Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   6 weeks Spain Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/6-weeks-spain-itinerary-1024519/)

nanael Sep 2nd, 2014 12:15 PM

6 weeks Spain Itinerary

For those of you that quickly assume we want all the work done for us: let me start out by saying that I do my research! I have 4 Travel books on Spain, multiple "saved" reports and bookmarked sights. And yes, I still would like some of your expert opinions.
We are just beginning to plan an extended trip to Spain in about a year, pending my DH's retiring. My dream of six months in Europe (at our ages, 63 and 68, I was thinking of doing several countries at one time!) was shot down finding out that 90 days out of 180 is all that is allowed... Anyway, the DH does not think he is ready (?!) for that long away from home.
Our last time in Spain was 30 years ago. So essentially, never!
We would like to base ourselves about a week or so in any given area to be able to experience it best. Ideally traveling mostly by train but we have no problem renting a car for visiting areas that would best be seen with the use of one. (I drove 6 weeks in Italy recently).
We would like to see ALL the regions of this large and diverse country. My main question: how to best break up our time. I would like to try renting apartments rather than hotels. B n B's are our most usual accommodations but want to spend less if possible.
Thank you.

annhig Sep 2nd, 2014 12:26 PM

Hi nanael,

the first question is - when?

yorkshire Sep 2nd, 2014 12:29 PM

The thing is, some regions of Spain might (to me OR to you) warrant less than a week, and some could warrant the entire 6 weeks! So, unless you want to totally wing it and see where serendipity takes you (not a bad idea--you have the time), I think your best bet is to continue reading until it is clear what moves you.
I do think one good strategy might be to start out by staying a week in a city. You need not feel obligated to visit every major city, but surely one of the biggies is appealing. So, I am thinking a week in a Madrid apartment might be a nice start. Then you could rent a car and do a loop. All of this depends on where you fly in and out of as well as time of year (i.e., avoiding Andalucia in August).

nanael Sep 2nd, 2014 01:18 PM

Thank you. Sorry - I meant to say next September to mid-October. My 8 yr old grandson has 3 week break late Sept and my daughter is wishing to join us for maybe 10 - 14 days. Will mix kid stuff - beaches, with regular touring with him - (at 6 yrs he visited Rome and loved it)
Yes, I am sure there are differences in amount of time time I should allow in the different regions. Just not how yet. We will more than likely fly into Madrid...

Robert2533 Sep 2nd, 2014 03:56 PM

Mid to late September is the beginning of the harvest season throughout Spain, which means a few wine harvest festivals; Rioja, Navarra, Ribera, Priorat, jerez, Málaga, etc. You might be interested in planning your visits around a few of them.

nytraveler Sep 2nd, 2014 04:45 PM

At that time of year I would start at the Atlantic coast, head across the north to Barcelona and then head south - so you get to Andalusia at the end of the trip - when the weather is not likely to be hideously hot.

nanael Sep 2nd, 2014 05:08 PM

Yes, I like both of these ideas! Maybe we can start in Barcelona rather than Madrid.

rialtogrl Sep 2nd, 2014 05:19 PM

Here are a couple more festivals to consider -

Santa Tecla (Sept. 14-24 in Tarragona)
It is an INCREDIBLE experience!
http://www.tarragonablog.com/categor...a-santa-tecla/

There is also the Merce festival in Barcelona, I have not been to that one... its about the same time as Santa Tecla.

And the Fiestas del Pilar in Zaragoza in mid-October, if you won't be in Andalucia by then :)

kja Sep 2nd, 2014 08:18 PM

As you have already realized, even 6 weeks will go so quickly that you can't see even all of the highlights of Spain in your available time!

Given all the research you've done, you can probably tell us about some of the areas that most -- or least -- capture your interests.

Some information about YOUR interests would also be helpful.

The good news: Spain is a wonderful country - you'll have a delightful adventure no matter what you choose!