7 hours wasn't enough in Paris - planning a trip for October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family just returned from a week long vacation in London which included a daytrip to Paris via the Eurostar. Well, my husband and I decided that we would like to go back, just the two of us, and spend more time in this wonderful city. We are thinking of returning in October, and were wondering what the weather will be like. Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM
ira

>We are thinking of returning in October, and were wondering what the weather will be like.<

Anything from perfect to cold and rainy.

Mid-Sept to mid-Oct is my favorite time.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Fall is my favorite time and is a little more predictable than spring weather. If it doesn't rain, the lighting and leaves are a photographer's deam. Rain doesn't seem to hang around for days at a time either this time of year. Another plus is you get some items on the menus that you don't get in the hot summer months, too.

Glad you liked it and didn't find it over-hyped by us franofanatics.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM

October is a lovely time to visit. You can find historical weather info here:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...170&refer=
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:21 AM

A great thing about being in Paris in October is that it's game and wild mushroom season in the restaurants, along with other seasonal foods. Yum!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses! I'm glad to see that October is a good time to visit. Keep your suggestions coming!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:31 AM

I agree, late September and early October is an ideal time to visit Paris. Just one note of caution - we will be there then and had a bit of difficulty with hotel reservations because there are lots of trade shows at that time. Be sure to reserve soon.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:42 AM

We always travel in late October -early November, and while it is sometimes cold , it is not unbearable. In fact , after our hot summers we enjoy it!
MAMC gave good advice , the fashion houses show their collections in the early part of October, so reserve now if that's when you want to go.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 08:24 AM

We were in Paris during the second half of October lst year. It was a little cooler than we had hoped, but a few layers and a pair gloves solved that. Besides, it was a good excuse to stop for hot chocolate, cafe creme, or a cappuccino to warm up!
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM

We'll be in Paris and Provence the month of October. I think it's a great time to travel. BTW, the advice for making reservations now is a good one. The Caron de Beaumarchais was booked as of a month ago!
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 01:31 PM

Tyr23,
My family and I are planning a very similar trip in July. What were you able to accomplish in the 7 hours you were in Paris?
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Here are some sugestions besides the standard items:
Markets:
Place d?Aligre (traditional plus lots of North African stands)- daily
Rue Mouffetard - late afternoon (5 p.m.) daily, on the back side of the Sorbonne hill
Bastille - Sunday market on Blvd. Richard Lenoir

Things to see:
Marais - old Jewish quarter, restored 17th century townhouses, Place des Vosges
Viaduct des Arts - an elevated park on an old Railroad viaduct with fancy shops below. Behind the Bastille, along Avenue Daumesnil
Sainte Chapelle - make sure you go upstairs
Holocaust Memorial. At the eastern end of the Ile de la Cité, behind Notre-Dame.
The new Metro line that goes from Chatelêt to the new Bibliothèque Nationale.
A walk through the Parc de Bercy

Museums:
Marmottan - Monet downstairs in the basement, the rest dedicated to Napoleon I.
Picasso Museum - restored 17th century townhouse (note the Giacometti light fixtures)
Rodin Museum -
Musée Cluny for the tapestries of the five senses. Rooms are organized by craft (weavings in one room, iron works in another, etc.)

What is together:
Bastille market, Picasso Museum, Marais.
Bastille, Place d?Aligre, Viaduct des Arts, Parc de Bercy, new Metro
Sainte Chapelle, Notre-Dame, Deportation Memorial (all on the same island)
Musée Cluny, Rue Mouffetard (look for the public baths near the Place de la Contrescarpe)
Rodin Museum, Eiffel Tower, Invalides
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 07:31 PM

First of all, 7 hours sure isn't enough time to see Paris-even 7 weeks is too short!

When we visited in 10/02 we arrived to 70 degrees and blue skies. Just the best weather for Paris-wasn't too hot and it wasn't cold and gray as usual when we visit. Then after two days we left for Strasbourg and returned a day later to Paris which had turned very cold and rainy.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:00 PM

The earlier you go in October, the more hours of day light you'll have.
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM

Hi Tyr23....I have been to Paris twice..both times September/October and both times the weather was good with an odd day of rain which can happen anywhere. Previous advice re booking well ahead is worth taking..the first time we arrived without booking and there was not a lot of accommodation available because of the annual pret a porter fashion shows. We had to book one night at a time which worked out ok but I would not chance it again. Enjoy the city of romance!
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 10:05 AM

We were there both in mid-October and early November...and there's a world of difference. In October it rained some, but mostly sunny and mild, cooler nights. The city was crowded, hotels packed to the rafters. Still lots of tourists. We headed for the countryside for a week.

Then we returned for the last couple of days of October, first week of November (my favorite). It was cold and there was rain most days, we even got some sleet. The rain usually didn't last long and we loved the way the streets glistened after a shower. We dressed in layers so we could "strip down" in museums, churches, etc. I loved wearing boots and scarves every day. The leaves on the plane trees had fallen by then and the streets were carpeted with "gold"...it was gorgeous! Crowds were at minimum...it was a lovely time to be there.