Warning - Using Cap One card to purchase foreign airfare online

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two instances in the last two months when Capital One DECLINED an online transaction to purchase airfare tickets from non-US carriers. In the past, they might call me afterwards to confirm, but at least it worked.

The first time it was declined (Taca), I called them and complained. It was a headache because the airline called me, and I had to discuss payment with someone who barely spoke English, and I put the charge on a card I don't use. I requested Capital One to move the charges from that card to theirs minus any transaction fees, which they did.

I asked them if now I should call them before buying airline tickets, and told them I was planning to buy more in the near future. They assured me it wasn't necessary.

Well, it was necessary. The same thing happened with Air Berlin a few days ago.

The person I spoke to at Cap One admitted that when the card is simply entered online and not swiped, and it's not with a domestic carrier, we should call them first.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or hearing a different story?
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM

I've always called and notified them if I was planning on using the card for an out of the country purchase. I've yet to have a problem (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!).

Going forward, I suggest you give them a call prior to using the card to buy the tickets.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM

Capital One is the single MOST vigilant card company against unauthorized transactions so they will occasionally screen out legitimate ones. Considering that Europe has chip-and-pin cards precisely because of rampant credit card fraud, you should complain less about Cap One's vigilance.

They're also the single fastest and least restrictive I've dealt with in crediting the account when you dispute a charge.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was about to use my Cap Card online for international purchases prior to our trip to Italy, I called and let them know. They could tailor the allowed international purchase to country and a date range. I didn't ask about dollar amount. Otherwise, the purchase would be blocked.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

I didn't mean to complain about their fraud detection. I just wish they had been more upfront with me the first time I called about what to do to avoid them declining the charge. That's fair BigRuss, don't you think?
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

And my experience has been a bit different from some of you. I offered to let them know about my future out of country purchase, and they said it wasn't necessary!

Therefore, the warning.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 06:26 PM

I always notify Cap One and my other cards when I'm going out of country and/or purchasing online from a foreign entity, such as airlines, hotels, pre-paid entrance fees, etc. Never had a problem.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM

I hadn't thought about it with airfare tickets but we usually let them know if we'll be traveling.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

My son has lived and worked in both India and England. Capital One was advised when he was living there and they still denied everything that he ever did in regards to airline,bus or train reservations.No matter how many times I called them from the states or he did overseas,they would still deny the transaction afterward saying it was an overseas transaction.Duh?
My daughter got the same card for living in England and has had the same luck-needless to say,they don't even try using the card anymore. So much for being global?
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strange, dutyfree...

I have two Cap One credit cards and a Cap One ATM card, and they have all three worked in a number of countries including the UK and India - given I had called Cap One first.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've used the card both for foreign performance tickets and for foreign airline ticket purchase without problems.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Lately though? I've used it successfully too. But it seems like they've tightened it up again.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:15 AM

We had same problem with a different card. I was trying to book hotel rooms in Athens and the card was denied. I called company and they said no problem the card should work now. Tried again and it was denied!! Had to use other card also. We leave next week for Greece/Turkey and have been assured it won't be a problem but I am taking another card just in case!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM

In India,whether he tried to use it in person at the train station or on a computer it would always be denied despite Capital being told he LIVES there. In the UK, train,hotel or airline tickets trying to be bought online were always denied. Everytime he/we called they would tell us that he had it in his record that he lived there and he had a $5000 limit( which he wasn't even close to) but no one could explain WHY? It is the reason why one should always have a second credit card with them when they are overseas. Just saying.....
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:59 AM

they are getting more vigilant and you do have to call them now before making foreign purchases. Of course the fact that it is an airline is kind of irrelevant, it's because it is a foreign purchase.

I had the same thing happen to me earlier this year when buying train and airline tickets online. You have to give them a travel note. I know they can be a little clueless as they don't seem to comprehend that you aren't really traveling yet, but you want to buy foreign purchases online in advance. They don't have a good way to deal with that so you kind of have to tell them either before each one (only good if you only plan one or so) or tell them you are traveling in that country with an earlier start date than when you really get there.

It was dumb for them to tell you it wasn't necessary, they don't have the best customer service, unfortunately.