Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

7:20 AM flight from Amsterdam to London, too early?

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying in Amsterdam for 5 nights and then flying on to London.

In the past I have avoided early morning flights and traveled later for a more relaxed journey.

The problem is that an entire day seems to be tied up in one simple trip.

Unfortunately, the next flight out is at 2:30PM.

Because of scheduling I will only be in Bath/Cotswolds for 3 nights of my trip. Should I bite the bullet and get up at 4:30 in the morning for a scramble to the airport or relax and miss an additional day in the Cotswolds?
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 04:53 AM

I would get up early!
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:00 AM

Hi Miami - Which airline are you looking at?

For Bath it would be more convenient to fly into Bristol.

Easyjet fly Amsterdam-Bristol. From Bristol airport you can be in Bath in 30-60 mins.

www.easyjet.com

If you especially want to fly into London check out flights to Luton/Gatwick/Stansted. There are lots of morning flights ... ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Is your itinerary still somewhat flexible?
Different airline from AMS to LON that will leave in between?
Are you planning to visit London, or do you just pick up car / use rail to go to the Cotswolds? Birmingham could be an alternative.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 05:09 AM

It seems to me that giving up 5 hours of the trip is a lot. I'd probably try to do the early flight and load up on coffee in the morning to be ready for the day. But I have a fairly high tolerance for being short on sleep and love to explore as much as possible. If your vacation is primarily for relaxation and not for seeing as much as possible in a few days, the extra sleep may be well worth it.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

I see that I need to provide more information.

I am fly using points from Miami to Amsterdam using American airlines on September 9, 2008. (I need to book EARLY to get the direct flights).

On September 15 I fly to London with a 10-day layover before continueing to Miami. Thus my flight to London will be on American.

I am trying to make this decision now because at midnight tonight I can reserve the AMS to London leg.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were me _ and IF you are going to the Cotswolds that day I'd either

1) take the early a.m. flight - or
2) Is there a late night flight? I personally prefer to fly out of A'dam the night before, priceline a hotel at the London Airport, and leave for the Cotswolds early in the a.m.

You don't get much benefit of that last night/morning in Amsterdam anyway - so if you spend all day/evening in A'dam, get a good night's sleep in London, and get out to the Cotswolds earlier w/ more rest -- it is the best of all worlds.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Spatzle; I'm with you and love to see as much as possible. My companion believes vacations “should be enjoyed” and likes to take it easier. Thus I need some experienced opinions.

Janisj: Great suggestion but the last flight to London is at 4:10 PM. But, you have given me a good idea. There are flights at 9:50 and 11:45 AM but they are not offered as a link to a non-stop to Miami. Since I am planning an extended layover perhaps American will allow me to link these to my non-stop. All of my problems will be solved! I will try. Thanks to all.
Old Oct 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Even when it is an ordeal, I always prefer the early flight. When I have a flight later in the day, I just pace the floor or go to the airport 5 hours ahead of time.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM

Even though I don't generally like early flights, with Amsterdam it is so easy to get to the airport and Schiphol is pleasant. I would stay reasonably near the station in Amsterdam and take an early flight. With the one-hour time change and the short flight, you will basically have the whole day in London.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:23 PM

Why do you *HAVE* to book AMS to UK with American?

Why not do an open jaws / multi city ticket flying into AMS & out of LON then take the Easyjet flight to Bristol
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:38 AM

AlanRow:

I think the reason IM is doing AMS to LON (LHR or LGW)is that she is doing a stopover in London on the way back to Miami. Since she is using AA points, his/her route would have been MIA-AMS-LHR(stopover allowed on a gateway city)-AMS.

I am curious though, there is no direct flight from Miami to Amsterdam at American.Are you using multiairlines?
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 06:34 AM

also.. at least on delta FF vouchers, an open jaw costs MORE when booking.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:20 AM

We are doing an open jaw on AA flying into CDG and back from Amsterdam through London changing to an AA flight there(no layover). I believe that our flight out of Amsterdam is also at 7:20 but American booked us on BA for the Amsterdam - London leg. Check to see if that is what AA is doing for you as well since the carry-on luggage requirements on BA as I understand them differ from those of AA. BTW, on AA the FF cost of open jaw was the same as regular RT.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Instead of flying an open jaw I made the reservation as a round trip from MIA to AMS arriving September 10.

On September 15 I am flying back to MIA via LON with a 9 day stopover.

In this way AA pays for my flight from AMS to LON. I agree that BA has stricter carry-on rules and my companion will have to check his 18 inch bag.

I am using miles, (60,000) each for the flight and the reservation was made last Monday which was the first day they were available. It was the only way to be sure of getting the LON-MIA non-stop flights.