Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7% Of All Tourists to Italy Go To Lake Garda!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recent copy of Rough Guide newsletter claims that "7 % of all tourists to Italy go to Lake Garda," and goes on to say how way overdevloped and ruined by tourism this lake is.

Well i still loved it, in spite of mobs at places like Sirmione!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:45 AM

And probably 90 % of those 7 % only go to the southern end (mainly Sirmione). And then there's "Gardaland"---a good example of over-development.

But we found the north end of the lake (Malcesine) to be very peaceful and in no way "ruined".
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

About the northern end, Rough Guide article says: "and the northern parts host planeloads of holidaymaakers from Britain, Germany and Austria., whose presence has definitely ruined several of the prettier lakeside villages."

and "Gargnano and Torri del Benaco are two unassuming villages whose character and charm have survived, while Punta San Viglio, a headland near Torri, is one of the few places on any of the Italian lakes where absoulte quiet reigns."

"The southern shores are hugely popular with with Italian families and Italy's most popular theme park, Gardlaland, guarantees traffic jams and heaving crowds."

I still loved Lake Garda - even more than Maggiore and Como.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:00 AM

We loved it too. And we did meet German tourists, but their presence added to our nice experience of the place---we had several friendly conversations, and even ended up hiking partway up Monte Baldo with one couple.

I think Rough Guide is being pretty negative and judgmental about this!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Maybe they visited in August, when all the lakes are a mob scene compared to other months.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I suspect that 50% or more of the tourists at the north end are German.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

or at least German speakers as Austria and German-speaking northern tip of Italy tourists would also flock here. Like Enzian we found the Germans in Riva, the main town on the most nortern tip of the lake to add to the ambience.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:17 AM

I think the Rough Guide is taking through its hate, I love Lake Garda, I think its beautiful, and I particularly love the Northern end, I dont agree its spoilt at all, Malcssine is truly beautiful, I agree Sirmione is very congested in Summer, but nonetheless very beautiful. We found all the German people to be lovely.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:01 AM

My trip next May has me going to Lake Como and Lake Maggiore, 3 days each. I'm thinking Garda would be a hike for just a day trip. Am I missing something, or just plan Garda for another time.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:17 AM
ira

egad!

Another piece of Paradise ruined by all those nasty tourists.

Where will it end?

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:19 AM

I stayed in Fornaci, which is a small fishing marina in a frazione of Pescheria del Garda, about 4 miles from Gardaland. It was quiet, but it was also true that on a beautiful day, the southern end of the lake filled up with Italian families, who came to boat ride, bicycle ride and eat ice cream in the many ornate lakeside cafes and to feed the swans. I found it charming. I also found that if I walked 10 minutes away from the lakeshore, I was in areas of town so quiet and sleepy you could hear every bird chirp.

There are lots of Germans but I don't share the Rough Guide's perpetual disdain of having other Europeans for company. Because many places in Lago di Garda cater primarily to other European tourists, it is as unusual a place as Venice culturally. In some towns, the neatness of the layout and the spotless cleanliness of the streets is more reminiscent of Switzerland.

People looking for classic la dolce vita among ancient stone walls and cypresses might be disappointed to see modern condos in Lago di Garda. But if you like great wine and a family lakeside holiday culture of fun and relaxation, Lago di Garda is very sweet and more relaxed, I think, that the fancified and touristic Lago di Como, and with more to offer than Lago Maggiore.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM

Budman,

I might give two days to Lago Maggiore (and use one of those to take a day trip to Orta) and give 2 days to Lago di Garda. The northern and southern ends of the lake are very different. The north has the dramatic scenery, while the south has the vinyards plus easy access to Verona. If you have a car, you might think of staying in Bardolino.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Here's a nice looking place:

http://www.agriturismocostadoro.com/...lakegarda.html
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:51 AM

Looks like I'll just have to plan Garda for another trip. I only have 2 full days/3 nights at Como & Orta/Maggiore and don't really want to do a drive-by shooting. Thanks for the input.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the link. What I'm really looking for is a similar place on Lake Como, the Menaggio area/side of the lake.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Would this do?

http://www.cadenabbiadigriante.com/info/riviera.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Have you stayed there? Their website doesn't give a whole lot of details/price. Is it within walking distance to the town?
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 02:54 AM

Hello,

We just booked an apartment to rent at Lake Garda for next July. Although both my husband and I have been there before it was always without kids. Our apartment that we rented doesn't come with a pool and I just heard that perhaps the lake is too dirty to swim in - specifically from the boats. Swimming is a must for our kids, of course! We will be staying near Malcesine, so I am hoping it is cleaner away from the busy southern section. Can anyone put my mind at ease about this, or should we consider booking elsewhere that has a pool?
Thanks much!
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM

Seems almost racist, this Rough Guide newsletter. And pretty ignorant too. The Italian lakes have been destinations for tourists for centuries - and all the villas and palaces along the shores of Lake Garda, Lake Como and Lago Maggiore are traces of this kind of tourism.

As others have said, Lake Garda is neither spoilt nor overcrowded. Yes, there are many tourists, but not more than at Lake Como or Lago Maggiore. The northern half of Lake Garda is extremely beautiful, only rivaled by the Amalfi Coast, and there are still dozens of fishers villages which have kept their charme. I would include Limone - my personal favourite town on Lake Garda.

Lake Garda is beautiful for swimming and the water quality is good. Water quality is regularly checked and the results are on public display. I myself have often been swimming in Lake Garda.
Old Nov 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM

Lake Garda is sublimely beautiful, particularly at the northern end. Yes, there are visitors, but nothing like the numbers you will find in other popular beauty spots elsewhere in Italy. Here are some photos, mainly from the northern end but also from other places around the lake, if you're interested: http://gardentouring.fotopic.net/c1673556_1.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -