6 Nights In Sicily-Thoughts About Changing Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is our itinerary for the six nights we have at the end of our trip to Italy in late September/early October. I am seriously reconsidering the two nights in Agrigento (cutting to one) and also the two nights in Ortigia. Two reasons:
DH has relatives (althought distant) in Porticello near Cefalu and I read a post here from last year inquiring about basing out of Cefalu or Ortigia and read some not so great things about spending time in Ortigia. Maybe it should just be a day trip? Please, if you have been to Sicily and can offer some guidance I would certainly appreciate it. We want to see as much as we can but want to have some relaxation thrown in before we return home.

Selinunte 1 night
(see Segesta, Trapani & Erice)
> http://bedandbreakfast.villasogno.it/
> Agrigento 2 nights
(see the valle dei templi)
> http://www.villadiana.ag.it/index.htm
> Ragusa Ibla 1 night
(see Piazza Armerina and dine at Il Duomo))
> http://www.lortosultetto.it/
> Siracusa/Ortigia 2 nights
(?)
> http://www.aretusavacanze.com/italiano/home.htm
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM

We stayed in Sicily in Agrigento at (I think the name was (Villa Diana) it was right in the Valley of the Temples. We could look out our door right at the big temple. At night it is lit with spotlights and is beautiful. The food was good. The hotel was landscaped nicely and it was very relaxing. We also stayed at Hotel Taos which was owned by the same people and it was right on the Mediteranen. Not far from Agrigento. It was bigger and fancier but also very relaxing. Stay in Agrigento for the 2 nights.
We have visited relatives on vacations and I found it very difficult. When I travel, especially overseas, I want to see new things and enjoy being somewhere else, I do not want to visit and sit in someone's house for hours. If you want to meet up with relatives do it the evening before you leave and meet them for dinner and drinks. Sorry it is not that I don't like relatives but...
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
LJ

Ortigia is really the old city of Siracusa...it is charming and an ideal locale for exploring this coast. We spent 2 weeks exploring from there and loved coming back to the charm of this authentic and quiet area each time. I don't know what you heard and, of course, can't possibly comment on the pros and cons of your husband's family home. (However, we have family we stayed with just west of Palermo-wonderful people, great food...masses of it... just be prepared to be swallowed alive by attention: these are Sicilians and it goes with the tradition of overwhelming hospitality).
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Are you arriving at Palermo airport? Will you have a car? Is your plan to arrive, drive to Segesta, then Trapani and go up to Erice, then go to Selinunte for you first night?
Old May 20th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Granmom_4 - thanks for giving Agrigento a boost. Our lodging is at Villa Diana but they don't talk up a view of the temples. I will check that out. And yes, I know, Sicilians, smothering relatives. It must be because I'm an only child that I love the big Italian la famiglia!
LJ-type in Cefalu vs Ortigia on the search bar and read the post started by nkluedke. This is what is scaring me away from Ortigia. Yes I know la famiglia...
TravMimi - Yes, you have our first day down pat esatamente! Then onto Porto Paolo for lunch at Da Vittorio the second day with sight seeing in Sciacca, maybe a bath at the hot springs. Second and third nights at Villa Diana. Fourth day see Piazza Armerina with fourth night in Ragusa Ibla. Fifth sixth in Ortigia.
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM

That's a very busy first day. The archaeological park area at Segesta has a walking circut of about 3 miles. Once you are sitting at the theater looking at the views, it's not easy to get up and leave. It needs at least 2 hours. Erice is a beautiful wandering town, and needs at least 3 hours. Don't know how much time you plan to spend in Trapani. Selinunte archaeological areas are also very large. Porto Paolo and Sciacca, though both nice shouldn't take up too much time. Hot springs visit might. There are some great things to see at Agrigento and it does need 2 nights. Museum is very nice, and a look at the Scala dei Turchi to me is a must. As for the Villa Casale near Piazza Armerina, I have never been when it wasn't crowded and hot inside, so it might not take up too much time. Ragusa is a nice city. I love Ortigia and can easily spend 2 nights there. Very nice fish and food street market. Sircusa has an archaeological park and very nice museum complex. If you want a bit of nature you can go kayak down the Anapo or papyrus Ciane rivers. Quite a surprise to people who visit Sicily. Sounds like a busy trip, but you sound like you know this. Have a wonderful time!! Ahhhh bella Sicilia
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

