Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   7 Days in Ireland - Itinerary Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/7-days-in-ireland-itinerary-question-876418/)

megdean Feb 3rd, 2011 11:48 AM

7 Days in Ireland - Itinerary Question

Seems this site is full of itinerary questions, and I have one as well. We are traveling to Ireland in August this year. Renting a car in Dublin. Here are our thoughts - my key concern is that I do not want to be in the car all day, so want to make sure the driving times are reasonable. No more than 3-4 hours per day in the car is desired. Would like time for hiking as well.

Day 1 - Arrive into Dublin
Day 2 - Dublin
Day 3 - Drive to Kilkenny - see sites around Cashel
Day 4 - Drive to Kenmare - see town
Day 5 - Ring of Kerry - stay in Kenmare
Day 6 - Drive to Dingle, see Dingle Pennisula
Day 7 - Drive back to Dublin to arrive in evening
Day 8 - Fly out in morning

Should we skip Kenmare and spend more time in Dingle? Or vice versa?

Thank you!!

megdean Feb 3rd, 2011 11:50 AM

I should have noted that on

Day 3, we would stay in Kilkenny,
Day 4 and 5 stay in Kenmare,
day 6 stay in Dingle,
day 7, stay by Dublin airport.

The flights are already booked - wish I had flown out of Shannon, but too late for that.

Cowboy1968 Feb 3rd, 2011 11:59 AM

You could visit Cashel on your way from Kilkenny to Kenmare on day 4.
There is lots to see and do in and around Kilkenny on day 3 where few(er) tourists go, e.g. Dunmore cave or Jerpoint Abbey.
Can't help with your Dingle/Kenmare problem, though.

jent103 Feb 3rd, 2011 01:03 PM

You're going to have a significant amount of time in the car every day except your full day in Dublin. Kenmare and Dingle are both beautiful, but I'd take out one if I were you. If you want scenery, I'd pick Dingle; Kenmare area will have more hiking with the national park, seems like it has a few more bad-weather options. Just my impression, though.

The "scenic drives" like the ROK and the Slea Head loop will have you in the car half a day at the very least, unless you just don't stop anywhere.

SeeDee Feb 3rd, 2011 01:34 PM

Cashel does not tie in very well with Kilkenny, particularly if you are intending to overnight in Kilkenny on Day 3. You will be passing through Cashel when you travel back to Dublin from Dingle on Day 7.

Kilkenny is a relatively short distance from Dublin, reachable by lunchtime. You could shorten your journey on Day 4, by moving a little further onward on Day 3.

Keep to the Kenmare and Dingle option to your trip although maybe you might consider going hiking in preference to the Ring of Kerry drive; a day away from the car should be given some thought.

megdean Feb 3rd, 2011 03:18 PM

Maybe I should stay in Cashel the night of Day 3? I put down driving times according to Google maps.

Day 1 - Arrive into Dublin in morning - see Dublin
Day 2 - Dublin - stay in Dublin
Day 3 - Drive to Cashel (2 hr) - see Rock of Cashel. Stay in Cashel
Day 4 - Drive to Kenmare (2.5 hrs) - see town. Stay in Kenmare
Day 5 - Stay in Kenmare - go hiking
Day 6 - Drive to Dingle (2hr), see Dingle Pennisula. Stay in Dingle
Day 7 - Drive back to Dublin (4 hr) to arrive in evening. Stay near airport
Day 8 - Fly out in morning

jent103 Feb 3rd, 2011 07:20 PM

Just a heads up: It took us three hours to get from Kenmare to Dingle. Driving times are slower in Ireland - a rule of thumb I learned here which worked well for us is to take the times on viamichelin.com (I haven't compared them to Google Maps) and add 50%. You need time for slow cars, sheep and getting lost.

If you choose to keep both Kenmare and Dingle, I definitely agree with the plan to hike on your full day in Kenmare. I would need at least one day out of the car! :) Your day 6 will be a lot of time in the car, between 2-3 hours to Dingle and then driving the loop.

SeeDee Feb 4th, 2011 04:15 AM

Day 3 - as the Rock of Cashel is the only major attraction there, I would incorporate Kilkenny en route.
The Kilkenny to Cashel leg will not be on a Primary National road but you might find your day underused if you limit yourself to just Cashel alone.

megdean Feb 19th, 2011 01:05 PM

Thanks to all of your comments, I have come up with a slightly different plan. Does this make more sense? I looked at viamichelin and added 50% to the drive, as suggested.

Day 1 - arrive into Dublin at 7am
day 2 - Stay in Dublin
Day 3 - Drive to either Kenmare or Dingle (we will choose only one) (about 6 hour drive)
Day 4 - Stay in Kenmare or Dingle (which ever one we stay at on Day 3)
Day 5 - Drive to Kinsale (2.5 hours from Kenmare or 4 hours from Dingle)
Day 6 - Stay in Kinsale
Day 7- Drive to Dublin to arrive by night. See cashel on way. (4.5 hour drive)

Suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

max1217 Apr 27th, 2012 09:39 AM

So what did you end up doing?

megdean Apr 28th, 2012 01:17 PM

We ended up doing the following itinerary:

Day 1 - arrive into Dublin at 7am. Stayed at Schoolhouse Hotel
day 2 - Stay in Dublin. Did Trinity College sponsored city alking tour
Day 3 - Drive to Kinsale, stopping in Kilkenny for visit. Stayed at the Cloisters B&B
Day 4 - Stay in Kinsale - loved it here!
Day 5 - Drive to Dingle. Stayed at Greenmount House
Day 6 - Stay in Dingle
Day 7- Drive to Dublin , stopping in Cashel on way

We had a great trip. Only wish we had planned better and flown out of Shannon instead of Dublin. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, we look forward to covering more of the northern areas.