6 nights self-drive Ireland 1st time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi<BR>I'm having trouble posting today, hope this isn't a duplicate.<BR><BR>I'm ashamedly ignorant about Ireland and am inquiring on behalf of friends, family of four, who won a CIE self-drive one week trip to Ireland, and they're going this Easter time. They have never traveled outside the US before. Kids are 12 and 15.<BR>CIE will provide vouchers to the B&amp;Bs.<BR><BR>The T. Agent handling the trip has suggested this itinerary:<BR><BR>Arrive at Shannon, stay first night in<BR>Shannonside<BR><BR>One night in Killarney<BR><BR>One night in Waterford Castle<BR><BR>Two nights in the town of Clara (to visit friends)<BR><BR>One night Dublin<BR>Fly home from Dublin<BR><BR>I'm doing searches, but any hints or suggestions you can provide on routing, driving, economy-minded places to eat, B&amp;Bs, sightseeing, etc, would be appreciated
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:26 AM
cd

IMO your friends will miss the most beautiful scenery of Ireland by not going to the West. When arriving in Shannon, drive to Doolin for that first night. It's only 1 1/2 hrs from the airport and 10 min from the Cliffs of Moher.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

clarification:<BR>I understand that the first night on this CIE tour &quot;must&quot; (?) be in the Shannon area, and they will be staying in the Shannonside area in or around <BR>Limerick. ??
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:18 AM
KEC

Hi elaine~<BR>I did a similar trip through a Sceptre Ireland package. A first night in Limerick was included, but we decided to drive straight to Galway &amp; pay out of pocket for one night. It was a great decision. It enabled us to fit in more places that we really wanted to see...the one day really did make a big difference. There were some people who decided to drive to the Cliffs and Doolin and then drive back to sleep in Limerick that first night. I thought that it was too much hassle for $50.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:48 AM

Hi<BR><BR>We are planning our first trip also. From all that I have been reading, it seems that your friends really are not allowing enough time for Dublin. <BR>Why not just skip it until next time and fly out of Shannon.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Hi Elaine,<BR><BR>Several things to consider:<BR><BR>1. One drives a car on the right side of car and roadway. This takes a bit to get used to; but most left-siders can adapt if they are experienced drivers. Suggest the first day not include substantial driving; and staying away from major city centers.<BR>2. Irish roadways are a mixed bag - good, bad and indifferent. Secondary roads are generally narrow. Tertiary roads can present a challenge. The bottom line is that going is relatively slow therefore consolidating ones visit - particularly first timers - allows for taking in the sights rather than spending gobs of time on roadways traveling.<BR>3. Most Northern Americans tend to gravitate to the South (West and East). This is a beautiful area with many diverse things to see and do. Six days is a limited amount of time to experience Ireland.<BR><BR>Based on these three thoughts you may suggest to your friends the following for consideration:<BR><BR>Arrival day Shannonside - visit Bunratty and perhaps Ennis.<BR><BR>Day two - visit Doolin, the Burren and Cliffs of Moher. Stay in or near Doolin.<BR><BR>Day three - ferry across the Shannon to Dingle. Tour the Dingle Penn. Stay in Dingle (perhaps night three and four)<BR><BR>Day four - explore Dingle area. if not staying head to Killarney (perhaps Kenmare as an alternative). Explore the Lakes region of Killarney and visit Muckross House.<BR><BR>Day five - head to Clara to see friends.<BR>Return to Shannon or Dublin for return.<BR><BR>If a second day with friends is desired, they may want to skip Doolin/the Burren and Cliffs of Moher and proceed from Shannon to Dingle through Limerick/Adare (which takes you around the Shannon river instead of across by ferry.)<BR><BR>Hope they have a great time.<BR><BR>You may want to consider doing a search on Ireland - there are literally hundreds and hundreds of threads that will give you great information.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Hi Elaine:<BR><BR>It's nice of you to help your friends with their research. It appears from what you are saying that the two nights in Clara are pretty much set. I'm also guessing that the reservations have been made and changing the flight destinations would be a big problem now.<BR><BR>If that is true, the plans aren't too bad. Yes, everybody will recommend the west coast and it is spectacular, but with six days and two already arranged in Clara, they wouldn't have a whole lot of time to see the west. That's OK, it's not the only place to visit in Ireland.<BR><BR>Depending on the arrival time and energy, you could make it out to the Cliffs and back to Limerick. The Cliffs aren't that much closer to Galway than Limerick, so I would go ahead and keep the 1st night.<BR><BR>Shannon to Killarney is about 3-4 hours, so they should keep that in mind as they travel. They certainly won't have a chance to do the Ring of Kerry for instance. They will have time to see a bit of the lakes and the Nat'l park, but that's about it. This would be pretty rushed.<BR><BR>The night in Waterford Castle sounds great, but if they want to enjoy it, they should get there early and enjoy the ambiance. The problem is that there are a bunch of nice things to see enroute (sort of) and driving straight through to get there on time to enjoy the castle would be a shame.<BR><BR>There are some beautiful things to see around Clara including the Vale of Clara on the way to Glendalough. I'm sure her friends will have some great ideas. It's really enjoyable to know some locals. They'll see much more that way.<BR><BR>As hard as it is to say, with the emphasis on Clara and the eastern side of the country, I think I would opt for not going to the west at all other than the first day. Instead of Killarney, they could go to Cahir/Cashel or Kilkenny. Yes the west is spectacular, but you really won't see much of it making a quick trip to Killarney.<BR><BR>One other note. Ireland closes down for Easter and Good Friday, so much of what is normally available to see won't be. Keep that it mind.<BR><BR>Bill
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Elaine -<BR>My 13 yr-old daughter loves Killarney, Galway &amp; Kinsale. Let me know if your interested in any sites.<BR>-k
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Elaine,<BR><BR>Congratulations on your upcoming trip to Ireland. You'll undoubtedly have a swell time, but, as suggested by Bill, you might want to re-think your itinerary. Six nights is a short stay, and while the desire to see as much of Ireland as possible is understandable, you'd be well served to limit yourself to a certain region. I think it'll make for a more relaxing and satisfying time.<BR><BR>Rather than spending some fleeting moments in Killarney and Waterford (one day in the former will not at all be satisfying), I'd suggest you head east and spend the bulk of your holiday in the Wicklow Mountains. This is an attractive region, about an hour's drive from Dublin, and there's so much to see and do. Consider Powercourt Gardens, Glendalough (a must-see and next to the Vale of Clara), and Mount Usher Gardens, to name but a few attractions. What's more, this region is a good base for trips to the Rock of Cashel and Kilkenny City, along with the very underrated Co. Kilkenny countryside. Alternatively - especially if you're interested in horses - consider a trip to nearby Kildare, home of the National Stud. Next to this is the very fine Japanese Gardens.<BR><BR>The pull of Ireland's west is strong, and with good reason, but the country has many wide-reaching charms, one of which includes the Wicklow region.<BR><BR>Best of luck. <BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Ardfert

