72 hrs in golden Prague

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Logan

72 hrs in golden Prague

For an early Nov visit to Praha, I have 72 hrs wondrously free of obligation. I have arranged a half-day orientation tour. I have a ticket to one night at the Nat'l Theater. I know about the Charles Bridge and the Big 4: Hradcany/Stahov, Mala Strana, Old Town/Josefov, and New Town.

If you've been to Prague, can you recommend something else not in the Big 4 that you might easily have missed but are so glad you didn't? It could be a place or a happening; a concert, restaurant, walk, or favorite memory. I'd love to know what it is.
Dekuji!
--Logan

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:33 PM
MollyB

Logan, a friend and I did have a magic moment in Prague just a couple of weeks ago: a walk down the quiet streets and byways of little Kampa Island with the many trees in full autumn foliage, framing at times shimmering Prague castle on the nearby hill.

The leaves were already falling, adding to the quiet and the beauty, so the trees may be stripped of their finery by the time you get there, but it will always be my best memory of Prague.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Art

Logan, make sure that you go thgouth the old Jewish cematary in old wotn. There is a great museum of Science and Technology.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 01:13 AM
Erlsegaard

The grounds of the former Vysehrad (castle) are a good place to walk around. The walls are all that remain of the castle, but there is a church and a Czech national cemetery there now which give the place atmosphere, and the park (which occupies the castle hill) is, or at least 4 years ago, was a really charming place to go. Many actual Czech people go there, which is a far cry from most of the sites in the center, and the tourists are on the whole inconspicuous and definitely not overrunning the place.
I also like the Bertramka museum, where Mozart lived when he was in Prague. The collection of artifacts is not particularly spectacular, pictures and antique instruments and so forth, but it's a very pleasant little house to visit, much more so than the Mozart house in Vienna (it doesn't hurt they actually play his music at a low volume throughout the building). There's also a decent little Baroque-influenced courtyard behind the house too. All of this by the way is contained in a small nook in a fairly gritty, grimy neighborhood, so it's very much off the completely beaten track. You could find an authentic Czech pub in the area too. Not to harp on authentic versus inauthentic too much, but Prague is one place where things in the tourist areas have been really souped up to the point that they bear little resemblance to the actual life of the country, which is unfortunate.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Logan

Thanks for these suggestions. The Jewish cemetery in Josefov and Kampa Island were already in my head but would not have thought the tram ride up to Vysehrad wouldn've been that good. I think you've convinced me.