Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   7 Day Trip To Andalusia Dec 2017 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/7-day-trip-to-andalusia-dec-2017-a-1516128/)

4TakeTheRoad Oct 28th, 2017 05:06 AM

7 Day Trip To Andalusia Dec 2017

We are planning a trip to Andulasia this December. The plan is to reach Madrid on the 22nd early morning and then head to Andulasia that day for 7 days. The plan is to visit Seville, White Hills and Granada.

Our desire is to reach Granada on the 25th since we've heard that the Christmas celebrations are special. That also poses a challenge. Are the celebrations better in Seville or Ronda by any chance ?

1. What has been the train experience from Madrid to Granada ? The only option is RENFE. The other option would be to take AVE to Cordoba and then take the RENFE to Granada ?
2. Has anyone driven from Granada to White Hills ? Or the other way round ? Seems like a long drive compared to from Seville.

Another option is to go to Seville first, drive to White Hills for a day trip, and then take a train from Seville to Granada on the 25th.

Another option is to go Seville first, drive to White Hills and then take a train from there to Granada.

Welcome feedback.

kja Oct 28th, 2017 06:43 AM

With so little time and traveling in winter, consider skipping the white towns. You'll want at least 2 if not 3 nights in Granada (the Alhambra alone takes the better part of a day), 3 or 4 days in Sevilla, and you haven't mentioned Cordoba -- Cordoba's Mezquita is one of the world's gems, and although many people visit Cordoba for just a few hours, it is easily worth a day or two.

From train route from Madrid to Granada is actually part train, part bus because of a track issue and its a very easy trip. There are lots of posts about that -- do a search.

As for order, I'd think more about when you will be where and what you want to do -- many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Hope that helps!

Bedar Oct 28th, 2017 07:42 AM

Forget the white villages. Nothing there, not interesting in the least. But, be sure to go to Cordoba. You can get off the train there, see the city and the Mezquita, go on to Granada, and then on to Seville.

KarenWoo Oct 28th, 2017 01:32 PM

I agree with Kja and bed are about Córdoba. We recently returned from Andalusia and spent 2 nights in Córdoba and loved it.

We took the ALSA bus from Córdoba to Granada, and then from Granada to Malaga. The bus is new, clean, and air-conditioned. They gave us bottled water and snacks on the bus from Granada to Malaga.

KarenWoo Oct 28th, 2017 02:04 PM

Meant to say bedar. Auto correct can be annoying!

4TakeTheRoad Oct 28th, 2017 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the great responses. This is very helpful. We will skip White Villages and add Cordoba to the trip then. I just did a quick search of the forum as Kja suggested and there are a couple of alternatives including the Ave to Malaga and then a 90 minute bus ride to Granada.

Any thoughts on Christmas being better in Granada or Seville ?

I ask as the other option would be do to Seville first, then Granada. Cordoba last in either case on the return to Madrid.

Any thoughts on what the drive is like between Seville and Granada ?

I plan to get Eurail passes and will search the forum for the best way as it looked like something one considering but again needs some planning.

kja Oct 28th, 2017 06:22 PM

You can get an idea of your transportation options at rome2rio.com -- just be sure to check the links to which it directs you, as rome2rio itself is not sensitive to seasonal variation.

Having a car for this trip will not be an advantage, and could instead be quite a detriment as parking is limited and expensive in the cities you are considering.

Bedar Oct 29th, 2017 08:50 AM

When I lived in Spain for many years, Christmas was a very quiet, family event. There were no Christmas trees, lights, or Santa Clauses. Christmas Eve (Nochebuena) was the big celebration with a big family dinner, perhaps church, and then going out to bars/assiverestaurants. Gift-giving takes place on Epiphany (Reyes) January 6th. Nowadays things are different - lots of decorations, creches, etc. Saw some photos here on Fodors showing massive street light displays in Malaga. I'm sure Granada and Seville would be the same, perhaps more in Seville since it's a larger city. But, wherever you land up, it's sure to be festive.
Feliz Navidad !!

Bedar Oct 29th, 2017 09:01 AM

BTW, Christmas Day is very quiet - people sleeping in after a night at the bars, maybe visiting friends and eating sweets. Very low key.

PalenQ Oct 29th, 2017 12:50 PM

1. What has been the train experience from Madrid to Granada ? The only option is RENFE. The other option would be to take AVE to Cordoba and then take the RENFE to Granada ?>

RENFE runs AVE trains -one and the same company, www.renfe.com - book early for deep discounts- buses are always cheap but can take longer and inherently are not as comfy IMO IME as trains. Keep in mind discounted tickets are train-specific and not changeable so if flying in and training out leave plenty of time between plane and train -miss the train and you're out your discounted ticket and have to buy a full-fare one!

For lots on Spanish trains check www.seat61.com- great advice on booking your own discounted tickets online; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd skip the white towns on limited time and spend it all in Seville, Cordoba and Granada.

PalenQ Oct 29th, 2017 12:52 PM

BTW, Christmas Day is very quiet - people sleeping in after a night at the bars, maybe visiting friends and eating sweets. Very low key.>

typical I think of Catholic areas where the celebration is the evening before - like bedar says the next day is recovery day -in Paris for example many go for a stroll but do little special on Xmas day itself - midnight Mass is the big Christmas mass (not sure about Spain but figure it to be similar from bedar's comments).

inlandandalucia Oct 29th, 2017 07:44 PM

If you really wanna enjoy Christmas, then Cordoba will be a better option. Madrid and Granada are two of Spain's best-loved cities and are well connected by high-speed train. Traveling by train between Madrid and Granada is easy, affordable and fast.

PalenQ Oct 30th, 2017 12:15 PM

I plan to get Eurail passes and will search the forum for the best way as it looked like something one considering but again needs some planning.>

Forget any Eurailpass or Spain Pass - not taking enough trains even at full fare to make pay off. Book your own at www.renfe.com.

4TakeTheRoad Nov 3rd, 2017 08:28 AM

Thanks again everyone ! Continues to be great feedback ! Very helpful to know what to expect at a Spanish Navidad. We have tickets for Alhambra for 26th morning so the plan is to get together Granada by Christmas Eve. Plan to buy Renfe tickets now and the site Seats61 has been great. I plan to check on whether we can apply the discounted ticket fare to a new fare in case there are flight delays into Madrid.

Bedar Nov 3rd, 2017 08:59 AM

I believe that with discounted tickets there can be no changes but check it out and let us know.

PalenQ Nov 3rd, 2017 10:42 AM

I plan to check on whether we can apply the discounted ticket fare to a new fare in case there are flight delays into Madrid.>

Certainly not if you miss the train and perhaps not anyway - just leave a few extra hours between plane and train in case things are late.

MoBro Nov 4th, 2017 10:00 AM

We just returned home from Spain. We absolutely LOVED Sevilla! So charming, picturesque, and full of amazing restaurants.

I can highly recommend the apartment where we stayed: Casa Palacio San Jose V. We leased through Spain Select, as recommended by fodorite maitaitom.

This apartment was so sparkling clean, I was amazed. And located perfectly for walking in old Sevilla.

https://sevilla.spain-select.com/en_...cio-san-jose-v

The courtyard for the apartment building is so pretty, as is the rooftop terrace.

PalenQ Nov 4th, 2017 12:33 PM

If you really wanna enjoy Christmas, then Cordoba will be a better option.>

Curious as to why? Clueless myself about that.