Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 weeks - greece / europe / london / wales / ireland

Jan 17th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

My best friend and I are planning a 7 week trip.
5 days in greece
21 days (on a tour) through europe
3 days london
8 days touring wales / scotland
8 days touring ireland
The only things that we have booked solid so far are the flights into Athens & out of Dublin & the tour through Europe
Any advice on places to stay / things to see / ways to make the most of our time etc would be greatly appreciated.
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM

Five days in Greece will go like a flash. Where will your tour start? I suggest that you stay in only one or two places, which are not too far apart. Decide whether you want to visit an island or the mainland. Personally, I prefer mainland Greece but everyone has a different view.

If you haven't already picked a tour, then I suggest you make a list of criteria of things which are important to you. For example, for me that means a small group, travel by local transport if possible, at least two nights in each place, flexibility over what I do each day, and so on.

To get the most out of your holiday, learning a few words of key languages (just the courtesies) is invaluable. Also, of course, reading about where you're going beforehand. And, really important, travel as lightly as you possibly can with regard to luggage. Luggage can quickly become a drag and if you have to buy something along the way, well that's no hardship! Pick a colour scheme and make sure that everything goes with everything else. If you're a girl, then scarves are invaluable as they're incredibly versatile and light to pack. My guideline is that if I can't easily carry my luggage a kilometre, it's too much. I hope all this is motherhood to you but I see many people who don't do these things.

Have fun!
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM

what are your interests? are you history buffs, backpackers, music and art lovers? more interested in the city scene or the country? 8 days sounds like a lot in Ireland but there's so much to do and see. we didn't do it all in over 2 weeks. Planning to rent a car in Ireland or use public transportation? that will make a difference too as to where the best places to go will be for you.
Jan 26th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions -

With the 5 days in greece, we are landing in Athens & thinking about 3 days mainland & 2 on an island, not sure which Island yet
Our europe tour is booked and all taken care of
3 days london - any suggestions on good places to stay and definate must do's?
8 days touring wales / scotland - other than bath, this part of the trip is still wide open. We are going to hire a car to travel during this part of our holiday.
8 days touring ireland - again we are going to hire a car.
We both love photography, music, history.
Thanks for your help
Jan 27th, 2011, 07:16 AM

You are asking for help but you have failed to give dates!! Time of year makes a big difference with Greece. If you go there before July, you avoid the extreme heat, and the crowds of European "holidaymakers"... but it also affects frequency of ferries.

In general I agree that your rationing is right -- 3 days Athens, 2 days outside. To show you some of the charms of the central "landmarks" area of Athens (Plaka District) here's a fab slide-show by Fodorite Stanbr (I have pix too but his are SO much better!!): http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/570719132pdjjHG -- as this clearly illustrates, that historic area is very largely a no-cars zone, low-rise, pretty lanes, quiet as compared with the frenetic 6-lane traffic and hubbub of "modern" Athens.

ATHENS SIGHTS -- Since you like history etc, but seem not to have info about Greece I suggest 2 things: a new "free" walking tour http://www.athensfreewalkingtour.com/ (really an orientation tour only) that starts outside Acrop. museum dialy at 9... about 3 hours. (you pay by tipping). Walks u BY all the famous landmarks, not IN. For tour by expert licensed guide of historic center & Acropolis: http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/ about €28 p.p. -- goes daily 9:30-1 .. u can add on a 2hr tour of new Acropolis museum. Here's the BEst list of sights/museums =hours & fees if any: http://www.athensinfoguide.com/open.htm Musicians shouldn't miss (free) Mus. of popular musical instruments (see list).

ATHENS -- Look for affordable hotel where you can walk to everything. One of our faves is Airotel Parthenon; only steps from the New Acropolis Museum, right off the pedestrianized walkway south of Acropolis & near Acrop. metro station: here's a good simplified "tourist map" of Athens http://www.cretetravel.com/Athens/At...Athens_map.htm -- and here's the BEST online map (click & it gets huge, to scroll around, find any hotel locale) http://www.orangesmile.com/destinati...ns-map-big.jpg