TravMimi-Yes, I know it sounds busy but we arrive at 7:00 am in Palermo and will head out right away. I have heard Segesta is incredible and we will see it in the morning before things heat up. I don't know if Trapani truly warrants a visit. Have you been there? Any comments? I figured lunch in Erice and heard of a fabulous bakery there. Then on to check in to Villa Sogno and we might just lounge by the pool for awhile. Thanks for giving Agrigento a nod for the two nights. I have also heard there are some incredible beaches in the area and we do want to relax as well as see the sights. So Ortigia has great markets, huh? Glad then that we will have an apartment to do some cooking while there. Oooh! Kayaking sounds like a fun plan, I'm going to check into that. Alas, a busy trip but I want to see and do as much as I can on this, our very first, trip to bella Sicilia. My doubts about Ortigia came from reading another post as I originally indicated and I thought perhaps we should ditch that and head to Cefalu as friends have said it is quite beautiful too. However since we fly out of Catania, I think my original plan is what we will stick with. Thanks for your help and input!
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM

I think your plans sound great. I think you know exactly what you're doing, and what it will take, and I think you can do it. Trapani has some nice things to see and do, but unless you have all the time in the world to wander around Sicily, I would pass this time. Most people just pull over to take pictures of the salt pans. As far as Cefalu vs Ortigia, I don't even see why they would be compared. They are totally different, and in different areas. Cefalu is a gorgeous beach town. It's a great base for doing the north coast. You will probably want to return to Sicily and can base there next time. You still have volcanoes, caves, canyons, the Aeolians, Palermo, and places like Poggioreale the modern day Pompeii to see. I like your plan. Have a great trip.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM

Here is a partial sneak preview for you:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...at=3828&page=2
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM

Galelstrom :
We stayed at Villa Diana last fall. It is a lovely place, the hosts are charming and it has no view of the Valley of the Temples.
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

TravMimi-Thank you for your wishes for a buon viaggio! You are right, of course, that we will want to return and next time can do the northern side of the island.
bobthenav-you photographs are so beautiful! I can't wait for this experience.
Pvoyageuse-Glad to hear you had a great experience at Villa Diana. I didn't think it was even close to the Vaale dei templi. In fact it seems to be a bit out of the actual town of Agrigento, right?
Old May 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM

Galelstrom : Villa Diana is about 2 miles from the Valley of the Temples and definitely not in the city of Agrigento.
When we booked, the owner send us directions on how to get there. Maybe you should ask him for a copy if he hasn't done so.
We spent 2 nights in Ortigia and loved it. However, do not attempt to drive there, the streets are very narrow and it's impossible to park. We left the car at Talete, a huge and very cheap parking place (free during the day, €1 per night)and went to Notto by bus.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Pvoyageuse- Yes, Dario sent me directions on how to get to Villa Diana too so I'm not concerned. Just wondering about distances. Glad to hear you were also on Ortigia and WOW! thanks for the tip on where to find cheap parking. This will help out tremendously. Just curious, where did you stay on Ortigia?
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM

We stayed at Palazzo del Sale, really hard to find in spite of the directions they gave me
We left the car at TALETE and took a free shuttle bus to Piazza Archimede. Some of the shuttles also stop at Fonte Aretusa which is closer.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hadn't seen the other thread on Ortigia vs. Cefalu and think the reaction against Ortigia is way overblown. I've been to both places, and would go back to Ortigia in preference to Cefalu every time. But I'm not a beach person or a shopper, and I found much more of interest in Ortigia. My TR on Sicily is here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-sicily.cfm?62