How much time to spend in Capri?

Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:23 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much time to spend in Capri?

DH and I are going to Italy in May 2014. I have been to Capri twice before on day trips but on this trip I want to spend some time there and really see it. DH has never been but I am confident he will love it.

For those of you who have stayed in Capri, how much time do you recommend? I'm thinking 3 days but if that isn't long enough please tell me your thoughts.

In case it matters, our overall trip will include 13 nights, at least 7 of which will be spent in Rome.

Thanks.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you staying at Quisisana?

I just love Quisisana.

I could stay a week in Capri.

Thin
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:56 PM

WE are also going in May 2014. I'll be interested in the responses you get. We were thinking we'd stay 2 nights and take a late afternoon ferry to Positano.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM
kja

It really depends on the kinds of things you want to see and experience. If you want to see the highlights, one day is enough (and that can mean 1 night or 2 nights). If you want to hike, relax, or just sit enjoying stunning views, you'll want longer.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:15 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. Thin, we have booked the plane tickets but we are in the very early stages of planning and we haven't decided where to stay yet. I will look into Quisisana.

Judy, we will be there the first few days of May, maybe we will bump into each other.

kja, I want to re-visit Anacapri and go up the chair lift again. I would also like to take a boat around the island and visit the Blue Grotto. Yes I know, a lot of people say it's not worth the money but the last 2 times I've been in Capri I haven't been able to get in due to high tides and this is on the bucket list.

Do they have snorkeling in Capri? I absolutely love snorkeling. I also want to have a day at the beach.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM

We stayed 3 days and 3 nights. We enjoyed every minute but the Blue Grotto was closed the entire time we were there so we have to go back for a longer stay. On hindsight, we would like to have stayed 5 days - we spent a fair amount of time hiking and sightseeing but didn't have too much time to relax.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:32 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Yikes, why was the Blue Grotto closed the entire time? Did the tide stay high for 3 days?
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:33 AM
P_M
Original Poster

mamacalice, what time of year were you there? I was there once in November (another day trip) and we were told it's a bad time of year to visit the Blue Grotto.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:48 AM

We were there this past June for a conference. We spent a week, but that was because it was a week long conference. The days we had available to check out the blue grotto, it was closed because of rough water. We did a lot of hilking. Instead of taking the chair lift up from Anacapri, I walked up and back. It was really gorgeous. We hiked from the blue grotto to the light house. This was a bit long given the shoes I had brought, but it was lovely. The view from the lighthouse is great. We had our conference dinner there.

If I were to go back I would stay at least two nights, but preferably three. But, I have shifted my travel style to a slower pace.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 07:59 AM
P_M
Original Poster

This is becoming increasingly discouraging about getting into the grotto. While we are there we will have to check the tides daily and if the opportunity arises we will grab it.

I do love hiking and I am very much looking forward to that.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM

I have stayed on Capri twice for 5 nights each time, then returned several years later for another 3 night stay. We are slow travelers that also enjoy pool time mixed with walk-abouts (non strenous hikes!) so 5 night stays were fine with us. The trip that we stayed 3 nights was with a friend that had never been so it was more of a "hit the high points" visit, so to me that would be sufficient if you don't want a more prolonged visit.

Quisiana is big bucks - nice for you if you can swing it. We stayed at Hotel Mamela and like it just fine. Nice pool, lovely sea views, in quiet part of island but very walkable to the happening piazetta. Early May should be lovely but the sea and even the pool will be a bit chilly. Does the Q have a heated pool? Enjoy!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 01:20 PM

We were there in late September. The weather was perfect but the sea was to rough for the little boats that take you into the grotto. I have talked with others who had the same experient.
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 02:54 PM

P_M, we'll be there a little later than you....arriving May 11. It would have been fun to be there at the same time!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 04:29 PM
kja

I was fortunate and did get to see the Blue Grotto on my one visit to Capri, which was in May. The proprietor of my hotel checked the options the morning of my day there and purchased the ticket for my boat ride. BTW, if you haven't seen it, consider visiting the Villa San Michele in Anacapri - lovely!
Old Aug 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Judy, I'm sorry we will miss you.

kja, I'm glad to know someone got it, I was beginning to think it isn't doable. We will definitely visit Villa San Michele.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 04:54 AM

If you really like hiking (read: walking, especially the eastern side of the island) three nights would work well. I saw a lot of the eastern side of the island as well as a visit to Anacapri, Villa San Michele, the chairlift, and then the walk back down to Capri from Anacapri.

I was pretty much gogogogo the whole time I was there - I would leave the hotel around 830 or 9 AM after breakfast and would be back to get ready for dinner around 5 PM give or take (and usually stop in the middle to freshen up and head out to lunch). Otherwise I was moving. I could easily have stayed longer, slowed down the pace somewhat, and perhaps added in a few more visits. Villa Lysis was closed the day I went to Villa Jovis, for instance.

I didn't make it to the Blue Grotto because by the time I got to thinking about it it was closed that day. I didn't even check on the other days.

For a tiny island there is a lot to do and see.