Search

Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2014, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

Hi all

Going to Italy in May for the first time as a solo female traveller.

I am deciding if Rick Steve's tour is advisable or not?

I have travelled alone to Europe and it was just fine.

Thanks in advance,
Samira
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 04:46 PM

Samira if you have travelled alone in Europe before why would this be different? You can travel alone to Italy as well.

Only you know if you would like the constraints of a tour, having to be up and ready at a certain time, staying in hotels you might not really care for, eating at restaurants that might not be very good. For me it would be an awful experience but it might be worth it to you for the security and the easier aspect of having things organized for you.

What are the places you want to see in Italy?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 05:00 PM

I woul dput together your own itinerary before looking at a tour. How do you know you can find one that goes where you want.

IMHO Italy is one of the easiest countries to travel in - everything is VERY accessible.
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

thank you both

yes, my concern for the tour is exactly what raincity traveller mentioned. i just wanted to double check and see if there is anything else i need to know...

i am considering Rome, Florence and Venice but i am open to suggestions.

is train the fastest way of transportation between these places?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 09:37 PM

I have traveled throughout Italy and would not hesitate to travel alone. You are more at risk for theft and less at risk for bodily harm than here in the United States. I would use the money you would pay for a Rick Steves tour to hire a guide here and there (esp Rome--where there is someone lovely named Marta).
Have you read the book A Journey of One's Own--lovely and practical account of women traveling alone. Probably out of print, but you could also probably find it used somewhere.
I would suggest an open jaw flight, flying into Venice and out of Rome, or alternative, flying into Milan (Malpensa), taking taxi to Varenna, spending two nights in this quiet village (unfortunately made popular by Rick Steves) on Lake Como, then taking train to Stazione Centrale in Milan and going straight on to Venice.
How much time do you have, what is your budget, and what do you like to do?
Old Dec 1st, 2014, 09:40 PM

ps Rick Steves does have good taste. I always travel with his guidebooks (plus others, I am a guidebook geek) Even my Italian husband has learned from him.

I would be glad to offer hotel recommendations.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 03:59 AM

Rome, Florence & Venice are good choices if you've never visited Italy before. How much time do you have? There are such lovely spots in between them, and it'd be a shame to miss them, but again, it depends on how much time you have and what your interests are.

I travelled to Italy alone with no problems, and that was before cell phones and GPS. You will be fine.

Much of the fun is in the planning, and knowing that you've researched your trip (logistics, costs, etc) will give you a stronger sense of security too, IMHO.

BTW...there are travel groups that I've seen online that cater to single travellers...one I think was O Solo Mio, something like that. There are also ones for women travellers. You might want to check them out.

The more info you have the more fun your trip will be.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 05:15 AM

I don't subscribe to the "you'll be fine" school of advice. You might be fine, but there are several factors to consider. For example:

Cost. Can you do the trip yourself for less than by taking a tour? (See next related question.)

Effort. Most people here are somewhat savvy travelers who don't take tours and do a lot of research -- and end up spending less than on a tour. But are you willing and able to do that research? For some people, it's fun; for others, it's a nuisance.

Sociability. You're traveling alone. Do you prefer to be in the company of like-minded travelers on a tour? Or would you rather go solitary?

Assistance. If it's your first time at a locale, you'll have a lot of questions -- what's the best time to climb to the roof of the Duomo, what's the best deal on vaporetto tickets, and so on. This sort of goes back to the research question. Do you want to figure it out on your own or rely on a tour guide?
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sociability. I'm only happy traveling completely solo for about a week. After that, I crave conversation.

Assistance. If you stay in a hotel, you should always be able get tourist info from the staff. (Pick hotels that have been praised for this.) It's nice to do a little research about where you're going, and you should do some research whether you go solo or on a tour, but you don't have to be a walking guidebook when you arrive.

My primary 'problem' with tours is their pacing and the early starts every day, but they do reduce a lot of other travel challenges.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 08:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Depending on the tour (budget to moderate vs. upscale), the hotels provided are often located outside of the main tourist areas so may not be located within walking distance to sites you may want to see on your free time.

Restaurants and meals included in tours are typically not the best either from what I've read.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 09:53 AM

Hi Samira--

My spouse and I have traveled to Italy many times by ourselves. You can do it too. We took tours our first couple of times to Europe but had the same problems as discussed above so decided to go on our own and now wouldn't do it on a tour.

The three cities you're thinking of are the ones you'd want to see on a first trip, and they are doable by yourself by train.

So buy a good guidebook or two (Fodors is good for what's where in the most frequented tourist areas, not so good for hotel and restaurant suggestions; I've never used R. Steve's guidebooks but from talking with others, they give a good detailed description of how to get to the places covered) Use Tripadvisor to find places to stay--zero in on the area(s) you want to stay in and match hotels with your budget.

In Roma, I'd make proximity of your hotel to a metro (subway) stop a top priority and in Venice, walking distance to a vaporetto stop as that is how you'll get around. Florence is walkable and there is a good bus system from most places where tourists stay.

In Italy, I wouldn't bother with a guidebook to find restaurants: there will be good food at almost any restaurant--especially those that look crowded at mealtime. Our criteria for a good restaurant is one that is near (and open) where we are when we get hungry.

The only thing I would caution you--as a female travelling alone anywhere--is to beware of "friendly strangers" and NEVER accept anything to eat or drink that you didn't buy yourself and see delivered to your table by a waiter, nor leave any food or drink on the table when you go to the restroom or elsewhere. It is (or used to be) common for rapists to put drugs in food or drink. I wouldn't let that stop you from going, but just be careful.

Buon viaggio!
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:06 AM

Rick's PBS show last week was on Rome, Florence and Venice if you haven't seen it - shows a good side of Rick.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all

As for timing, maximum 10 days will do.

