Reload this Page >

7 Days in Germany - Late November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Rachel

Hello, <BR> <BR>We are flying to Frankfurt on November 17 and have a full 7 days to see what we can of Germany. I'm completely lost on where to go, what to see, how much time to plan on spending in each place, and where to stay. Just to give some background, we are coming from Manhattan and cost is not much of an issue. We are most concerned about this trip being memorable. If anyone has some suggested itineraries I would greatly appreciate it. We are planning on renting a car for the entire trip. <BR> <BR>Thank you in advance!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Steve

Rachel, <BR>My wife and I have done this trip a couple of times the last 3 years. A couple of suggestions. <BR> <BR>The first day is basically shot from the flight over. Get a hotel within a couple of hours of Frankfurt. We personally prefer Rothenburg for the first Night. Nice little medievel town that is very quite at night. You could also head towards St Goar and the Rhine river area for the first night. <BR> <BR>As for the rest of your itinerary, pull a search on this site to look at the numerous questions that are similar to yours. <BR> <BR>If you have not made you flight arrangements, look at flying into Frankfurt and out of Munich. You will get much more time to see the country.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:17 AM
pasquale

Good advice above. We did the following last year in 7 days and had a great time: We stayed with friends outside of Ramstein AFB, but along the Rhine would be fine or Rothenburg or any of the places below: <BR> <BR>We arrived in Frankfurt, rented our car, and visited until about 3. <BR> <BR>Heidelburg - 1 whole afternoon - don't walk up to the castle. Find out about transportation. It is really steep. We did it and are definitely too old to do it, which is anything over 30. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg - 1 whole day (spending the night there would be nice) <BR> <BR>The Rhine Valley Overview - 1 whole day, but then we returned; one whole day in Rudesheim. Lots of castles and wonderful shopping. <BR> <BR>Trier and Luxembourg - 1 whole day <BR> <BR>Metz, France - 1 whole day <BR> <BR>If you want to skip Metz, you might be able to drive down to Freiburg. Their market at the base of the cathedral was the best we've seen anywhere. Marvelous pestos and chile pastes, olives, and sundried tomato concoctions.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:32 AM
Clare

My parents and I actually did a whirlwind trip of Germany a few months ago. We decided against a hire car and caught the ICE (fast) trains instead which was not as economical as a car but a lot easier on the would be driver (me). My folks has certain places they had to see, and having been before could avoid the Rhine, Black forest and Bavarian regions. We started in Frankfurt and caught a train to Hannover (exploring for a few hours) then up to Luebeck (exploring for a couple of hrs) then down to Hamburg for the night. 1 day exploring Hamburg, caught the evening train to Berlin where we stayed 2 days then down to Dresden (2 days), Leipzig then back to Frankfurt. Whirlwind trips are not everyone's style but worked for us. Also roads in Germany can be quite chaotic when it snows which it can in November. <BR>Happy Travels

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Russ

<BR>If it's a memorable trip you desire, rent a car in Frankfurt and follow the suggestions made previously for the Rhine River Valley. One of the pricier but almost universally praised hotels here is housed in a castle called "Auf Schönburg", located high above the river in the middle of the beautiful Rhine Gorge in the town of Oberwesel. Day-trip from here to Marksburg Castle across the river in Braubach for a tour of the only undestroyed castle along the Rhine; to the attractive town of Boppard, with its Roman ruins, pleasant old-town center, chairlift ride to a lookout over the river, and nice river promenade; and to half-timbered Bacharach and quaint St. Goar, dominated by the tourable Rheinfels Castle ruins. River cruise boats hit all these towns. You might also day-trip to Burg Eltz castle near the Mosel River between Koblenz and Cochem, and explore the Mosel River towns as well - Cochem, Beilstein, Zell, Alf, Traben-Trarbach, and Bernkastel are all exceptional spots to stop along the way, and Trier, if a bit far from Oberwesel and the Rhine given its location near the border of Luxembourg, is well worth a visit for its Roman ruins and UNESCO Heritage sight cathedrals. <BR> <BR>I'd return the car to Frankfurt ater 4 days in this area, then head somewhere completely different for a few days. Berlin is a great European city. The Alps are wonderful if you want more nature - Berchtesgaden and Salzburg make a great combo destination, or Garmisch-Partenkirchen/Mittenwald, further west. In either case, take the ICE train, as Clare suggests, so that your driver can finally vacation, and enjoy a dining car experience on what might be the most efficient train system in the world. (I know cost is less important to you, but a German Rail twinpass might be a better buy than regular tickets for a long-distance ride and back.) <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR>Russ <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Russ

Forgot you're going in late November; Burg Eltz will be closed and the boats will be idle then. You can still tour Marksburg Castle, and Rheinfels should be open weekends. Auf Schönburg will be open for business.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:55 PM
Joe

I can highly recommend Hamburg (where we've lived for two years). Although the weather is often dreary (like London or Seattle), there is so much to see and do here. Mostly, it's the Portugese seafood or the great French food--and don't forget wonderful falafel at Saliba. <BR>the nightlife is something extremely unique--not just the hookers on the Reeperbahn, but the non-stop bars and clubs on the Kiez, in Sternschanze, and in St. Georg. If you come, it's quite worth it to visit on a Saturday, see the harbor, the Michel (St. Michaelis church), the Rathaus, and a museum or two. Take a nap, then head out to the clubs (leave passport at home and just take cash with you). Party all night (literally), then head down to the Fischmart--the fish market that opens at 6:30, where you see fish (and other wares) hawkers, booths of all kinds, and bands in the old fish auction hall. <BR>Quite worth it! <BR>All the best, <BR>joe

