7 Days in Switzerland

Search

7 Days in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7 Days in Switzerland

We are spending a quick 7/8 days in Switzerland next May prior to a longer trip in Italy. This will be our first time to Switzerland. We fly into Zurich. Can you please comment on this itinerary:

Day 1: Land in Zurich, immediately take train to Lucerne
Days 2 & 3: Lucerne - spend two days here
Days 4 & 5: Take train to Wengen or Murren - do hiking
Days 6 & 7: Lausanne
Day 8: Depart from Geneva on train for Florence

Can this be done easily without a car? Will trains be less expensive than car rental?
Thank you!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:04 AM

You will probably get a lot of responses to this.

Yes, definitely easily doable without a car. The Swiss rail system is fabulous. Do not bother yourself with a car especially if you want to stay in Murren as it is car free!

When are you going in May? Not sure when some of the cable cars, funiculars, etc. will be open for you. Others will comment on that.

Lucern is a beautiful small city and you can take mountain trips form there.

Wengen, etc. - Berner Oblerland. Hopefully the weather will be with you and you will see the spectacular Alps.

Lausanne - On Lake Geneva - Can go to Chateau du Chillon, take river boat to Vevey, Montreux, etc. Lausanne itself is very very hilly. I'll never forget us lugging our luggage up the hill from the train station.

I would suggest leaving your hotel the earliest in the AM that you can when going to another destination as you can spend a number of hours just getting to another destination and checking into your hotel. You don't want to waste time.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:44 AM

Agree with what kenav said. A car would be a hassle for this itinerary.

Wengen in May? Probably a bit too early in the year. Hardly any hotels open. I'd suggest to stay in Lauterbrunnen instead.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

We are going May 19 - 26. So this could be too early for Wengen? We are really looking forward to doing some hiking in the mountains. Does Lauterbrunnen have hiking opportunities at that time of year?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM

cars are useless in places like Wengen where you cannot even reach by car but must park it in Lauterbrunnen down below and take the train up to Wengen itself - trains are a great way to do Switzereland and if you look at the Swiss Saver Railpass it will probably be the cheapest way as well (like parking your car in Lauterbrunnen could cost a ton itself per day) - passes are valid on trains, postal buses, lake boats (drop down to Interlaken some late afternoon and take a relaxing cruise on Lake Thun, gloriously backdropped by the Jungfrau Massif high aboard - awesome baby! - passes also good on city buses and trams and give free entry to over 400 Swiss museums - in Geneva too you can take lake boat cruises that are fun - anyway check out these fantastic IMO sites for lots about Swiss trains, passes, lake boats, etc - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.swisstravelsystem.com - find regular fares at the latter site - and Swiss Passes are often significantly cheaper if bought in North America than for the same pass in Switzerland so check each sources when doing price comparisons - when I check a few weeks back the difference was worth buying before arrival - but these things can change so check both prices in Swiss francs and dollars - keeping in mind for purchases with credit cards in francs often mean a further 3% or so charge.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM

cars are useless in places like Wengen where you cannot even reach by car but must park it in Lauterbrunnen down below and take the train up to Wengen itself - trains are a great way to do Switzereland and if you look at the Swiss Saver Railpass it will probably be the cheapest way as well (like parking your car in Lauterbrunnen could cost a ton itself per day) - passes are valid on trains, postal buses, lake boats (drop down to Interlaken some late afternoon and take a relaxing cruise on Lake Thun, gloriously backdropped by the Jungfrau Massif high aboard - awesome baby! - passes also good on city buses and trams and give free entry to over 400 Swiss museums - in Geneva too you can take lake boat cruises that are fun - anyway check out these fantastic IMO sites for lots about Swiss trains, passes, lake boats, etc - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.swisstravelsystem.com - find regular fares at the latter site - and Swiss Passes are often significantly cheaper if bought in North America than for the same pass in Switzerland so check each sources when doing price comparisons - when I check a few weeks back the difference was worth buying before arrival - but these things can change so check both prices in Swiss francs and dollars - keeping in mind for purchases with credit cards in francs often mean a further 3% or so charge.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

We looked at the Saver Flexi Pass and are a bit confused. Following is the information provided. Does this mean that an 8 day pass is

Book the Swiss Flexi Pass

Number of adults: Would you like a free Swiss Family Card?
YesNoNumber of children: How many days of travel?
3 days in 1 month4 days in 1 month5 days in 1 month6 days in 1 monthIn what class of Service?
1st Class2nd Class
1 youth
1st Class 2nd Class
4 days $322.00 $214.00
8 days $465.00 $310.00
15 days $562.00 $374.00
22 days $647.00 $431.00
1 month $713.00 $474.00
Please Note: Pass is valid for travelers under age 26 on the first date of travel. Pass must be used within 6 months of date of purchase. Pass must be validated at the train station prior to boarding your first train. Prices are subject to change.

Book the Swiss Youth Pass

Number of youths: Would you like a free Swiss Family Card?
YesNoHow many days of travel?
4 days8 days15 days22 days1 monthIn what class of Service?
1st Class2nd Class
1 adult
1st Class 1 adult
2nd Class
4 days $364.00 $242.00
8 days $527.00 $351.00
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

I hit the send button too fast. Here is a more concise question:
We looked at the Saver Flexi Pass and are a bit confused. Following is the information provided.

A Saver Flexi Pass is shared by 2-5 people traveling together at all times that gives you a chosen number of travel days within a specified time period

Book the Swiss Flexi Pass
1 adult 1 adult
1st Class 2nd Class
8 days $527.00 $351.00

Does this mean it cost $351 per person, or $351 for a pass that 2-5 travelers can use?
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:00 AM

I believe it's per person. You must travel together at all times on the various transportation (train, bus, cable cars, funicular, boats, etc.)

We loved it. No waiting on line to buy tickets on the train, just flash it to the ticket taker who comes around once you're sitting comfortably on board the train and you're good!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Hi megdean,

I strongly suggest that you price out all of your train rides and see which pass or discount card will save you the most money. You can get all the fares for your trips at the Swiss rail site

www.rail.ch

Then add them up and compare to the various passes and cards. I used to have to do a spreadsheet to keep track of all the combinations and options -- and then the Half Fare Card always came out as the most economical for me. It costs 110 chf and gives you half off practically everything that moves for one month.

You don't say if you are travelling with children, but children under 16 years old travel for free when they are with their parents.

Good luck with the figuring!!

s
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - I was truthfully a bit shocked at the price. Thought it would be less than a rental car, which was $550 USD for the week.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 11:21 AM

figure in your parking charges - not insignificant IME - and $8/gal petro into your costs. And do check prices in U.S. dollars if the $550 is a conversion as passes indeed are often 15% or more cheaper here than there IME.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Yes,t he transportation tickets are pricey. But, again, it lets you in on other means of transport besides the trains - 50% off most top of mountain cable cars, etc.

Also, where will you park in no-car towns?
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:14 AM

Yes, 19-26 May is too early for Wengen IMO. Only very few hotels and restaurants will be open. The cog-train is open all year round, but the cable car to Männlichen (and gondola from Grindelwald to Männlichen) started operation 28 May this year. Probably the same weekend next year.

This indicates the hiking trails at higher elevation (like Männlichen - Kleine Scheidegg) will be snow covered/muddy/not accessible earlier. Of course it depends on the actual weather, the snow situation in winter etc.

Lauterbrunnen would be my choice this time of year. More hotels/restaurants open and you can easily get up to higher elevations if weather/conditions co-operate.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:37 AM

The larger town of Interlaken will be "open". It's a much bigger town than Wengen, Murren and Lauterbrunnen and from there you can take short. lovely train rides to towns like Lauterbrunnen, and yet be more in the middle of things (restaurants) during this shoulder season.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM

You do not actually hike IN Wengen. You can walk around the town, but most areas are very "hilly."

You can use Wengen as a base for exploring and hiking the Bernese Oberland. But, you don't HAVE to stay in Wengen.

I like Wengen because of its beautiful views of Lauterbrunnen. I stay at a place that has a deck overlooking the the Lauterbrunnen Valley and Staubbach Falls. In the morning when I wake and venture outside, I feel as though I could just reach out and touch the waterfall.

One of the best walks in the BO is the hike from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. If the Mannlichen cablecar is not running then you wouldn't be able to do this portion of the hike. You could take the train from Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and walk back down to Wengen. But, as Ingo indicated above, there could be snow and mud on the footpath.

Another good hike involves taking the train from Wengen to Wilderswil and then hopping on the cog train up to the Schynige Platte. You would then get off here and walk the Schynige Platte "loop." The payoff for this walk is a fantastic view of Interlaken, Lake Brienz, and Lake Thun.

But, you have hit the nail on the head when you realised that train and cablecar tickets in the BO are VERY EXPENSIVE. You are looking at Disney World pricing here. Just as you would pay a lot of money to "ride the rides" at DW or Epcot, the same goes for the "rides" in the BO.

Switzerland is VERY EXPENSIVE for the American tourist in general. You are looking at at New York or London prices on most things. Don't even think of walking down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich for an afternoon of shopping. The pricetags here will give you the shivers.

In Wengen, you will pay at least 25+ (CHF) for an entree at one of the hotel restaurants. A glass of wine will be 10+

You could save money by staying in 2-star hotels, shopping for a picnic lunch at the COOP, and buying a Half-Fare Card for your excursions.

Restaurants are also very expensive in Luzern. Keith and I ate at the Hofgarten Restaurant in Luzern last August. This is a nice restaurant, but it is no Jasper at the Palace Hotel. Entrees at the Hofgarten started around 32 CHF. That is about $40 US. This is what I pay at TOP restaurants in Manhattan.

No, sweetie darling, Switzerland is NOT for the budget tourist, but it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

P_P
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 07:51 AM

For budget accommodations look at Interlaken - I always base there in part because of the excellent transportation hub for hops not only into the hills but to places like Bern, Lucerne or boat rides on the two lakes that bookend Interlaken - but also because there is a plethora of budget hotels you just do not find in most Swiss cities or in Wengen type places - I often get a hotel single room for $40-50 and not a dump either but not the Ritz either. Young folk will find several hostels, including the infamous Baolmer's Auberge.
Old Jul 15th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Switzerland is VERY EXPENSIVE for the American tourist in general. You are looking at at New York or London prices on most things. Don't even think of walking down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich for an afternoon of shopping. The pricetags here will give you the shivers>

hear hear - anything you will need be sure to bring with you - toiletries, lotions, clothing - everything with the exception of booze which is reasonably priced IME
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Hikers who can stand seriously descents can take an unforgettable hike down from Schnyige Platte towards Grindelwald, being mesmerized the whole way by the whole of the Grindelwald amphitheatre en route.
Old Jul 16th, 2011, 06:39 AM

Hikers who can stand seriously descents can take an unforgettable hike down from Schnyige Platte towards Grindelwald, being mesmerized the whole way by the whole of the Grindelwald amphitheatre en route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -