7 Days in Barcelona - Ideas?

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Susan

7 Days in Barcelona - Ideas?

I will be in Barcelona for 7 days in June. I am interested in spending a day or two outside the city seeing some of the surrounding area. Is the Costa Brava worth an overnight trip? Any ideas?

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:36 AM
Rex

Unfortunately, I can't advise on the Costa Brava per se, but I recommend the foothills of the Pyrennees, to the north (slightly northwest) - - such as Seu d'Urgell.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Jean Valjean

The area of Costa Brava is indeed worth a couple of days (for sightseeing), or more (if you want to spend some days at the beach)

However, there are many other things to do in BCN and around...

Figueres: Dali Museum
Girona: Nice medieval town
Cadaques: Up to the north, nice fisherman village (a little bit commercialized, Dali lived there)
Sitges: Catalonia's party central, beautiful little town by the beach
Tarragona: Roman ruins, and a nice town
Poblet / Santas Creus: Monasteries. Quite impressive.
Montserrat: Another monastery, nice setting.

These are but a few...

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Rex

topping real questions, seeking to get things back to travel, even if only a little bit...

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:56 PM
Cher

Well, I'm definately not an expert on Spain, but while I visited Barcelona I took side trips to the Costa Brava, and as answer to your question, yes, it's worth an overnight trip, but it can also be just a day trip. The answer is, do you prefer a beach vacation or a city vacation? As much as I found the city fascinating, my idea of a vacation is the beach.
Pay it forward.
Cher

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 12:27 AM
Tamar

To Rex: a follow-on question about northern Spain -
We plan a 2 week trip to the north of Spain, Pyrennees area etc. Preferably a low budget trip while driving a rental car.
Does this area offer accomodation facilities in the form of small pensions, B&B Zimmer, etc?
Also would you please be able to recommend some top "must see's" in the area?