>

Tom Nov 6th, 2002 01:55 PM

Betty - Sounds high.....after looking for about two weeks I purchased Minneapolis - Frankfurt leaving mid June and rtn end of June for $530 taxes included.

Betty Nov 7th, 2002 03:30 AM

Thanks for the warning, Bob, but I doubt I will have any choice about that. Beth and Tom, where and when did you find those good fares for June? Did you get them through a travel website or directly from the airlines?

Gretchen Nov 7th, 2002 03:51 AM

I'll come back and say that the MN-Frankfurt flight is probably a NW/hub flight so that kind of deal may not be possible from CLT. Have you looked at HOtwire for possible fares? You don't have to commit to it immediately and you can limit the number of connections. Since most trans-Atlantic flights leave at night and arrive in the morning it is pretty safe for departure time. And Newark is the same as Philly in the security thing--and Philly is a lovely airport. Not a particularly big deal.

Mike Nov 7th, 2002 05:05 AM

Betty,<BR>There is a connection through Pitt as opposed to Philly.

Thomas Dec 17th, 2002 10:30 AM

Betty: Any chance you can provide your TA's name or phone? My family (3) plans to travel to CDG late June/early July and all the fares are very high, even the consolidators I've checked. I'd take $731 in a second. thanks

StCirq Dec 17th, 2002 10:55 AM

Betty:<BR><BR>Just for kicks, I went onto the website (www.faredeal.com) of the consolidator I often use and plugged in Charlotte to CDG June 5-June 22 (no idea what your real dates are), 7 people, and the lowest fare they were offering was $569 on a &quot;major US carrier.&quot; I don't know if that includes taxes (probably not is my guess), or how much the taxes are, and I didn't investigate further, but you may want to.

Beth Dec 17th, 2002 11:29 AM

I did a daily search on several of the travel websites but ended up purchasing my tickets both times on Expedia.

Carolina Dec 17th, 2002 03:36 PM

Have a look at travelhub.com.<BR>Iive just booked a very cheap USAir ticket to London for June next year through them. I have used them quite a few times over the last few years and always been very pleased.<BR>