Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7 days and 6 nights in Paris. Please help!

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone! This will be my first time to Paris and I am not a big musem person but still want to hit the major sites. I also want to have some free time to just "do nothing". Below is my plan can you please provide some advice and see if the routes make sense? Thanks so much! Btw, I'll be staying in 6th by Dovoc metro station

Thursday: Arrived Ory at 13:00
( I travel internationally quite often and sleep very well in planes so jet lag is not a problem for me)
Hotel - Notre Dame - Sainte Chapelle - Dinner @ Chez Dumont

Friday: Champs Elsyees - The Arc de Trumphe- Louvre - Wine tasting

Sat: Versatilles - maybe catch an opera at night when back in town?

Sunday: Orsay - Eiffel Tower - Seine Cruise

Monday : Opera Distrit - shopping - Marais - Montmartre

Tuesday: Cooking Class? - Left Bank - Luxenburg Garden

Any other "shouldn't be miss" sites or food? LOVE food but is still budget concious.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 01:20 AM

When are you going? The Opera National de Paris sells out, so I would check the schedule (WWW.OPERADEPARIS.FR) and try to book that ASAP. Also, if you are going for the "experience" of the opera hall (and you have a choice of programs), pick whatever's at the Opera Garnier. If you are going because you actually like opera, obviously either the Garnier or Bastille is fine. (Just my opinion.)
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 01:52 AM

Unless you are super into cooking and even then, I'd skip the cooking class and use that time and Saturday afternoon for your "free time" I think the metro you must be staying near is Duroc and the restaurant you have chosen is likely Chez Dumonet. Otherwise, the plan looks fine.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 03:25 AM

I wouldn't "wed" myself to Versailles and be loose about it--go if you have seen enough in Paris. I think it's fun to do the Seine cruise the first night--sort of just as the sun is going down and the lights coming up. It would fit very nicely with your first night from the Pont Neuf cruise landing. Take a bottle of wine.
The DK Guide to Paris is a nice guide book in that it organizes the sites/sights in "areas" so while you are at the Arc, you can see what else is new.
Be sure to include a market street and one of the roving street markets in your experience.
If not the Opera, there are the concerts at St. Chappelle that are a wonderful way to spend an evening.
The Orangerie would be a good stop for the Monet experience, in spite of saying you aren't a museum person. Sometimes we take ourselves by surprise.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 03:56 AM

www.eurocheapo.com Paris City guides

www.parisvoice.com current goins on.

might day trip out ot Chartres if time one day

pretty amazing cathedral/town

Have fun,
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 03:59 AM

I think your itinerary looks fine. Do agree that you should get opera tickets in advance or find out about concerts at various churches. If you are staying in a hotel, perhaps your concierge or desk clerk can book them for you if your French is not up to doing it yourself.

On your Left Bank day, try to get to the Rue Mouffetard for the markets there.

Hope to see a trip report!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:27 AM

You have left plenty of free time in your itinerary. There are lots of great suggestions for restaurants on this site. If you love food, research places for lunch or dinner. Your itinerary allows for adding things as you go along. For instance, if you are going in the spring or early summer, stop by the Musee Rodin for the beautiful roses in the sculpture garden.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 04:35 AM

I would go to the Marais on Sunday - it is fun and bustling there since the shops are open in that area on Sundays. Also if you are not a museum person I might say skip the Louvre (though of course go there and take pics of the outside) and instead go to Musee L'Orangerie.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Duroc Metro station?

Thurs...St Chapelle opein till 6, OK.

Friday...add Palais Royal, Place Vendome, rue de Rivoli, maybe Louvre des Antiquaries (high end antique stores). Champps Elysee...ok. Do you have a wine tasting picked out? There are also Wine bars.

Saturday..Opera tickets bought? Assume you will take RER to Versailles? It will be busy, get there early

Sunday..make that a nighttime Seine cruise. Approach Eiffel via Trocadero Metro stop (Right bank)

Monday.too much for one day. Add in the Passages (indoor shopping arcades) near Louvre/Grands Magasins. Pick either Montmartre or Marais, I'd do Marais first. Marais on its own could fill a good part of the day. Place des Vosges in Marais is primo.

Tues...Blvd St Germain

Consider a Paris Walks (or other) walking tour. They are good value, and it is nice to have someone take you around, tell stories, and bring you places that may not be on the regular guide book path.

If you are not keen on museums, there are some smaller, bite siez) ones that you could do instead of Louvre/Orsay. Like Orangerie (near Louvre), Jaquemart-Andre(near Grands magains), Moyen Age (Cluny, in 5th), Histore de Paris (Carnavalet, in Marais), Marmottan(in 16th)...
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 06:03 AM

I am not a fan of the Louvre, although I have been a number of times, and the best was with Michael Osman who showed us how the building was built (basement). But in my opinion, the interior of the Orsay is just stunning and not to be missed. Don't have to spend the day--go to the 3rd floor--or look at the Art Nouveau exhibit, or "something".
The Carnavalet is one of our favorites with the exhibits being a history of Paris--see it as artists depicted it in 1500, for example. Or in the 20's.
And the Cluny--just go see the Lady and the Unicorn maybe.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!! I can't wait to go on my trip!!
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:03 AM

We liked taking the Batobus, which is a 'boat bus' on the Seine. You can buy an all-day hop-on-hop-off ticket which is very reasonable. It stops running around 9 pm, depending on the season. It goes to the top sites to visit in Paris, and is lovely to ride it after dark and see Paris all lit up.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM

We loved Chez Dumonet! My understanding is at least part of the Musee D'Orsey is closed for renovation; you may want to check into it.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:18 AM

We loved Chez Dumonet! My understanding is at least part of the Musee D'Orsey is closed for renovation; you may want to check into it.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:19 AM

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Yikes, sorry...
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM

bookmark