Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Highland games in Duftown, worth a visit or not?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a last minute trip arriving Glasgow next Wednesday at 7 am. My husband and I will rent a car from the airport and head north. There's a Highland games in Duftown on Saturday July 25th. I am debating whether to head there, or hangout in the Loch Lomond, Isle of Mull, Glencoe for some hiking before heading farther north. Will be skipping Isle of Skye and Edinburgh this trip, but we've never visited the Inverness Aberdeen areas. I know it's summer peak period but wonder if it's OK to wing it for accommodations, especially since I am considering checking in a camping gear bag with two man tent and sleeping bags to use if the weather is nice. We are very flexible travelers, the budget for lodgings is around 80 GBP max. Any tips and ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 06:04 AM

We slightly rearranged our 2011 trip to Scotland when I discovered that there where Highland Games in Pitlockry while we were near. One of my favorite days in Scotland, so I'd vote for yes.

I suspect winging-it is not advised...
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks elberko.
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 07:11 PM

I 2nd the yes. The Moray coastline with small towns and trails are great for hiking and bird watching. The Speyside Cooperage offers a very interesting tour but avoid late on Fridays. Loved the atmosphere at the Mash Tun and wished we had done the Aberlour Distillery Tour. The Benromach Distillery Tour is very good - just outside Elgin on your way to Aberdeen.
Old Jul 15th, 2015, 09:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoyed the Dufftown games. A wonderful atmosphere and a great way to spend an afternoon.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 01:31 AM

There are several Highland Games taking place in different locations during your trip, not just Dufftown. CHeck the calendar at:- http://www.shga.co.uk/visitor-events.php

It's well worth going to one if you are passing through the area but I wouldn't arrange my whole trip around it if it involves going from one end of the country to the other.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 02:18 AM

We have not been to the Higland Games in Dufftown, but in Callander (we drove there from our base at Loch Lomond) and enjoyed them very much.

The opening ceremony was very funny. The games are pretty relaxing to watch, the atmosphere is quite familiar. Even if you spend not much time at the games, you catch the spirit.

I would even dare to say that you get a feeling for the Scottish soul not before you have been to the Highland Games.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 12:44 PM

We took Nikki to Dufftown, and it was great fun. You'll easily find somewhere to stay, but probably not in Dufftown itself.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for helpful responses. Decided to drive from airport to Stirling castle, then towards Crail where will will spend two nights. Drive towards Aberdeen and spent a night in that area, Duftown on Saturday for the games. Essential a clockwise loop with Glencoe on way back to Glasgow to catch return flight.
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Anti clockwise, I mean.