The town of Clara is not in the Vale of Clara but in County Offaly,in the midlands,not far from the main Galway to Dublin road.I would be inclined to spend my time in the south and west and skip Waterford.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Ardfert:<BR><BR>Actually, there are two Claras. One in County Offaly and one on R755 between Rathdrum and Glendalough, right in the middle of the Vale of Clara.<BR><BR>Based on Elaine's route, I guessed that she meant the Wicklow Clara not the Offaly Clara. If she is going to the Offaly Clara, her itinerary would not make much sense.<BR><BR>Is this correct Elaine?<BR><BR>Bill
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi<BR>thanks to all for your very helpful information. I can't respond in detail to what are very useful questions from some of you because, as I mentioned, it's not my trip, it's someone else's, and they are a little vague on the details themselves.<BR> <BR>I'm a little worried about my friends, they are lovely people but not especially good planners in general,and this will be their first trip out of the U.S.<BR><BR>Still, I guess one way or another they will figure it out, I am just eager for their first overseas travel experience to be a good one. <BR><BR>thanks again
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 02:09 PM

Elaine I would stongly suggest that you pose you query on this site.Probably the most helpful for Ireland travel.<BR>www.ireland-withpatpreston.com/forum
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 06:17 PM

My husband and I did a very similar trip in August of 2001. <BR><BR> Please tell your friends to SLOW DOWN and get out of the car!<BR><BR>Kind of a long post...fast forward to end for my suggestions:<BR><BR>There was so much we wanted to see that we drove into Dublin for Night 1 then on to Cashel for night 2 then waterford for night 3, dingle fr nights 4 and 5 and to a small manor house outside of Shannon for night 6, flew out of Shannon the next day.<BR><BR>The distances that seem so reasonable on paper (it isn't a huge country, right?) become VERY long when you are driving down tiny roads with hedgerows on each side, on the 'wrong' side of the road. <BR><BR> We saw wonderful glimpses of little villages and farms and tons of things we wanted to explore but stuck to our itinerary, believing there would be more of those things at our next destination. We were afraid to &quot;waste&quot; time and potentially get lost in the dark somewhere or miss our B&amp;B reservation.<BR><BR>Don't get me wrong, we had a wonderful trip but would LOVE to go back and do it differently!<BR><BR>1. We wouldn't try to see the whole darn country in 6 days. We would probably have picked two areas and allowed ourselves plenty of time to get from one to another.<BR><BR>2. We would reserve B&amp;B's EARLY! The one we did most belatedly was our worst experience (Dublin fills up quickly turns out!)<BR><BR>3. We'd sight see in the major areas but try to stay outside them. We loved the last little village we stayed in. It's funny, in Dublin it was murder trying to get into a pub and grab dinner after 8:30 or 9. In the country they were open, serving food, made room for us at their tables and sang to us!<BR><BR>4. We'd never underestimate the stress and fatigue of driving! My husband got so frustrated that he pretty much insisted I learn to drive a manual so I could share the load! Turns out driving with a shift on the left I can do, it's the right I seem to have trouble with! ;-)<BR><BR>Hope this helps. It probably sounds a bit negative, but writing it has made me long to go back. Oh! Spend time on the Dingle peninsula - It is so wonderful. see Slea Head and Three Sisters, take a look through old records in the vilage churches, buy pottery, watch a golf or soccer game in a pub and walk through the countryside. You won't regret it!
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

more great advice, thanks all for taking the time