Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 nights Seville and Southern Coast of Spain 2 adults, baby, hotel and itinerary help

7 nights Seville and Southern Coast of Spain 2 adults, baby, hotel and itinerary help

Aug 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Spain the third week of September. We arrive into Madrid and will take the AVE to Seville. After Seville, we plan to rent a car and drive around the coast but want to stay in one place every night. Well probably do a day trip to Cordoba and Granada but are not going to kill ourselves if we dont get to see absolutely everything (its our vacation after all).

About us - We are two adults who like good food, drink and comfort (ie, A/C and little to no noise). Let me add that we will be traveling with our 13 month old son and I will be 5 months pregnant. Our hotel budget is around $250/night.

Question - Seville - Once in Seville, we plan to stay about 3 nights. Any recommendations for where to stay? We dont need nightlife but probably should be as centrally located as possible just for convenience purposes. The Alfonso looks nice but at $400/night min., its way out of our budget.

Questions - Coast - We want to stay somewhere along the coast. I would like something beach front and comfortable in case we decide to just hang out. Our friends from the Canary Islands recommended Cadiz for beach time but Ive seen mixed/mostly negatives reviews here. Sounds like from what I want, we should go to a large resort near Marbella or Malaga? However, Ive heard those places are a little crowded (and overrun with folks just like us, haha), which we dont really want either. Although we wont kill ourselves for the cultural experience, I would like to feel like Im in Spain are there any resort areas that have nice beaches but still make you feel like you are in Spain?

Question - Besides Seville, Cordoba and Granada, any other day trip advice for our 7 nights?

Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM
ComfyShoes

NJSoutherner, Consider reviewing Day 10 onwards at this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35001438

Also, have you read Maribel Guides? (google it) It is amazingly useful. You can most definitely find great, centrally located hotels for half the cost of Alfonso.

Aug 13th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Is this the Alfonso in the Santa Cruz area down the street from the Casa Juderia? If so, there is a Hotel Fernando around the corner which is excellent and about 70 euro. The walls are a bit thin, though, and a 13 month old might make some noise. In the same area is the Hotel Alcantara, around 65 euro and I believe recommended by Rick Steeves (sp?), but the room I saw was very small.
Aug 13th, 2007, 11:53 AM

You may consider Vejer de la Frontera, in Cadiz, on a hill but very near Conil and other Atlantic beaches. The town is picturesque in itself, and much less crowded than the coast.
Aug 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM

If you can, locate somewhere downtown for Sevilla. There's a lot of action in the evenings, even with your young child. The meals are late and the heat had dropped after the late evening. It's the best Sevilla time.

Cadiz would please me too, if you like beaches. There are bars/restaurants along the beach and it's certainly worth an evening's visit. Cadiz is Spanish-the food is Spanish-the people are Spanish-and the language will be Spanish. You won't find too many foreigners on the Paseo Maritimo (the boardwalk).

You can find good food at all levels of cost. You can find lots of fresh fish as well as meat meals. Probably the main meals are fish. Fresh sole is from the Bay of Cadiz. It's been caught the day before. Don't look for fancy restaurants, the homecooking is best in Cadiz.

Cadiz is a long peninsula but the old part of the city is at the furthest part. The Paseo Maritimo is on the Atlantic on the edge of the peninsula. Whatever you do, don't miss the Paseo Maritimo. It's the heart of Cadiz.

Okay, my post is mostly about how to enjoy Andalucia. I'm not talking about visits to churches, etc.. This is for the stomach tour.

Have a good vacation too.

Blackduff
Aug 27th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips. We ended up booking a place in Nerja - the Aparturis Toboso Hotel Nerja. We wanted the Carabeo or the Paradiso but they were both booked. We were also unable to find 4 consecutive nights at the Parador or the Balcon. So was our next best option. Haven't booked the Seville part yet so we are currently looking for accomodations around $200/night that is a suite or has a sitting area (want something large enough so our son can sleep in his crib seperately from us). Good luck to us!

If anyone has any tips for traveling with a 13 month old, let me know. My husband is convinced that hopping on and off a train for a day trip to Cordoba from Seville and traveling by train to Nerja will be easy. Since we will be carrying along my 4-month pregnant belly, a stroller and a 13-month old (and luggage for the trip to Nerja and back), I'm not so convinced. Any other stroller, crib, baby food, sleeping schedule (We're hoping to keep the little guy on a east coast schedule while in Spain so he will stay up late and wake up early. Wish us luck!) advice is much appreciated.
Aug 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
ComfyShoes

Consider calling Hotel Alminar in Seville. http://tinyurl.com/2we5ul

If I could, I would advice you on matters-baby but a) I am a guy, and b) an old guy at that who is well past that stage. Thank Goodness !

Aug 28th, 2007, 01:18 AM

el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz) meets many of your prerequisites. I stay at Hotel Santa Maria. It's a 'hike' down to the beach from the Hotel, but since you're driving, that's no problem.

The Hotel is on c/Bajamar less than 100m from the river. It has a rooftop swimming pool. There's a ferryboat from across from the Hotel to Cadiz. It just operates during daytime (no night service).

el Puerto is a 'walkable' town (as is Cadiz) and is Bodegas Osborne domicile
Aug 28th, 2007, 04:24 AM

Second for Puerto. There's another good hotel in the town. It's called the Hotel Monastario (sp?). It's a renovated monastario.

Terry Bodega is also situated in Puerto and they have a great tour. Sometimes they're willing to show their horses and equipment.

Puerto is king of tapas. And don't miss the narrowist tapa bar. I think it's called in English "Shove Over". Great tapas and bags of ambiance.

Blackduff
Aug 28th, 2007, 05:35 AM

Nerja is one of the nicer seacoast towns, particularly the eastern side of town. I would also try and do a night or two in the Ronda area, which is quite spectacular.