ISLAND -- Don't be persuaded u have time to go to Santorini, you'll either spend Big Bucks to fly both ways or spend 9 hours on ferry, plus getting to ferry/off ferry to town.. ONE WAY. Instead, look at a nearby island like Aegina -- no, it's not the "white sugar cube" dwellings you know from the calendars & brochures... but if you wanted those, you should have allotted more time to Greece. But you can have a nice daytrip or even o'nite excursion if you go to an island in Saronic Bay outside Athens (NOTE: go on weekday, because Athenians throng out on weekends). Here's how: Take Green-Line Metro (ask hotel) or a taxi (€15-20) to Piraeus port, then a 1-hour ferry (take a "regular" ferry so u can walk the decks) ... explore an interesting port-town. Rent a car drive to mid island stunning Temple of Aphaia, best-preserved temple in Greece on a high hillside. If you want, stay o'night at a beach-front hotel http://www.nautilushotel.gr/?option=...emid=1&lang=en
... this terrif photo "Day-trip to Aegina" gives you step by step what you can see/do http://www.flickr.com/photos/3626470...646139/detail/

ISLAND #2 -- if u are totally fixated on a "white sugar-cube" Cycladic Island, the only way u could do it in your time frame would be to book a flight (usually more costly) that will arrive ATH Airport early in day, take taxi to RAFINA seaport, get fast-ferry to Mykonos for a night or 2, then fly or fast-ferry back. Much more expensive, much more hassle and time spent in transport.
Jan 27th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Where does your tour start from, Athens? Or do you need 1 day of the 5 allocated to Athens to get to the start of the tour?

Definitely must do in London is to me the Tower. Expect to spend 1/2 day there - getting there first thing in the morning and heading straight for the crown jewels. Then double back to the entrance and take a free beefeater tour.
Jan 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM

I agree with TravelerJan on the beautiful and atmospheric Temple of Aphaia. It gave me the most lost-civilization, "gone with the wind" feeling I've ever had anywhere.

I also loved Delphi on the mainland.
Jan 31st, 2011, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

More details below -
Athens 15th May - 20th May
Europe 21st May - 10th June
London 10th June - 14th June
UK 14th - 21st June
Ireland 22nd - 29th June
Feb 1st, 2011, 08:59 AM

Athens and Greece are part of Europe.
Feb 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM

Athens and Greece are part of Europe.

Of course they are, but that was shorthand for a multi-country tour in addition to the time spent in Greece. I had no problem understanding what RNB77 meant.
Feb 1st, 2011, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall - your right
As I had noted before - 5 days in greece & our europe tour is booked
This is our first overseas trip so sorry if my wording isnt 100%
Feb 1st, 2011, 12:51 PM

Actually I liked the way you worded it. You said in one word what it took me to say in twelve. ;-)
Feb 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

LoL - thank you

Any tips or suggestions for the trip??
Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:13 AM

Any tips or suggestions for the trip??

I live in England and travel frequently to Greece. Although I admire your succinct writing style, it gives little to go on. Perhaps that's why you haven't had many helpful responses. Are you young? Are you travelling on a strict budget?

The itinerary in your 'Europe' tour is fixed, but you have a few months to do some research on what you would like to see and do in Greece, UK, and Ireland. I know what I like to do, and history and photography are among my interests. That still doesn't help much, because history and photographic opportunities abound everywhere in those countries.

Suggest you get some guidebooks and make a shortlist of what you hope to see. With only a week to spare, you won't be able to "tour" Wales and Scotland, only see one or two highlights in each country. There is a lot packed into a small area of North Wales, so that would be a good possibility. For Scotland, maybe Edinburgh? Don't forget you will have to travel through England to get to Wales and Scotland, and there is a lot to see there, too. How do you plan to get around? Trains? Buses? Hire car?

After you have done some research, write individual posts tagged for each country, giving more detail of your plans. As you can see, so far your post has begged more questions than answers. ;-)
Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM

Okay, looking back at your post I see you plan to hire a car and hope to see Bath, which is in SW England. You could easily spend a week travelling there from London, there is so much to see, but you won't have time. Travelling north from Bath, you could detour into North Wales to the Caernarfon - Snowdonia area, then back into England for the long slog up to Scotland. You will pass near the beautiful Lake District, but probably won't have much time to stop and enjoy. Heading back to London from Scotland you will pass Hadrian's Wall, York, the Yorkshire Dales, etc.

Frankly I don't much enjoy travelling by car in the UK anymore. Traffic is heavy, even in the countryside, parking in towns and cities is expensive and sometimes difficult to find, and roadworks and accidents cause extensive delays. It will take you 2-3 times as long to cover a given distance in the UK as in the US or Canada.

On that cheerful note, have a good trip.