Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   7 days/Paris in August (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/7-days-paris-in-august-983189/)

milestogoneedadvice Jun 27th, 2013 10:59 AM

7 days/Paris in August

We will have 7 days in Paris to end our adventure. We will take the Seine River Cruise, Paris to Normandy and back to Paris. The 7 days in Paris will be after the cruise and the grand finale' or finale' as it is.

I've checked the Eiffel Tower and it is booked. I read that you can still go early or late in the day, stand in line and maybe get to take the elevator up.

We will buy the Museum pass and that will get us going for sure . I've read about the Paris Plages which might be fun to see and the Paris Open Air Cinemas, which are both unique summer events.

We have done an 18 mile bike tour in NYC and loved it. Looking at a bike tour for Paris, but it will probably depend on the weather. Everything I have read can be summed up with one word. Unpredictable! But It sounds like hot is more likely.

I have read about the public transportation and I think we can manage that easily.

We will definitely take a day trip to Versailles possibly Reims.

Please comment on your favorites in Paris, advice on restaurants, or on the best ways to experience Paris. Also if you have a favorite app or handbook for Paris, that would be great.

Thank you for all of your help!

suze Jun 27th, 2013 11:14 AM

I've only been to Paris once for a week. I didn't have any plans. We just picked up a city map upon arrival and planned a few things to go do each day. Worked out spendid. The Paris Plage definitely has always interested me in a kooky way. This also was in August. We spend a lot of time in parks (Luxembourg, Tuleries, etc.)

susan001 Jun 27th, 2013 11:39 AM

I had put myself on a schedule for my 5 nights in Paris in Sept. Then my brother suggested I watch Anthony Bourdain's The Layover - Paris, available on itunes. I've changed my approach dramatically. I've cut out about 2/3rds of my "must sees" so I can have plenty of relaxing, meandering, cafe sitting time. No waiting in line at the Eiffel Tower (though I hadn't planned to do that anyway). Paris now has loan bikes stationed all over to get you from place to place. I don't plan to do that but you seem like seasoned bicyclists.

Christina Jun 27th, 2013 12:13 PM

I think you have a pretty good schedule, a few things you like or want to do in a week. Paris Plages isn't really anything special, they just truck in some sand to put along the Seine and people lay out sunbathing. I thought the open air cinema was all the way out at Villette? That's kind of far, but if so and you go out there, there is a terrific music museum at that location, if you are at all interested in musical instruments.

Just enjoy walking around, see some nice parks as they do those well, and cafe-sitting, that's part of the culture.

Why do you want to go up in the Eiffel Tower? Because if it is the view, I'd suggest as an alternative, go up the Montparnasse Tower at night, it is even taller (I think), and you get a 360 degree view, and there often isn't any wait, or it is minimal. Great view of the city lights.

August is pretty dull in a lot of places, not a lot going on, Paris also. I mean things like concerts, etc. There are a few things, but not as many as the rest of the year, but maybe you dont' care about those,you don't mention them. I just get an entertainment guide at a newsstand and look at the concerts going on so maybe try to find one in a church that is free or minimal cost, especially a pretty church which makes a nice experience (like the church on St Louis en Ile is very pretty). Ask for Pariscope at a newstand, it is only one euro or less. It is in French but mainly listings so you can probably make things out.

denisea Jun 27th, 2013 04:56 PM

We loved Reims and the Cathedral there. Easy TGV train there and Champagne in the summer, can't be a bad idea. Giverny might also be nice but with 7 days, I wouldn't do too many day trips.

The MP Tower is a good suggestion. I have been to Paris many times and don't feel the need to go up to the top of the ET. I love the view from the towers at Notre Dame but n August, the line could be significant. If you want to make the climb, go early to avoid waiting for ever!

amamax2 Jun 27th, 2013 05:41 PM

For the Eiffel Tower, you can buy a ticket to walk up the stairs to the second floor; the line is shorter, and then if you wish to go the the third floor, you can buy a ticket and take the elevator from the second floor. Another option is to do the Behind-The-Scenes Tour, which is not too much more in price and gets you to the second floor also. I've read it is an interesting tour.

Besides the Fat Tire Bike Tours, which get great reviews, one that I would love to do on our next trip to Paris is through http://frenchmystiquetours.com/.

Like others have mentioned, one of the best things to do in Paris is to simply wander - it is a beautiful city. Perhaps a walking tour focused on Chocolate or Bakeries?

toneyks Jun 27th, 2013 06:05 PM

We are also spending a week of August in Paris. CHRISTINA: I have been trying to find info about the music museum. Unfortunately their website is all in French. Can you tell me anything more about it?

michele_d Jun 27th, 2013 07:04 PM

We spent a week in Paris in August and it was unusually hot, upper 90s. The heat wipes you out pretty quickly. Plan to head out early in the day to do some sightseeing. After lunch head back to the apt for a cold shower and a little relaxing inside for a couple hours. Head back out later in the day and evening. You will feel refreshed and ready for several more hours of sightseeing. Don't forget to carry water with you.

This is how we managed the heat and it worked well for us. I found the Paris Plages interesting. We enjoyed strolling along the Seine at night, listening to the various musicians playing along the river. Those were some of our best memories.