Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   7 Nights Switzerland/France - Suggestions. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/7-nights-switzerland-france-suggestions-578255/)

SusieChef Dec 28th, 2005 09:12 AM

7 Nights Switzerland/France - Suggestions.

I'll be out visiting relatives, mid-march, in the Gstaad area. I want to take some time and see the sights in Paris and around Switzerland.

I'm starting out in Zurich, so I'm not sure if I should do the longer, scenic train (Golden Pass) on the way to Gstaad or take the quicker route.

My relatives are really only around on the weekends, so I have about 4-5 days to travel around Switzerland and possibly into France. I've been hoping to see Paris & Versaille for a long time.

I'm not much of a skiier, and the season might be done by then anyway, so that's not too much of a disappointment. I would try maybe one day if it's still nice, but it won't break my trip if I can't.

Not sure where to start in the planning. I've never done a trip like this before.

Any suggestions.
Susie

swandav2000 Dec 29th, 2005 04:18 AM

Hi SusieChef,

It's so hard to answer your question because . . . WHY would you ever want to leave Gstaad??? The Saanenland has become one of my favorite spots, and there is just so much to do there: hiking, biking, strolling, shopping, eating, and of course gazing at the scenery! Right now I'm planning my 3d stay in the area, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Ok but anyway, the trip to Paris would be about 6 or 7 hours with 1, 2, or 3 changes depending on the time you leave. You can connect with the TGV to Paris in Montreux (leaves Gstaad at 06.35 and leaves Montreux at 08.48), Lausanne, or Geneva. Train schedules are at www.rail.ch.

I would do the quick route to get to Gstaad (especially after an international flight), but then explore scenic areas after you are in Gstaad. I really like the trip from Gstaad to Montreux via Zweisimmen.

I think you should also explore at least one of the Swiss lakes that will have you bracketed, either Lake Geneva to your west or Lake Thun to your east. Perhaps your relatives will take you there!

I think you'll have a great time!

s

swandav2000 Dec 29th, 2005 06:06 AM

hmmm. A friend has pointed out my error: going from Gstaad to Montreux via Zweisimmen is quite a detour!!!

I should have said I like the trip from Gstaad to Montreux! Going from Gstaad to Zweisimmen is the route to Interlaken Ost.

Sorry!!

s

SusieChef Dec 30th, 2005 08:45 AM

Definately, I'll check out the sights of Saanen & Gstaad. But I'll be staying and visiting my brother while I'm there. He works all week and is strongly discouraging staying there all week "being bored".

I'm sure I'll find lots to do there, but there's so much else to see close by that I want to make the most of my time out there and see a few things.

My DH has already been to Paris, so I figure if I get it in during this trip, when we go back we can check out some new places together.

Thanks for the advice though... I appreciate it.

Susie

swandav2000 Dec 30th, 2005 09:19 AM

Hey SusieChef,

Sorry but I just *have* to ask . . .

Is your brother also a chef? Does he work in Gstaad? I had two tremendous meals in Gstaad and think it must be gourmet heaven!

And does your brother need an assistant? A receptionist? A clerk? A bag-carrier?? Dog walker?????? Go-fer????? I'm available!!!

s

SusieChef Dec 30th, 2005 09:31 AM

Hahaha...

Sorry, no he's not a chef. Nor does he need any of the things you offered your services for (that I'm aware of anyway). He's a teacher in Saanen. Which is a stone's throw from Gstaad.

I've already asked if the school needed any further help... in order to get myself out there, but no luck. Plus my family would miss me I'm sure!

Susie

SusieChef Dec 30th, 2005 09:32 AM

Oh, forgot to ask. Where did you eat in Gstaad?

I know my brother will know all the places, but's it's good to get other outside opinions as well.

Susie

swandav2000 Dec 30th, 2005 09:50 AM

Hi SusieChef,

I bet your brother teaches at the JFK school in Saanen; I passed it frequently when I stayed at the Steigenberger Hotel there. I also saw a lot of the kids running around, bicycling the path between Saanen & Gstaad. Actually, I did apply there for a position and was referred to an agency in the UK. Unfortunately, I don't have credentials or experience teaching at that level (I teach at a US junior college).

Anyway, I suppose I ought to get back to travel advice. **Sigh**

I ate Christmas Eve dinner 2004 at La Bagatelle (16 Gault Millau points) at the Grand Chalet Hotel; literally busted out of my pants. The next day, I ate at Chesery (18 GM points), only slightly not-as-good, I thought. Here's a link to the gourmet restaurants in Gstaad:

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/winter/gs-ku...re-gourmet.htm

Also try to stop by the grocery shop, Pernet Comestibles, which I couldn't even afford to step into!!

And just to let you know what kinds of things are available, here's a link to the summertime sports activities there (most should be good for March):

http://www.gstaad.ch/en/gs-sport.htm

Agh. Have fun!

s

jmw44 Dec 30th, 2005 10:07 AM

Oh, now wait a minute. Maybe I have the credentials to teach at the JFK, s! Of course, by the time I'm available, I'll be too old to manage a classroom. J. (Still grading midterm exams, can you believe it?)

SusieChef Dec 30th, 2005 12:14 PM

18 GM Points ???? Now you have me confused.

When are you planning to go back there?

Susie

swandav2000 Dec 30th, 2005 01:07 PM

Hi All,

SusieChef, pardon my inexcusable short-cut abbreviation; I used "GM" for Gault-Millau. If you go to the website and click on "details" for each restaurant, it will show how many points it has.

Hey jw! Oh man if I were 30 years younger . . .!! Hey, don't you use the wastebasket grading method: if it lands in the can it's an F; if it lands next to the can it's a D; if it lands one foot away, it's a C . . . Seriously, though, hope you manage to get through it all -- and have a celebration tomorrow!

s

swandav2000 Dec 30th, 2005 01:08 PM

oops. Forgot to add --

I'm planning to be there in June. One day, I'm going to get a sweet b&b or apartment in Rougemont or Chateau d'Oex and stay a month. Bored? HA!

s