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Ann

Rachel, a friend from the forum I recently advised about a trip to Germany just gave me some feedback that driving was much tougher than she'd anticipated, although she hadn't asked about that. So first, though you haven't asked about it, either, let me tell you that you will need to become well acquainted with the German system of road-marking. That is, the N/S/E/W we're used to will not be apparent; instead, know which is the next good-sized town in the direction you wish to travel, because LOCATIONS will be your compass. Having said that, I would definitely travel by car, since it is a wonderful way to get acquainted with the country, and gives you far greater options for sightseeing. Do be cautious lest there is "black ice" on roads in November. I would first go to Eisenach, and stay at the Hotel auf der Wartburg, at the steps of Wartburg castle (where Martin Luther worked on his translation of the Bible). Try wartburghotel.de. Be sure to have dinner there, as well. The town is rapidly renovating after coming out of the east neglect, and is wonderful; do see Bach's birthplace while you're there. Stay two days if you can. Leaving Eisenach, go south to Rothenburg; stay at Reichs Kuchenmeister (wonderful atmosphere and restaurant) or the Burghotel (a relais du silence hotel), also for two nights. I like both over the Eisenhut. Websites/reservations at rothenburg.de. <BR>Even though it's a lot of picking up and moving, I'd stay one night in Trier on the Mosel, just to see what that lovely area of Germany is like. There's SO much to see in Trier, but you'll at least scratch the surface. See the dom, where what is reputed to be Christ's robe is kept; you'll walk past Karl Marx's birthplace to get there. Visit the Emperor Constantine's throneroom, now a church; see some of the Roman monuments, and if you have time, visit the museum. By all means taste Mosel wine! Save your last two nights (if that's what you meant by 7 full days) for Burghotel auf Schonburg on the Rhine. It's magical! And do make reservations for dinner there at the same time you make your room reservation (closed Mondays). Try hotel-schoenburg.com. Then an easy, short drive to the airport and you'll be out of a 1,000-year-old castle onto a jet and enroute home. Let me know if you need specific driving directions or other suggestions for accommodations, and have a wonderful trip.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 11:30 AM
Bob

We have done this trip a few times and will be doing it again this year. My recommendation for a first visit: <BR> <BR>Rent a car. <BR> <BR>Frankfurt to Rothenburg. Spend 2 nights as 1st night is wasted. Enjoy the town day 1 and take night watchman tour that evening. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg (on the Romantic Road) to Garmisch: Stop at Dinkelsbuhl on way south. You can investigate other stops on the way. End up at Garmisch. Spend a few nights there enjoying the beauty of Bavaria and the Alps in winter. Visit all the Ludwig castles and maybe Innsbruck. Also Oberammergau. Garmisch is great base to see all this area. Go to top of Zugspitz on a clear day. <BR> <BR>Garmisch to Heidelberg. Spend last day and evening in Heidelberg. Visit the castle. Wake up early in the morning and drive straight to Frankfurt airport...an easy drive on the weekend...and it beats staying in an airport hotel on the last night. <BR> <BR>Recommended places to stay: <BR> <BR>Reichs Kutchenmeister in Rothenburg.(ask for rooms in the old building. Restaurant is also good) <BR>Hilleprandt in Garmisch (room 1 or 2) <BR>Zur Backmulde in Heidelberg. <BR> <BR>All the above places are very clean, reasonable priced, good ambiance and located very well. <BR> <BR>Bavaria and the Alps are awesome in the winter. The Mosel is great in summer, but lacks the punch of the Alps if you are there in November.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 03:31 AM
carol

I agree with the prior post from Bob. Definitely a day in Rothenburg (since it is November, don't miss the Kathe Wohlfahrt for any christmas items you have in mind to buy) If you decide to drive, follow the Romantic road with a stop in Dinklesbuhl. Continue on to Fussen (looks like a winter postcard) perhaps Neuschwanstein, if this of interest to you; and onto Garmish. Plan ahead-because there are so many possibilities. If you decide on the Rhine area (I prefer earlier fall for this trip), Heidelburg is definitely worth a stop.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Ginny

Never been the history is too off putting for me even though I am sure there are many Germans who share there own grief on this past. Wait wait I did spend a day at daucau and Munich. If I could follow through on a trip to Germany I would visit Dresden, Berlin and around the time you are going the amazing christmas market. Where is it again Nurenberg. I am not sure it will be cold cold cold but that market has a webcam on it every year. I should think it would be an experience not soon forgotten, it's huge.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 11:24 AM
SJK

I spent three months in Germany last year, mostly working but I did some traveling. I was based out of Cologne, and it's definately worth a vist. The famous Cologne cathederal is a must-see. As Cologne is on the Rhine, you can combine this with your trips to Marksburg and other castles along the way. <BR> <BR>If you like castles, I wouldn't miss the tourist-y Neushwanstein in Bavaria and combine that with a trip to Munich. The Alps look magnificent in the distance! <BR> <BR>I didn't have a car but I found train service to be extremely efficient and punctual. The high-speed ICE trains are pretty amazing. If you plan on taking any overnight trains, I'd make sure to get a reservation for the sleeping car. I didn't and lived to regret it when I shared a car with about 5 other people ALL NIGHT!