Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 wks UK (mostly London), Ireland & a great 'side trip'.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, feels like I'd just finished up my last TR and here I am again. I'll try not to be quite so 'wordy' this time..........but no promises. ;-)

We knew when we came home from Europe in November we would be going back again this year. Our eldest daughter is working in London and I miss her terribly, she will be home at the end of Sept. so we wanted to get back over while the weather would still be favourable.

We used our amex points which we 'sent' to Singapore Airlines. They were great to work with and even when we decided after booking that we wanted to leave earlier, they changed the flight, no charge, and no hassle. We did need to buy some 'top up' points & pay the tax, but it was still cheaper than two economy class seats and we got b/class all the way.

As it turned out our younger daughter had booked two weeks in the US, so we planned our flights around hers, which meant we got to see her off safely on the Monday morning and our flight departed at midnight. I really like leaving at that time, by the time you pack, have dinner and get to the airport; you're really ready to go. Check in as always with b/class is a breeze. After a brief visit to the s'pore airlines lounge for a glass of bubbly we were off. The flight to S'pore was a bit ordinary, we were a bit disappointed with the service, we were comparing it to Emirates (our preferred airline) but no real complaints and the service was better all the other flights. Three hours in S'pore is never a hassle, it’s a great airport and a lovely lounge (food is great).

The flight to LHR from S'pore was on an A380 which was lovely, the seats and beds were amazing. The seats were a metre wide, really comfortable and folded down to a completely flat bed. Took my own pillow this time, so I was very comfy and slept well. DH slept pretty much the whole way.

Arrival into LHR was easy and streamline, I'd organised transfers with Ray Skinner www.london-transfers.com I was madly looking for Ray when we came out of customs, I was keen to get to our hotel, Bec works in the city and was meeting us there. I was so happy to see a big yellow sign saying “Hello Mum & Dad” being madly waved by our very excited daughter. She’d caught the tube out and had rung and checked with Ray that she could ride to the hotel with us. He was only about 5mins away, he couldn’t believe how quickly we cleared customs.

Our first hotel was ‘won’ on www.priceline.co.uk London Marriot Marble Arch £77pn incl tax It was a typical 4* hotel room and fine for what we needed. We liked the location and had dinner there the first night, which was burgers and fish & chips and perfectly adequate. After walking along Oxford st for a while and meeting up with Becs partner Dave, and having a couple of drinks, we slept like logs.

Woke to a beautiful day and thanks to Bec’s thoughtfulness we got to make our own good cup of coffee. She got us a plunger, the coffee she knows we like, Oyster cards and a prepaid UK phone all of which were put to great use. We then headed out for the real beginning of our holiday in beautiful London, which was shining like a new pin for ‘that’ wedding which was only two days away.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Great to read, but needs to be tagged as a trip report!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Dam! I can't now............may copy & paste and start again as a TR, unless you know another way???
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
really looking forward to the rest (Looks like the forum monitors added a TR tag)
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

Phew, thanks editors.

We headed off for a nice walk, as this was our 5th or 6th visit to London we didn’t need to race around quite as much. It was really all about catching up with Bec and just enjoy being in London. We walked to Marble Arch then down Park Lane along the park, then along Green Park to Buckingham Palace. It was fun to see all the temporary studios set up for the wedding and the Mall looked amazing with all the flags waving. There was definitely a buzz around. We walked through St James’s Park, which was lovely as we hadn’t done that before. Stopped in at Inn the Park for a late breakfast, how yummy, toast with homemade jams, Apple & Vanilla and my favourite Apple & Rhubard. It’s a lovely spot to people watch and relax. We kept walking on to Piccadilly Circus, made my first of many visits to Boots pharmacy for some bandaids for my blisters!!

Caught a bus to Monument (we love using the bus) to meet Bec for lunch, it was such a lovely day we bought sandwiches and sushi and sat in a little park near her work. Most excitingly, I bought the Daily Mirror and got my free Royal T Towel.........yay ;-)

Caught a bus back to the Hotel for a rest, the ‘kids’ surprised us with tickets to a football game for this night. Dh had said that was one thing he always wanted to do. So we met them at Earls Court (which we know quite well from previous trips) and had dinner at a little Italian Bistro we’d been to before. Bistro Benito great place, lovely owner and really yummy food, we ate spaghetti Bolognese, Risotto and dh had chilli prawns, and a lovely bottle of Chianti. Caught the tube to Putney Bridge and walked about 15mins to the Fulham Football ground, Craven Cottage. Our seats were in the front row to one side of the goals. Fulham played Bolton, dh even managed to ‘punch’ the ball back into play which was pretty cool, it was good fun, considering I know nothing about football/soccer, but oh dear it was cold.

Said goodbye to the 'kids' for a couple of days, we were heading off on a drive in the countryside the next day (mostly to get out of London before the mayhem of the wedding).

The next morning we went for a walk around the hotel area, had a quick breakfast at M&S then walked on toward Oxford st. Came upon Selfridges to discover a ‘live’ window display, what fun, they’d set up a ‘royal wedding’ scene c/w face masks for all the key players. Checked out of our hotel and got a cab to Kensington to collect our hire car. Dh had ‘splurged’ and got a lovely Jag for a week, so we typed Chipping Campden into the gps and off we went.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM

Love your trip report so far.

We also went to many Boots in search of bandaids for my blisters too. I found a product called compeed which was wonderful. They don't seem to sell it in the states though. I think you can find it in Australia, however.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

I KNOW how good are compeed I've never seen them in Australia bit I will look. My dd got me on to them as I have a lot of feet issues, I bought a stack back with me.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 05:50 PM
cw

I'm following along--great start to your report.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Hez

How sweet is your daughter to have all that ready for you!

I'm looking forward to hearing more.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:28 PM

Aussiedreamer, so glad to see you back with a trip report. Yours are the best ever! Looking forward to the rest of your report from England etc.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks one and all, I've said it before, but its so much easier to keep going when you know someone is enjoying.

Now, I have omitted to mention that about a week before we left dh was ‘suffering’ from mmmm how to say this politely? I can’t think and I don’t want to give ‘too’ much information, so lets say a <i>tummy bug</i> !! So the day we left ‘it’ was playing up quite a bit, so the drive was a little uncomfortable for him. We had planned to visit Oxford on the way to the Cotswolds but decided to go straight to our B&B in Chipping Campden www.stonecroft-chippingcampden.co.uk . Just lovely, the hosts were very gracious and each night there was a note on the table asking what time we we would be down for breakfast, it was a very short walk to the High street in a lovely town. I’d put so much research into which Cotswolds village to stay that I all but threw my hands up in the air and just ‘settled’ on Chipping Campden. It was lovely and we did visit a few of the others and I’m still happy with our choice.

Our hosts were just lovely and on explaining that dh didn’t ‘feel well’ they told us where we could find a doctor. Dh being a very typical male said he’d be right and lets just go for a walk. So we had a lovely walk around the village, it was a lovely clear day but very cool. About half hour into our walk dh decided that it being a holiday the next day (for the wedding) maybe he <i>should</I> go to the doctor. So we walked on a bit worried about if they would see him etc. it was quite late in the day and they seemed quite busy. But not to worry, they were lovely, saw him and pretty much said he should go to hospital but he could try pain killers and some other drugs for the weekend. If no better he would need to be admitted. GREAT!!!

We had a message from Bec during all this drama to say that after work she ‘dropped’ by the Goring Hotel and got a wave from Kate. By the time we got out the pharmacy had closed, yay, so we took a little drive to Stratford Upon Avon to the hospital pharmacy and got his prescriptions. By the time that was all done we both needed a drink. We headed to the Lygon Arms pub in the High St and had a lovely lamb shank dinner c/w a bottle of red. So with that and the ‘drugs’ he slept quite well.

The next morning he had improved slightly but as it was the wedding day we had breakfast which was just lovely and stayed in to watch it all. Loved it, normally dh wouldn’t have bothered but it worked out quite well (for me anyway ;-) ). Bec rang to say she got a great spot on the Mall just outside Clarence House and managed to see all the key players. She loved the whole thing and got some great photos.

