7 days/6 nights in Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife & I will be first time travellers to Switzerland - 7 days/6 nights. Getting in and out from Zurich. Firstly, which will be a better travel option - by train/2nd cl or rent a car ? Secondly, visit areas of Bernese Oberland-Central Switzerland- Northeastern Switzerland.Thirdly, avoid the very touristy sights; but of course a visit to the Matterhorn base, Jungfrau and St Gallen-Lake Constance. Any other recommendations please ?
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 01:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what time of the year? Why are you visiting the country, what do you like to do, are straw baths an interest for example or do you want to hike, cycle or..?
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM

With 6 nites I would have 2 destinations only---the Berner Oberland and Luzern. That will give you the best of CH.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 06:26 AM

I agree with bob's suggestion of two locations in six days. And trains are usually a better option than a car rental in mountainous Switzerland. Consider getting a Swisspass if you will be using trains frequently. The pass is also good for boats and mountain gondolas, etc., so is usually the most economical choice.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:42 PM

Depending on the season: if you really want to avoid very touristy areas in July/August, skip Lucerne, Jungfrau and Matterhorn. Instead, explore North-Eastern Switzerland. St.Gallen, Appenzell, Lake Constance area, Stein am Rhein, Schaffhausen and Basel. You can do that easily by public transport. Bike along Lake Constance and Rhine.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 04:09 PM

We too are going at the end of this summer but will stay 10 nts: 2 Lucerne, 3 Interlaken, 2 Zermatt, 2 Montreux, 1 Geneva and home from there. We have definitely decided on 2d class train and will utilize an 8-day Swiss Pass for two, after procuring one-way fares from Zurich airport to Lucerne. We need the 8-day pass after arrival in Lucerne. Depending on weather, we plan to access the mtns from Interlaken which we feel would give us more options. One-night stays in Europe travel are always tough, therefore the most I'd say you could do would be perhaps to shoot to your furthest destination first (Zermatt?) for 2-2-2 night stays. But perhaps 3 and 3 might be best. It is not a big country, you can day-trip from your point of stay and go in another direction. For example, we hope to see Bern from Interlaken, but if the weather is sublime, we may wish to stick to the mtn villages (Gimmelwald, Murren, Wengen). Using the train is so convenient and easy and relaxing for both of us. We can both enjoy all the scenery and schedules are ample from which to choose.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can not take a car to Wengen, Murren, Kleine Sheidegg , Gimmelwald. You have to park in Interlaken, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen and take the train in.

The most touristy thing in Switzerland is the Lion of Luzern Monument but if you are in Luzern you should see it anyway.

I am not a big fan of sleeping in Interlaken.

Thin
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your invaluable inputs. We will be around during first week of May. Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald seem very tempting getaways. Peppers much appreciate the tip for areas where cars cannot be taken.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would do it all by train. Driving in Switzerland can be a little crazy imo.