Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > 6 week motorcycle trip through Europe
Notices

6 week motorcycle trip through Europe

Nov 30th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

6 week motorcycle trip through Europe

In 2005 I took a 23 day motorcycle trip starting in Northern Sweden, went down through Norway, back to Sweden, over to Germany via ferry, then to Amsterdam, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, French Alps, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, then back to Northern Sweden.

This coming year, from about April 10th to late May my girlfriend and I are planning another Europe MC trip. The plan is to Start in Sweden, head down to France via, Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium, then to Spain, then the Alps, then south all the way to Sicily, then take a ferry over to Greece, then to Turkey, then up the Croatian coast and go to Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Denmark, Norway and then back to Sweden.

This will be about 15,000 miles in about 6 to 6-1/2 weeks, kind of a lot but manageable. I want to see if anybody has any suggestions of any "must see stops" along the way.

To be more specific, the route will be as such:

Östersund-Stockholm-Copenhagen-Amsterdam-Brussels-Luxembourg-Reims-Paris-Bordeaux-Valencia-Barcelona-Lyon-Geneva-Chamonix-Florence-Rome-Naples-Palermo-Athens-(then if possible take a ferry to Turkey)-after turkey head to Dubrovnik-Füssen-Würzburg-Prague-Gmina Oświęcim (Auschwitz)-Copenhagen-Preikestolen (Norwa) - Trollstigen (Norway)-Östersund

We're on a bit of a budget so any suggestions of awesome campgrounds along the way, amazing towns, beautiful viewpoints, secluded beaches, quaint restaurants, etc. etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Nov 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Wow... you're asking for a lot. I'll start the ball rolling
with a suggestion for camping in France. Google "Camping Municipal"... almost every French town has a municipal campsite... many are actually very close to the town centers so you can park the bike and walk to get something to eat with no worries about driving after a glass or two of wine. Most Camping Municipals are very reasonable priced as well.

Good luck!
Nov 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, I'll definitely look into that. And yes, I know it's a lot of ground to cover for the time, but I figure if we end up staying longer we'll cut off some of the trip.

Thanks again!

Search this Thread