Dh was feeling a little brighter so we headed out for a drive, we visited Stow-on-the-Wold, Snowhill , the lavender farm where we had a beautiful cream tea c/w lavender scented cream and finally Upper & Lower Slaughter. A really lovely way to spend a day, dinner that night was at another pub in Chipping Campden, the Noel Arms. Really nice food, I had a crayfish salad and a spatchcock Poussin Dh had a salad nicoise & lamb rump. When the waiter heard me say I wasn't ready for desert he offered to plate it up and let me take it back to the B&B, with the promise that we would return the plate in the morning. How lovely, it was a strawberry meringue c/w Chantilly cream & raspberry sorbet…YUM.

We checked out after breakfast the next day, with dh still not doing too well and headed to Cheltenham to pick u Bec & Dave. They caught the train from London and would be spending the next two nights with us in Dartmoor National Park.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 04:43 AM

On our trip 2 years ago after France we spent 5 nights in the Cotswolds....love it. It was Autumn and the colours were just beautiful. Spent a nice afternoon walking between the Slaughters on a trail through the farmlands. Loved Burton-on-the-Water, Oxford etc.

Brings back memories, such a pretty place in England. And loved the B&Bs. Thanks for the memories
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:11 AM

I am enjoying your report. thanks for sharing. Hope the man got better before too long into the trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:11 AM

I am enjoying your report. thanks for sharing. Hope the man got better before too long into the trip.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 06:30 AM

Keep going; I am someone enjoying! Looking forward to the end of the health complication, too!
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 07:42 AM

How sweet of your daughter to sort out the coffee and Oyster cards. (Love the Daily Mirror and tea-towel anecdote!)

Great trip report - more please!
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I'll clear up dh's health issue first, he came good over the next week or so. But he was pretty miserable there for a while. The only consolation (for me) was that it slowed him down a little, which made keeping up with him a little easier.

Found the Cheltenham train station without any problem and collected Bec & Dave. We then headed towards Devon and the lovely Dartmoor National Park. Dh & I had been there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. When the kids said they would like a couple of days in the country side and experience a B&B, we thought this would be a good choice.

We only stopped for fuel and a great Cornish Pasty from a vendor at a service station, which was yum. The first sign we saw was to Becky’s Falls so it was decided (by Bec) that we had to go there. The scenery was lovely but the falls were a bit of a letdown, but we did all enjoy the walk. Much more of a young family place, petting zoo etc. Drove through some great little villages on our way to our accommodation www.dartmeet.btinternet.co.uk . I still don’t really know what to say about this place, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, dh & I had a huge king size room with amazing views the kids had a lovely double with no view but it was a nice room. The breakfast was great there was just something lacking, we’ve stayed at a lot of b&b’s but this one was just not special. I’m sure there are much nicer, friendlier places to stay. But I must say it was in a really pretty spot. Sorry just can’t put my finger on it. The no tv thing was a pain, after a big day and a nice meal it would be just nice to relax in front of a tv. The kids thought their throats had been cut………..ha ha ha .
Had dinner at Windcombe at the Old Inn which was really nice, friendly staff and a lovely pub. Prawn cocktails, lamb chops, breaded scampi & a fish platter which were all really nice.

The next day we headed to Tintagel, again we had been here before but we loved it and I’ve often said its my favourite castle, so I knew Bec would enjoy it. And she did, even though it was quite cold and very windy. I think that adds to the mystique of this awesome place. We spent quite a few hours climbing and walking and of course dh had to go higher and further out than anyone! We had lunch in the Wootons Pub, which was Sunday Roast and perfectly adequate, it was a huge serving and I didn’t write it down but I remember we said how cheap it was. Great location for once you’ve finished walking, that fist pint doesn’t even touch the sides ;-) & I don’t even like beer!!

We then took a very pretty drive onto Port Isaac (I love Doc Martin) but being a Sunday, parking was all but impossible. So we moved onto Fowey which I know is highly praised on this site. And now I know why, just lovely, for me it was a quintessentially English fishing village. Headed back, stopping at a pub for a light snack before going back to the B&B, we all slept well. It had been a very full day.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Lovely report - and looking forward to reading more of it!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM

aussiedreamer:

Nicely done. Carry on please.

Sandy
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi aussie,

just found this - loving reading about your adventures. sorry about the parking in Port Isaac though, but I'm glad you liked Fowey.

shame about the B&B too - i remember you asking me what I thought about it; sorry I didn't spot the flaws but like you say, it can sometimes be difficult to put your finger on why something works or doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -