$700 airfare to Rome? Help

Dec 28th, 2001, 10:43 PM
Karen

$700 airfare to Rome? Help

I am going to Rome for two weeks in June of 2002. I know this is high season. The airlines are all telling me that a $900+tax is common in June. I live in New Orleans, so I also have another leg on my trip to get to New York or Atlanta etc. I have found a 700 fare +60 tax on Delta airines for the days and times I want. Should I book this or is this still too high?

Dec 29th, 2001, 04:33 AM
xxx

Wait till Feb.

Dec 29th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Don

Normally I would also say wait 'til February--consolidators usually have Summer rates set by then, and availability is very good at that point. However, online consolidator Flights.com appear to already have a contract set with USAir at $605+tax and fees, roundtrip from MSY. Probably only one connection (at PHL); flight on Airbus 330 which is most spacious in coach-class across the Atlantic (IMHO).

Consolidator rates from ATL or NYC can't touch this 605 fare once you add a hop with Airtran or JetBlue. Maybe see if Hotwire or Priceline will bite for about $100 less (doubt it). If it was me, I'd book the 605 (+tax and fees). OneTravel shows $644+ on Delta if the first one does not work out.

There's a chance that airlines could have a sale covering early June, but probably not for much--if any--less.

Dec 29th, 2001, 09:57 AM
MK

When I check Flights.com the $605 fare is not available. It gives me $770 plus $60.60 in taxes. Am I missing something?
Thanks,
MK

Dec 29th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Don

Oh well... wait 'til February

Dec 30th, 2001, 12:50 AM
Karen

Thanks for your advice. Don, I also went to Flights.com and could not find it. I then went to Onetravel and from New Orleans to Rome starts at 1156dollars.
I was wondering what happens in February? Do the rates everywhere come down then? I have certain hotels I want to stay in and they are very popular, so I have been booking the exact rooms I want in these hotels because it is early. If I waited til February I know these hotels will be booked or the great rooms I have will be gone. If you don't book until the last minute, you must not be looking for certain places to stay, or must not want specific rooms and hotels. Also the odds of me getting a flight out and back on the dates I want seems like it would be very chancy. The dates
of all my hotels would have to be changed if these flights at the last minute came through and they may be booked. Is 700 on Delta with only one stop in Atlanta a bad price? What is the best price you(anyone) have gotten to Rome in June. Not a person who lives in New York,Alanta, Philadelphia because you don't have to pay for the extra leg of the trip. Please tell me what rate you guys think I should be holding out for? Appreciate all advice. Thank You Karen

Dec 30th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Don

The 644 rate from OneTravel is through their Farebeater (consolidator) service. It does not yet include tax, but did show availability on Sidestep. In this case, the edge goes to booking it yourself via Delta.com because of the frequent flyer mile promotions they have for self-booking via their website. $700+tax is very good for June. Like I said, a sale might come along, but who knows about airline sales? Also maybe try bidding with Priceline or Skyauction or see what Hotwire has.

Dec 30th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Marilyn

Look at the www.bestfares.com site. They are advertising June fares at well below the normal costs. It costs $60 a year to join, but you might find it worthwhile when you check out the site. We've bought tickets through them for 3 years running. It's always cheaper. Getting through on the 800 numbers is sometimes tedious, but worth the wait. Marilyn

Dec 30th, 2001, 01:38 PM
az

Karen--check out departures from Jackson, MS (JAN airport code). last spring, fares from there were ~$400 lower than MSY, ATL or DFW to Rome. we paid less than $500, all fees + insurance included. Delta and Air France had some sort of deal that was good from JAN but not from the other airports in our region.
good luck.

Dec 30th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Maurice

We took ALitalia and flew out of New York on Sept. 9th (!) last year.
I never found any "cheap flights"; maybe this coming year will be different. What I did find was the Italiatour (from Alitalia). You can mix and match flights (to Rome, return from Milan) etc. Their 5-days-in-Rome was about the same price as a flight, but gave us 5 nights at a 3-star included. We also got a bargain rate at the H.Inn in Naples, a good car rental deal. No, we didn't do all our hotels through them...
Worth a look, anyway.

Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:27 AM
Karen

Thank you all for responding to my question, but I still want to know if $700 +60 tax is a reasonable price for a flight from New Orleans to Rome. We have not direct flights so I have to pay for an extra leg to Atlanta, New York etc. I have all my hotels booked already because I wanted certain ones that are very popular and this far in advance I was even given the choice of room that I wanted at each stop. If i wait for airfares to drop lower in Spring these hotels will probably be booked. Is this a high fare for June? If I hold out what's the cheapest I could get for the specific dates that I already have hotels booked at? Bob, Elaine are you guys out there? Thoughts would be appreciated. Karen

Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:00 AM
Don

Book it. It might get cheaper... but it might not. Who knows for sure? 760 in June from MSY is very good.

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Melissa

I planned on flying to Rome, to get to Naples because I thought it would be cheaper. But, I got a roundtrip ticket from Dallas to Naples for $566.00 total on www.onetravel.com.

Feb 7th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Gaye

We booked a flight into Rome and out of Venice for early June from Denver for $700 before tax. We went through travelteam.com. We could have gotten a cheaper rate if we were willing to layover in Amsterdam for 6 hours. We decided it was worth the $ to go straight to Rome. So before you decide
on a cheaper airfare look at the details carefully. I think you are getting a good rate but think you could probably do a little better since you are closer to the east coast.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Laurina

Hello, Karen! My husband and I are going to Rome the first two weeks of June. We have had a difficult time finding reasonable airfaire. We live in Ohio. The fares on expedia.com and travelocity were around $1100 dollars. I was able to get a better rate on airlineconsolidator.com through Delta airlines for around $800. I had been watching the fare prices for the last few weeks and they did not seem to be coming down. If I were you, I'd buy now.

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:27 PM
geiffel

Yes it is high, everybody just went on sale last night.

Feb 8th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Joy

I clearly remember that there is/was an airfare sale from American Airlines a few days ago. I booked my sister from San Francisco to Venice and coming back from Milan to SFO for $548 including tax for early June travel. From the east cost, fare starts at ~$460 tax included.From St. Louis it was $608, tax included. It might be worth your time to check it out.

Feb 8th, 2002, 09:15 AM
GR

I just booked PIT to Rome for 3/02. By breaking it out myself to PIT to PHL then PHL to FCO I managed to get the PHL-FCO legs(change in Paris) to 388.00 rndtrip. The airlines may be hoping for the 700 for same in June but closer to the date they may start giving lower fares. Chancy but may be worth it.

Feb 8th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Michele

You might try checking Expedia (www.expedia.com) from time to time. I lucked out a week ago and found an open jaw in high season from Chicago to Rome, returning from Venice for $525 including taxes. We have one connection each way that involves changing airlines.

I checked back once or twice to see if fares were still cheap, but they were up closer to $1000. Maybe you'll be lucky, too, though! Good luck!

Feb 8th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Jess

Karen:

try these sites:

www.cheaptickets.com
www.travelocity.com
www.expedia.com
www.orbitz.com (although they usually don't have the best of deals.

I found my ticket to London for $400, off season of course, but it was about $200 less than what others were offering. Hotwire and Priceline are a good idea if you don't need to travel on a specific day.

good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO