Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   7 Days Madeira - to much? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/7-days-madeira-to-much-426314/)

Henda Apr 28th, 2004 01:39 AM

7 Days Madeira - to much?

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Madeira for May 2005. After reading all that has been said on Madeira I am now uncertain if perhaps 7 days is to long to spend on this island. We will be 4 friends travelling, late forty's, and moslty interested in exploring interesting towns, shopping. We are not into beaches and hiking, just easy relaxing and enjoying new frontiers.Any advice?

m_kingdom2 Apr 28th, 2004 04:08 AM

I've been there for a week, it's a place you can relax - not one where you are always on the go. People can go there for months on end. To be honest with you, I don't care for it much at all, it's pretty now beautiful, attractive not stunning etcetera etcetera.

Try northern Tenerife - much more beautiful, and stay at Hotel Botanico which has a superb new spa complex and food and service that is always top notch. Ignore the negative press that Tenerife has received - that is all in the south which is vile and very common, the North is historical and pleasant.

RichardK May 4th, 2004 11:18 AM

I just returned this past weekend from Madeira having spent 7 days. IMO 7 days is too long unless you are into hiking the back country and levada trails. Please be aware that the EU has pumped a lot of money into Madeira and as a result there is a fair bit of construction going on in the island. Many of the coastal towns outside of Funchal are being repaved, new roads, new harbours, new tunnels, etc. - making it all "tourist friendly" for future travelers!
The outlying towns are not especially picturesque or interesting - the shopping is essentially in Funchal and the main town can be essentially explored in 2 days. The entire island can be "done" in 2-3 days if you are not hiking the trails.
My wife and I found the 7 days to be too long, but I am sure you will find other posters who will disagree with me.
If you want to experience Portugal then my recommendation would be Northern Portugal - if it's a European island experience you are after, there are many other alternatives.

MyriamC May 4th, 2004 12:11 PM

I agree, if you're not into hiking 7 days is too long. Besides Funchal there's not much shopping to do. And the towns aren't very interested. Madeira is a paradise for nature lovers, though.

Debs May 4th, 2004 03:30 PM

Although Madeira is beautiful, 7 days may be a bit too long if you're not really interested in hiking. Why not consider splitting your trip between Madeira and somewhere on mainland Portugal. Lisbon is great for starters-perhaps 3 in Madeira and the balance in Lisbon, where you can day trip to Cascais, Sintra or further afield. IMHO, don't think you can go wrong anywhere in Portugal-just tailor your trip to your interests. ENJOY!

Bob1 May 27th, 2004 03:41 PM

Just returned from 3 nights in Madeira and 3 nights in Lisbon.

Time spent in both was just right. Could have spent a little more time in Lisbon to explore more. The 3 nights in Madeira was perfect.

Do the tobbogin ride down the hill. Fun!