As for budget, I am ok with spending to the point to be comfortable and happy.

My main questions are transpotration between cities. From Rome to Florence for example I found too many train options online. I would choose the one that is fastest and most convenient. Still searching...

And yes, I think probably the tour is not for me because of all that is said above.

Thanks again,
S
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you want some company but don't want a tour, you can join up for the small group guided tours run by people like Context Rome - a day or half day with a small group and a very good guide could be a lot of fun. In any event I would strongly advise a guide for the Forum - it can be very difficult to understand what you are looking at without some help; I've seen it 3 times now and it's still a heap of stones!

in 10 days, unless you like travelling fast, I'd do just 2 out of the 3 big cities - Venice and Rome would be my choice, flying into one and out of the other.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 11:44 AM

My main questions are transpotration between cities. From Rome to Florence for example I found too many train options online. I would choose the one that is fastest and most convenient. Still searching...>

Well there are two separate train companies competing on the Rome-florence line - www.trenitalia.com and italo treno - not sure of correct site name - latter has more cheaper fares more often many say.

Trenitalia.com runs the bulk of the trains and the trains are basically all the same though there are high-speed trains - fastest trains than do not stop between Rome and Florence and much slower regional and IC trains.

You can book on trenitalia.com months in advance to get the limited in number discounted tickets that however I think are non-changeable non-refundable so set in stone but you can save a lot than by just showing up and buying a full-fare ticket.

But if you want to pay full fare you can IME always get on trains without advance purchase - just that you pay a lot more for the exact same seat on the exact same train (like air fares) - the fastest trains are the most comfy too IME so stick to those. Regional trains can take 2-4 times as long as they stop incessantly and also are not nearly as modern or comfy.

amnyway for loads of great info on Italian trains in general I always spotlight these IMO superb sources: www.seat61.com - good info on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

There is an Italy Eurailpass but for your plans it would be a waste of money - either buy in advance online or wait until your there - either way will be much cheaper than a pass.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 01:13 PM

You could fly from Venice to Rome in say an hour (if there are non stops). Alitalia has reasonably priced 1 way flights. I agree with 10 days, only doing 2 art cities and I, too, would choose Venice and Rome.
Where we stay in Venice: Pensione Accademia. On the expensive side, but beautiful old palazzo that used to be Russian embassy with a garden in back (green is hard to come by in Venice), just a 5 minute walk from Accademia museum, near Campo Santa Margherita, the Zattere (where Italians take their passegiatta) and a 15 minute walk from Piazza San Marco--far enough but close enough. Edges Grand Canal and small canal, close to two vaporetto stops. Far more wealthy people than we stay at this 3plus star hotel. Lack of restaurant compensated for by excellent trattoria a 1 minute walk away.

Rome: We choose Due Torri, also a 3 star. Small rooms, but very charming, GREAT location on small dead end street between the Piazza Navona and the Tiber river. I don't know about Metro stops because we can walk almost everywhere from here and use modestly priced taxis when we can't. 20 walk to San Pietro and Vatican museum. A 5 star hotel out of our range close by is the Raphael--a Relais and Chateaux hotel, with wonderful rooftop restaurant.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

This is very helpful information. Thank you

Now, I am considering Venice and Rome in 10 days as per your advice.

Flying would between the two cities would ideal. I have to look that up.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
August, although the flight might be shorter than the train journey, by the time you've factored in getting to the airport, the time needed to check in, and the hassle the other end, I suspect that there is little time saving with flying as opposed to the train, and trains are more fun!

you could also decide what time you want to leave and book your ticket in advance, thus taking advantage of the savings on offer. On trenitalia, there are hourly trains from Venezia Santa Lucia to Roma Termini, and the journey takes 3 ¾ hours. If you travel around lunch time, tickets start at €40, which isn't bad. once you take into account the cost of getting to and from the airports, I suspect that there is little difference.

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/searc...D=KZpFGTAWAzvW

there is also the Italo service, but I don't know much about that. i did however look at their website, and found that the trains go to Tibertina, rather than Termini, take about the same amount of time, and cost about the same, so it may depend on where your hotel in Rome is which one you'd want to take:

https://biglietti.italotreno.it/Book...neTreno_A.aspx
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM

There is no advantage in flying from Rome to Venice or vice-versa. The high-speed train is not only simpler, often cheaper, more comfortable and ultimately takes less time depending on where you stay in Rome, it is also the case that while bad weather and labor strikes may ground air traffic, the high-speed trains between Rome and Venice run if when nothing else is moving. Only a catastrophe could possibly result in their not getting you there, and most often right on time.

If you end up planning your own trip, you should think about whether you want to start in Venice and end Rome or vice versa. Also, many people take a pause passing through Florence to get off the train and see David's Michaelangelo, or take a walking tour, before moving on. The train takes less than 4 hours, so you can spend 4 to 6 hours in Florence and still be at your next stop in time for cocktails if you would enjoy a day like that. Some people don't. Some people do.
Old Dec 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM

IMO, Venice is a better place to rid yourself of jet lag than Rome. Venice is an easier city once you get out of the crowd that runs from the Piazza San Marco to the Rialto bridge. There is the beauty of small canals, much quiet, no cars, excellent art and, contrary to its reputation, excellent food. Rome is more spread out, more noisy, the Vatican museum is fabulous and HUGE (I'd get a guide)--it's an incredible city, but it is not an easy one.

I cede to the train people. I love trains, andactually, have never gone from Venice to Rome by any mode of transport. We go everywhere from Genoa,where my husband grew up, where there is a small easy airport that we get rides to and then an hour later we are in Rome, take a taxi to our hotel and it's easy. So if I had only 11 days, I'd fly because my experience is that it would save a half day, which is a lot in 11..But I can see the advantage of the other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -